Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to get 250 miles on the interstate with a 2022 M3P?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For all the “Model 3 isn’t good for trips” assertions I sure see a lot of them when I drive on long trips. Definitely a lot more than Corvettes and large diesel trucks.

Teslas are by far the majority of EVs I see on road trips. I think I saw 1 Ioniq 5 and 1 Rivian on the drive from so-cal to the Bay Area during thanksgiving. I actually rented a Model Y to do the drive because my prior EV6 road trips on EA chargers were a disaster.

Over around 73,000 miles, my lifetime wh/mi is 267. And I don’t baby it. I am in Florida where the weather is mostly mild. Other that that I can’t imagine why there’d be such a disparity.

If you're getting 267 average on an M3P, you are doing way better than most. I typically drive 85-90mph on highways where I live but thats typical speed on the left lane in so-cal at certain times. Couple that with fast take offs and spirited canyon driving and its pretty easy to get 340wh/mi. The big surprise was when I switched wheels to an arachnid style 18 inch variant from T-sportline. I thought it shouldn't make much of a difference but its about 10-15% better which was surprising to me.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
The big surprise was when I switched wheels to an arachnid style 18 inch variant from T-sportline. I thought it shouldn't make much of a difference but its about 10-15% better which was surprising to me.
Without discussing exactly which tires you switched from and to (including size), it's not all that useful to discuss wheel size.
I get way worse range on my 18" wheels than my stock 20's, but my 18" wheels are 2" wider with much more aggressive tires.

If you're getting 267 average on an M3P, you are doing way better than most. I typically drive 85-90mph on highways where I live but thats typical speed on the left lane in so-cal at certain times. Couple that with fast take offs and spirited canyon driving and its pretty easy to get 340wh/mi. The big surprise was when I switched wheels to an arachnid style 18 inch variant from T-sportline. I thought it shouldn't make much of a difference but its about 10-15% better which was surprising to me.
I think Tesla should offer an 18" wheel on the P. Maybe not the eco MXM tires but still something to get better efficiency than the 20.

Did you notice any other degradation in from your wheel change?

I think Tesla should offer an 18" wheel on the P. Maybe not the eco MXM tires but still something to get better efficiency than the 20.

Did you notice any other degradation in from your wheel change?

I discussed this in another thread awhile back. I do canyon runs and in a hard corner and quick transitions, you feel slightly less precision due to the thicker sidewalls of the 18s. What you gain is noticeably better ride quality. I couldn't care less about the efficiency but its something I noticed after almost 10k with the newer setup. I had over 20k miles with the 20 inch wheels so that 340 wh/mi was over a that period.

For all the “Model 3 isn’t good for trips” assertions I sure see a lot of them when I drive on long trips. Definitely a lot more than Corvettes and large diesel trucks.
I really don't think that is what people are saying here. It is fine for long trips it is just a lot more cumbersome than a gas car for long trips, especially in the winter in states where it gets cold. Of course you, with a profile that says "Bay Area", see more Model 3 on road trips than Corvettes and large diesel trucks... the Model 3 outsells them both by large margins in California and the climate there is pretty conducive to driving an EV.

Let me illustrate my point with a couple of screen shots. Say I want to take the family to Disney World and we feel like driving because we want to visit family in Georgia on the way. If I choose a generic zip code in my city and plan the route on the Tesla trip planner driving a P3D it says the trip will take 15 hours with 5 stops to supercharge.

Screen Shot 2022-12-12 at 2.20.29 PM.png

If I put the same trip in Google maps it is 11h 20m. Realistically I'd bump that number up to 12.5h for two gas fill-ups, bathroom breaks, and food.

