Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to get 250 miles on the interstate with a 2022 M3P?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wish I'd went for the long range as well and bought acceleration boost.

This also makes me question why the M3P doesn't get the range of the LR if you just put it in chill and drive normal? It's the same battery and motors isn't it? And the performance from 40+ mph is identical from what I've read. It can't just be the wheels or it would be easy to get the better mileage.
Wheels and aero covers can make a significant difference, especially in cold weather where air and tire resistance may go up.

Wish I'd went for the long range as well and bought acceleration boost.

This also makes me question why the M3P doesn't get the range of the LR if you just put it in chill and drive normal? It's the same battery and motors isn't it? And the performance from 40+ mph is identical from what I've read. It can't just be the wheels or it would be easy to get the better mileage.
If I’m just driving casually around town I can get 220 wh/mi in my P3D- on the stock 18s. I get closer to 250 wh/mi around town when I swap to the 20s and performance summer tires.

If you can keep it under 60 on the interstate I think 250wh/mi is doable on 20s also it’s just hard to go long distances on the interstate at that low of a speed.

I bought my first P3D+ (R.I.P.) in Savannah Georgia and drove it back to Virginia with no issues. That was a 2018 with stock 20s and pilot tires. I stopped at 2 supercharger on the way and found that the software was great for telling me where and for how long to charge.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I'm supposed to go visit some friends on the gulf coast and they are wanting me to road trip it in the tesla so they can check it out and I was initially wanting to as well. But the amount of superchargers aren't great on I55 and one is in memphis and I don't want to end up there at a bad time. Other route that ABRP shows is a little more east and goes east of memphis and east side of MS. I think the only way I could make it without much range anxiety would be charger higher than route shows I need and go no more than 65 mph on a couple of the stops that are tighter on range.
If you’ve got the time to take an extra stop or two I’m sure it’ll be fine. But let’s be honest, road tripping in an EV is a little bit of a headache still. That’s why my wife has an outlander PHEV that we take on longer trips it’s just easier.

You don’t want to arrive on empty especially if your friends are gonna want to check the car out. And you’ll want it to have at least 60% charge so it doesn’t feel slow 😂 Will you have L2 charging available once you get there?

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Wish I'd went for the long range as well and bought acceleration boost....It can't just be the wheels or it would be easy to get the better mileage.

Wheels and tires are probably 80+% of the difference.

The Michelin PS4S and Pirelli PZero Elect have good rolling resistance for a UHP summer tires, but nothing like as low as the shaved MXMs that are standard equipment on the LR.

Last edited:
I agree the 18" standard tires are more efficient but even my M3P-, stealth performance model 3, performance motor in an otherwise LR AWD vehicle, meaning performance motor with standard 18" tires and suspension, does not come close to matching the efficiency of an otherwise LR AWD. Change the tires, sure, but don't expect the same efficiency. The tires may be perceived as 80% of what you can change without effort, more than that is driving habits, perhaps settings, and conditions.

The only difference between an M3P- and an LR AWD is software that unlocks more acceleration.
If you don't use more acceleration, there is zero difference.
Basically nobody gets the rated range in a Tesla, but there is no reason to believe that an M3P on identical tires to an LR AWD would get any different efficiency if driven exactly the same way.

Personally, I drive my M3P exactly the way it was meant to be driven :)
1670712832132.png

• Funny
Reactions: XPsionic and KenC
The only difference between an M3P- and an LR AWD is software that unlocks more acceleration.
If you don't use more acceleration, there is zero difference.
Basically nobody gets the rated range in a Tesla, but there is no reason to believe that an M3P on identical tires to an LR AWD would get any different efficiency if driven exactly the same way.

Personally, I drive my M3P exactly the way it was meant to be driven :)
View attachment 883554
That's not completely accurate. Review all the past looooooong discussions on this topic. It is not just unlocked software. The motor is/has been/may be in fact different. And you might THINK it's a simple matter of how you drive or if you use only Chill mode, but it is in fact not always that straight forward.

Last edited:
The motors in the M3P and M3P- at the time were identical. At one point, as I recall, the motor for the LR AWD was in fact the same and software controlled but later the motor itself was changed. That's why the software acceleration update for the LR AWD was limited and less than the performance models. Is that still the case? I don't know. In the old days, it was like computer processors. Which ones are rated for which speed and which ones can be boosted is a matter of the manufacturer's certainty in process and guarantee, neither of which is absolute.

