Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to get 250 miles on the interstate with a 2022 M3P?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only because you managed to live somewhere with absolutely minimal electric costs. This is not the average experience across the USA, which you know fully as you live in CA right now.

Fuel in Palm Springs is about $4.60 a gallon right now. At 23 MPG, that's exactly $20 to go 100 miles.
At 300-400wh/mi, that would be 30kWh-40kWh. For fuel to be 5X, that would require electric to be $4 or less. Which is 10 cents or less per kWh.
Tell me, what is your current kWh cost in CA?

LOL - please explain to the crowd what the price of fuel in Palm Springs has to do with this discussion???

The average price in the US is actually 11.1 cents/KWH: US Electricity Profile 2021

I'm done discussing this with you.

Argue with someone else - my statements about the OP's situation remain true, whether you accept them or not.

Last edited:
MPG goes down from 65 to 75 but not as bad as the tesla based on a percentage. Unless like someone said the range is rated 315 at 48 mph.
While the old EPA highway test averages 48mph, the window sticker numbers for vehicles that use the two cycle tests (i.e. the old ones) are substantially derated from the test results. Vehicle companies can optionally use the five cycle tests (i.e. the old ones plus three newer ones from 2008), although there is still some derating before getting the window sticker numbers.

The average price in the US is actually 11.1 cents/KWH: US Electricity Profile 2021
And gas in 2021 was $3 a gallon, so now 100 miles is $13, and electricity needed to be under 7 cents to be 5X cheaper.
In September 2022, electricity was 16.32 cents: Electric Power Monthly - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

LOL - please explain to the crowd what the price of fuel in Palm Springs has to do with this discussion???
Again, I commuted in both, and the Tesla was at least 5x cheaper to keep fueled.
Because you didn't commute in CA. You commuted in IL, where you claim to sometimes have free electricity, which is how you got to at least 5X cheaper.
But you know that is not average or normal, because you live in CA now.

My issue is that people run around going "EV's are 5-10X cheaper to fuel than ICE cars!" and that is only true in very narrow circumstances. The general experience is 2-3X cheaper when charging at home, while being the same cost on road trips.

Argue with someone else - my statements about the OP's situation remain true, whether you accept them or not.
You cannot know that, as you do not know their electric rates, and it is highly unlikely that their rates are under 9 cents per kWh, which would be required to be 5X cheaper than premium fuel at 23 MPG, much less 10X.

• Disagree
Reactions: afadeev and Sandor
My issue is that people run around going "EV's are 5-10X cheaper to fuel than ICE cars!" and that is only true in very narrow circumstances. The general experience is 2-3X cheaper when charging at home, while being the same cost on road trips.

Other than the price of electricity, it also depends on which EV is compared to which ICEV. Driving habits can matter, although many of the efficient or inefficient driving habits are the same for EVs and ICEVs. However, more city driving (versus highway driving) tends to increase the EV's advantage, while greater use of cabin heat tends to decrease the EV's advantage.

Reactions: afadeev
Average electric price in IL is 16 cents per kWh.
Average central IL gas prices for premium is about $4.40.
I lived in Illinois for 58 of my 61 years, so please don’t try to tell me anything about the state or its electric rates.
TOU rates mean that charging overnight (you know, as people with home charging generally do) in Illinois is WAY less expensive than your theoretical average.
Ah - so you don’t understand the concept of “averages”, eh??
You can't make this stuff up!

What were you thinking? Obviously you should've towed the Tesla to the airport with your 4 ton truck, left the truck, and drove back in the Tesla. You gotta go back to pick them up right. Drive the Tesla back and use the truck to tow the Tesla on the return leg. S'ok, live and learn grasshopper.

• Funny
Reactions: Zcd1
Perhaps that was you driving 60mph on the highway, with two Playboy bunnies in the car on YouTube? One was steering, the other entertaining the owner in the back seat?

The rest of us who drive normal highway speeds (speed limit + 10 mph) not to be moving roadblocks, get ~280-290 Wh/mi on TM3P's. My lifetime is 285 Wh/mi.
Comparison, my experience with M3LR with 18" aeros is about 220-240 Wh/mi with stock wheels and tires at appropriately rapid speeds.

That is factually accurate, but you will have a hard time having folks on this forum accept any form or reality other than:
  • EVs are God-sent to save the Earth
  • Elon is the Prophet
  • ICE vehicles are dropping dead like horses
Hyper opinionating is detrimental to a rational discourse, yet is an expected behavior from a group of folks with an obvious self-selection membership bias.

That's 3X. Blend this 50%/50% home charging and supercharger and it's more like 1.7X. Not 5-10X.