Screen Shot 2022-12-12 at 2.22.39 PM.png

The 15h drive is doable, and maybe even a little more pleasant with the extra stops to stretch out and what not, but it is still 20% longer than the same trip in a gas car. Your margin for error is also much smaller in the Tesla. Superchargers can be full, charge rates can vary at some stations, and traffic, weather conditions or high speeds can use up range faster than anticipated requiring extra stops or longer stops to charge. None of those things are really issues in a gas car because there are gas stations every few miles but there are not superchargers every few miles.

I have been all EV since 2015 (previously had a Leaf), I am not anti-EV in any way. But people need to acknowledge the trade-offs especially on long trips and in areas with cold weather. So on trips like that I'd probably just take the wife's PHEV. It isn't the end of the world for me to admit that it is just easier, faster, and less stressful to do it that way.

I really don't think that is what people are saying here. It is fine for long trips it is just a lot more cumbersome than a gas car for long trips, especially in the winter in states where it gets cold. Of course you, with a profile that says "Bay Area", see more Model 3 on road trips than Corvettes and large diesel trucks... the Model 3 outsells them both by large margins in California and the climate there is pretty conducive to driving an EV.

Let me illustrate my point with a couple of screen shots. Say I want to take the family to Disney World and we feel like driving because we want to visit family in Georgia on the way. If I choose a generic zip code in my city and plan the route on the Tesla trip planner driving a P3D it says the trip will take 15 hours with 5 stops to supercharge.

View attachment 884118

If I put the same trip in Google maps it is 11h 20m. Realistically I'd bump that number up to 12.5h for two gas fill-ups, bathroom breaks, and food.

View attachment 884121

The 15h drive is doable, and maybe even a little more pleasant with the extra stops to stretch out and what not, but it is still 20% longer than the same trip in a gas car. Your margin for error is also much smaller in the Tesla. Superchargers can be full, charge rates can vary at some stations, and traffic, weather conditions or high speeds can use up range faster than anticipated requiring extra stops or longer stops to charge. None of those things are really issues in a gas car because there are gas stations every few miles but there are not superchargers every few miles.

I have been all EV since 2015 (previously had a Leaf), I am not anti-EV in any way. But people need to acknowledge the trade-offs especially on long trips and in areas with cold weather. So on trips like that I'd probably just take the wife's PHEV. It isn't the end of the world for me to admit that it is just easier, faster, and less stressful to do it that way.
Why would you use the Tesla planner? Everyone knows it's not really optimal. Why wouldn't you use ABRP which is going to give you real-world data in its results. It's showing 12h7m, for a 2020 P3D-, driving the way I would which is about 8-10mph above the speed limit.
1670884023938.jpeg

With a family, frequent short stops is pretty much ideal. I don't have a Performance model, but I find my roadtrips take just about the same time. In Sept, I had to go to my University in Baltimore. It's over 600 miles and always took me 10hrs in my Saab, including my stops for bathroom, coffee/food, gas and leg stretching. I just did it in under 10hrs in my Model 3, stopping at literally all the same stops I made when I was in college.

For me, 60mph net speed, factoring in all the stops is what I averaged in my ICE, and it's what I average in my Tesla. For an 800 mile trip from Virginia Beach to Orlando, I'd figure anything under 13hrs is pretty standard.

Reactions: SumOne and Mr. Nuke
Why would you use the Tesla planner? Everyone knows it's not really optimal. Why wouldn't you use ABRP which is going to give you real-world data in its results. It's showing 12h7m, for a 2020 P3D-, driving the way I would which is about 8-10mph above the speed limit.View attachment 884199
With a family, frequent short stops is pretty much ideal. I don't have a Performance model, but I find my roadtrips take just about the same time. In Sept, I had to go to my University in Baltimore. It's over 600 miles and always took me 10hrs in my Saab, including my stops for bathroom, coffee/food, gas and leg stretching. I just did it in under 10hrs in my Model 3, stopping at literally all the same stops I made when I was in college.

