Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to get 250 miles on the interstate with a 2022 M3P?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Owning an electric car is just different than an ICE car. You should understand that it's very good, but can't match the range of some ice cars because battery technology is still evolving. ICE engines are about as far as they can go, and it took 100 years for it to happen. But we all know that.

Accept that you'll have to stop to charge more frequently on a very long road trip, and you'll likely feel better about the whole thing.

This thread has been "interesting", to say the least.

I recall an extremely similar situation/question being posted some time ago, except in that case, the airport was DFW, instead of some unnamed airport in some unnamed state. In that case, similar comments were made from all sides of the discussion, and the OP eventually ghosted the thread.

Reactions: ElectricIAC

I recall an extremely similar situation/question being posted some time ago, except in that case, the airport was DFW, instead of some unnamed airport in some unnamed state. In that case, similar comments were made from all sides of the discussion, and the OP eventually ghosted the thread.
Excellent story, please tell it again! ;)

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Its interesting to see such a wide range of charging costs vs. gas costs depending on the region. What we know is that EVs will generally be cheaper but the range of how much cheaper is pretty wide. For example, I have solar panels that are paid off and have already broken even on cost so I save a ton vs. what I would have paid for electricity through my local utility. My prior sports sedan was $3k per year on fuel vs. $0 now for my M3P (and I drive my M3P far more aggressively). I have a friend who Supercharges regularly and their cost is slightly cheaper than gas. In the end, the EVs potentially have a very high magnitude of savings given the individual situation. Having solar panels, a garage, and not paying a cent is pretty common in my neighborhood so hard to just generalize on relative savings.

I stopped to charge on NJ turnpike supercharger and charged for 13 mins. I looked over at the gas station and all the pumps had 7-9 cars lined up.
IMG_5782.jpeg

In Sept, I stopped at the Trenton, NJ stop on the turnpike, and it was full! Only because the previous stop on the turnpike the supercharger was right as you get off the pike, and if you pass it to drop people off, you can't backtrack to the supercharger. So, lots of us end up at the next supercharger in Trenton.

Mine is a 2022 I picked up in May. I believe it was rated at 315 when I picked it up. Shows 310 if full now with 2600 miles.

What blows my mind is the nav in the car when planning a long trip will show what percent it thinks will be left at the next supercharger and it never gets close to it's estimate. You'd think when estimating SOC left at next station they'd account for the speed limit. Luckily on a couple "long" trips I always go well over what it says I need for SOC. Got down to 5-6% on one and was sweating it decent until I rolled in.
Kyle Connor from Out of Spec has proved that once you get down to 5-6%, just lower your speed to say 30-40MPH and don't do any sudden or hard throttle inputs. You should have no problem reaching your destination because:
- Newer Tesla's have a buffer
- A steady 30-40mph is about the lowest consumption point for an EV

I had a similar experience once where it was late late at night and I needed to get to a supercharger 30 miles away with about 8% battery before departing. I drove at a steady 35mph, and even though it took a long time to get there, I arrived with about 10% battery. Regen and low consumption works nice at that speed.

Reactions: santua

I live in IL and aiport is IND. not sure why it's relevant.

Anyways on my way home I was lucky and the airport had one fast charge stall left. Think they have 4(maybe 6) and one was blocked by a ICE escalade even tho it says EV parking only 4 hours max. Only 1 other car was actively charging so I charged for about an hour to get enough to make it home. Ideally they'd have more charging stalls for the destination chargers because sadly most of the EVs parked there weren't even charging. Why take off for a flight and not use a destination charger other than the parking is right by the elevator?

I drove slower on the way home than the way there and did better but still not great. Interestingly if you look at the power stuff it shows projected range and then also another graph with estimated vehicle consumption. I was within 9 miles better or so on projected range but not even close on est. vehicle consumption. Why is there such a massive discrepancy on "projected" range for the trip and "rated" range for the trip?

Attachments

• Untitled 3.jpg
    Untitled 3.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 30
  • Untitled 34.jpg
    Untitled 34.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 41
I just don't see 250 miles happening on a 2022 P3D+ with 20" rims unless you are going under 55mph the entire way and are comfortable going from 100% to less than 10% on the battery.

I just did a 175 mile run on a 60 degree day in my 2020 P3D- (18" aero wheels no covers) with no heat or AC running. It took me down from 100% to 24% with a reported average consumption of 253wh/mi. I basically drove either 72mph or 77mph for about 95% of the trip keeping it a steady 7mph over the speed limit. The trip was all interstate except for the first and last 5 miles and no real traffic to speak of aside from a few stoplights right before I got to the supercharger. Extrapolate that out to 100% of the battery and that's roughly 235 miles of range and that is on 18s not 20s.
I'm supposed to go visit some friends on the gulf coast and they are wanting me to road trip it in the tesla so they can check it out and I was initially wanting to as well. But the amount of superchargers aren't great on I55 and one is in memphis and I don't want to end up there at a bad time. Other route that ABRP shows is a little more east and goes east of memphis and east side of MS. I think the only way I could make it without much range anxiety would be charger higher than route shows I need and go no more than 65 mph on a couple of the stops that are tighter on range.

I’m happy we went for the LR, especially now that it’s our first winter with an EV. We kept going back and forth about upgrading by asking ourselves how many times would we really need those extra miles. Turns out, we needed them more than we knew.

Reactions: Blacktes24
I’m happy we went for the LR, especially now that it’s our first winter with an EV. We kept going back and forth about upgrading by asking ourselves how many times would we really need those extra miles. Turns out, we needed them more than we knew.
Wish I'd went for the long range as well and bought acceleration boost.

This also makes me question why the M3P doesn't get the range of the LR if you just put it in chill and drive normal? It's the same battery and motors isn't it? And the performance from 40+ mph is identical from what I've read. It can't just be the wheels or it would be easy to get the better mileage.

Reactions: phishphan
Anyways on my way home I was lucky and the airport had one fast charge stall left. Think they have 4(maybe 6) and one was blocked by a ICE escalade even tho it says EV parking only 4 hours max. Only 1 other car was actively charging so I charged for about an hour to get enough to make it home. Ideally they'd have more charging stalls for the destination chargers because sadly most of the EVs parked there weren't even charging. Why take off for a flight and not use a destination charger other than the parking is right by the elevator?

I drove slower on the way home than the way there and did better but still not great. Interestingly if you look at the power stuff it shows projected range and then also another graph with estimated vehicle consumption. I was within 9 miles better or so on projected range but not even close on est. vehicle consumption. Why is there such a massive discrepancy on "projected" range for the trip and "rated" range for the trip?
Rated range is simply the EPA efficiency times the left over battery capacity. Unless you drive like how the EPA cycle is done, it's largely irrelevant to how much actual range you get. It's mainly useful for being used to have a multiplier (for example I use a 25% margin myself), and also as an indirect indicator of degradation and battery capacity.