3X is similar to what I see in NJ. And what one will find with Nationwide averages.
My (NJ) all-in electricity cost is $0.137245 per kWh ($0.094064 generating cost + $0.043181 delivery cost). US nationwide residential Electricity average is: $0.1632
My current (NJ) gas costs is $3.39 per gallon. US national regular gasoline average is: $3.49

If you take my personal historical 285 Wh/mi (TM3P) and my 23.5 MPG (M3), then the per 100 mile $$$ costs for each come out as follows:

EV vs. ICE costs.jpg

Basically, charging at home or at work, the EV savings are ~3.5x.
If you use Tesla Super Chargers, the EV cost per mile is roughly equivalent to driving an ICE vehicle. It's another good reason to avoid Super Chargers.

YMMV,
a

Right, so if you could get your Wh/mi to no higher than 245, or whatever the precise number is to get one mile traveled per predicted mile, you could in theory get the 250 miles on a full charge. I have a 2019 M3P with 18" wheels, what we used to call a Stealth Performance Model 3, with the performance specs minus the 20" wheels and lowered suspension, both of which are preferably eliminated by most. In any case, I have averaged, over 56k miles, 325 Wh/mi, not very efficient but I in truth have no dog in the efficiency game. I just don't care. Most of those 56k miles have been an interstate commute of 150 miles at 85 mph (speed limit 80) and return the same. I leave with 100% charge and arrive with 10-30% charge. My car was initially rated at 310 miles, now the computer states a guess of 290-295 miles at full charge. None of that is actually true. The biggest factors in efficiency are speed, temperature, elevation changes, and wind. Under ideal conditions at 55 mph, 70 degrees, and low wind, I might get one mile per predicted mile. I generally use 1.5 miles predicted per mile driven. When it's -15 degrees F in a snow storm and wind I have to slow down just to get one mile per two predicted miles. Point is even under ideal conditions I would never try 250 miles on a single charge. No way......

Reactions: afadeev
View attachment 881099

Basically, charging at home or at work, the EV savings are ~3.5x.
If you use Tesla Super Chargers, the EV cost per mile is roughly equivalent to driving an ICE vehicle. It's another good reason to avoid Super Chargers.
My home rate is a tad under 27 cents per kWh. The supercharger closest to my house has 24/7 rate of 27 cents per kWh. I get no savings at home in my case. All other superchargers nearby are 27 cents off peak and 54 cents during peak. Ouch!

My home rate is a tad under 27 cents per kWh. The supercharger closest to my house has 24/7 rate of 27 cents per kWh. I get no savings at home in my case. All other superchargers nearby are 27 cents off peak and 54 cents during peak. Ouch!
The everchanging rates have been updated again. My local supercharger is no longer 27 cents 24/7. It is now 34 cents off hours and 48 cents peak. Oh well, home charging it is.

Right, so if you could get your Wh/mi to no higher than 245, or whatever the precise number is to get one mile traveled per predicted mile, you could in theory get the 250 miles on a full charge. I have a 2019 M3P with 18" wheels, what we used to call a Stealth Performance Model 3, with the performance specs minus the 20" wheels and lowered suspension, both of which are preferably eliminated by most. In any case, I have averaged, over 56k miles, 325 Wh/mi, not very efficient but I in truth have no dog in the efficiency game. I just don't care. Most of those 56k miles have been an interstate commute of 150 miles at 85 mph (speed limit 80) and return the same. I leave with 100% charge and arrive with 10-30% charge. My car was initially rated at 310 miles, now the computer states a guess of 290-295 miles at full charge. None of that is actually true. The biggest factors in efficiency are speed, temperature, elevation changes, and wind. Under ideal conditions at 55 mph, 70 degrees, and low wind, I might get one mile per predicted mile. I generally use 1.5 miles predicted per mile driven. When it's -15 degrees F in a snow storm and wind I have to slow down just to get one mile per two predicted miles. Point is even under ideal conditions I would never try 250 miles on a single charge. No way......
This is about what I get as well in the winter with a 2019 M3P. At 80 mph, my range max is 175 miles.

Reactions: PACEMD
I just don't see 250 miles happening on a 2022 P3D+ with 20" rims unless you are going under 55mph the entire way and are comfortable going from 100% to less than 10% on the battery.

I just did a 175 mile run on a 60 degree day in my 2020 P3D- (18" aero wheels no covers) with no heat or AC running. It took me down from 100% to 24% with a reported average consumption of 253wh/mi. I basically drove either 72mph or 77mph for about 95% of the trip keeping it a steady 7mph over the speed limit. The trip was all interstate except for the first and last 5 miles and no real traffic to speak of aside from a few stoplights right before I got to the supercharger. Extrapolate that out to 100% of the battery and that's roughly 235 miles of range and that is on 18s not 20s.

Reactions: Blacktes24