Reactions: gearchruncher
The motor is in fact different.
Not always. For a long time, the 980 motors were put in lots of cars.
If the 980 motor impacts range, Tesla would need to disclose this when they gave people 980's, but they did not.
Notice if you buy acceleration boost, it also doesn't change the range.
Electric motors don't work that way anyway. A higher kW motor is not less efficient, in fact it is often more efficient.

Reactions: PACEMD
If the 980 motor impacts range, Tesla would need to disclose this when they gave people 980's, but they did not.
Electric motors don't work that way anyway. A higher kW motor is not less efficient, in fact it is often more efficient.
Right, it's not all a simple this or that. I'm not saying that the performance model is by limit always inherently less efficient. That does not have to be the case. Just that ability to apply more energy does not necessarily affect efficiency. Mine is certainly less efficient, mostly because I don't give a sh*t.....

Yeah, I don't think a more powerful motor would be less efficient, usually it's actually more efficient because to achieve the higher power, it typically handles more current and that typically means better efficiency (when at the same load). The worse efficiency typically is because given a more powerful car, most people that buy one will use it that way.

There are other differences like the different brakes and different wheel hubs (something that have caused issues like a thread recently of a wheel being stuck), but presumably that wouldn't have much of an effect on efficiency.

I think most likely the wheels and aero caps make up most of the difference. It's just that not many M3P owners run the 18" aeros because you have to machine it out to account for the lip on the hub (although supposedly some later versions of the 18" does have it machined).

The focus on 18" for wheels as a magic number is over-blown.
The SHAPE of the wheel, and the TIRES you put on it matter way more.
Even Tesla puts aero covers on 18" wheels.
The weight of the wheel matters ZERO for highway cruise. It's just physics. It takes no additional energy to keep a heavier object rotating than a lighter one.

That's completely false. A C7 Z06 gets 23 MPG. Current USA premium fuel average is $4.25. So to go 100 miles in a Z06 costs $18.48.
The OP is getting 180 miles on 72 kWh. That's 40kW to go 100 miles (plus charging inefficiency)
Supercharger prices are easily 40 cents per kWh (they have hit 56 cents in CA). That's $16 to go 100 miles.

That's the same price. Not 10X. Not even double.
I charge at home for 1/3 the cost used in this comparison. It’s even lower since we are almost fully solar, but that’s what I pay for 1 more kWh.

If you required the corvette to only buy AV gas from the airport concession, you would also get a different result.

Basically nobody gets the rated range in a Tesla,
It is not any harder to get the rated range in a Tesla than in other cars.

However, the forum population generally tends to prefer driving very fast on highways, so it is not surprising that the forum population tends to have worse economy than rated (and most probably had worse economy than rated in other cars, if they checked). This is probably especially true for those who choose the performance model or buy the acceleration boost.

But many people drive mostly ordinary commutes of mixed city and highway, where highway speed is limited by traffic density to relatively economical speeds.

(and most probably had worse economy than rated in other cars, if they checked). This is probably especially true for those who choose the performance model or buy the acceleration boost.
My BMW M5 is rated at 13 MPG mixed, 17 MPG highway. I get 14 mixed, and when I drive 80 MPH, I get 18 on the highway.
I just drove a rental corolla for 300 miles this weekend and got 33 MPG mixed. Rated 33 MPG mixed.
Yet my M3P uses 50% more energy than rated when I drive it.

But many people drive mostly ordinary commutes of mixed city and highway, where highway speed is limited by traffic density to relatively economical speeds.
I live in Seattle, one of the busier metros. One of the massive differences is the use of heat- which can have a very large impact. Lots of short drives exacerbate this.

If you’ve got the time to take an extra stop or two I’m sure it’ll be fine. But let’s be honest, road tripping in an EV is a little bit of a headache still. That’s why my wife has an outlander PHEV that we take on longer trips it’s just easier.

You don’t want to arrive on empty especially if your friends are gonna want to check the car out. And you’ll want it to have at least 60% charge so it doesn’t feel slow 😂 Will you have L2 charging available once you get there?
I honestly want to just fly as opposed to 12-14 hours of driving/charging. lol. It will take me 4 charges to get there and it's not like I have multiple chances as there aren't many SCs south of IL on the way down. You have to hit every charger and get decent efficiency to make it. The good thing is there is a supercharger 20 min from where I will stay so I can charge up down there. And yes I don't want to give rides with it being slow. lol. They are all car guys. One has a camaro that runs 9s and the other a Z06 that runs 10s.

But yes it's still a bit of a headached/anxiety not being able to just take off and not worry being able to be able to peal off and get gas at every exit. The car is great for local driving and not going real far. it's ok for trips just takes thinking.