For me, 60mph net speed, factoring in all the stops is what I averaged in my ICE, and it's what I average in my Tesla. For an 800 mile trip from Virginia Beach to Orlando, I'd figure anything under 13hrs is pretty standard.
That better route planner is fine but it cuts things a little close for my taste with the wife and kids in the car. I have no intention of running my battery down to ~10% consistently with my family with me.

Plus you are once again assuming that all these supercharger are open and charging at full speed… in my experience you can count on neither especially on I95 these days. I was supercharging a couple weeks ago and after waiting 10m for a stall to open I spent most of the session under 100kW. It is rare for me to supercharge so I was surprised to see that happen. It almost made me late for my meeting because I had to spend an extra 15 minutes charging.

Also, if I drive 10mph over the speed limit in the gas car I can make it in less than 11hr with stops. I’m still taking my gas car 9 times out of 10 for a trip like that.

• Funny
Reactions: XPsionic and KenC
Which is basically what this drive would be in a 3 performance. As @KenC notes, I too show roughly 5 stops with right around an hour charging; maybe slightly longer depending on speed, but no where near your 3 hours of charging from the Tesla website.

Why would you use the Tesla planner? Everyone knows it's not really optimal. Why wouldn't you use ABRP which is going to give you real-world data in its results. It's showing 12h7m, for a 2020 P3D-, driving the way I would which is about 8-10mph above the speed limit.
Care to upload a screenshot of your ABRP settings? You're not using current ABRP stock settings to achieve this optimistic nav time. Your charge overhead time setting has been changed/edited to 0 minutes per stop as is evident by the times posted. That's just unrealistic and misleading. What other settings have you changed/edited?

• Funny
Reactions: XPsionic and KenC
Which is basically what this drive would be in a 3 performance. As @KenC notes, I too show roughly 5 stops with right around an hour charging; maybe slightly longer depending on speed, but no where near your 3 hours of charging from the Tesla website.
It’s not ”my” 3 hours of charging, it is what the Tesla website says… i didn’t just pull it out of my ass 😂. The stops between the two are almost identical but the charging times differ significantly. Not sure why, but if I have to pick I’m gonna trust the website for the company that made the car and the chargers.

If I use the better route plannerI get 13h 45m with 5 charges (1h 23m) not sure what numbers you’re using. But sure, if you’re willing to stop more and let the battery get low maybe you can get there a little quicker than the Tesla planner in theory. But like I said this is idealized, my real world experience has shown suboptimal charging speeds and chargers that aren’t always available. The last time I relied on a supercharger I waited 10m for a stall and then charged at 90kW. Plus, I’m not counting on arriving at a supercharger with 10% battery with my family in the car.

If y’all want to take the Tesla on a 12h drive in the winter be my guest… It’s not the choice I’d make right now. I’ve said why, there’s not much more I can say about it.

Last edited:
Not sure why, but if I have to pick I’m gonna trust the website for the company that made the car and the chargers.
The issue with the Tesla-generated charging plan you shared: aside from the Hardeeville SC, every other selected SC is a V2, maxing out at 150kWh, and also shares its power with the A+B stall pairs (meaning, 75kWh max, if you're stuck with someone next to you in the same pair). This explains some of those excessive charging times.

Each of the SCs in the plan @KenC shared, generated via ABRP, is a V3 (e.g. max 250kWh rate, no A+B sharing). Not that ABRP always does this - just saying that that plan is all V3.

That better route planner is fine but it cuts things a little close for my taste with the wife and kids in the car. I have no intention of running my battery down to ~10% consistently with my family with me.
I completely agree. I re-generated the trip plan, with my '22 M3P as chosen vehicle, 20% minimum charger-arrival SoC (leaving a nice margin of error), and a 285 wH/mile trip efficiency, resulting in a 13 hour, 43 minute total trip (83 minutes total charge time). Nowhere near as aggressive a trip as @KenC's , but realistically saves about 75 minutes over the Tesla-plotted course.

Care to upload a screenshot of your ABRP settings? You're not using current ABRP stock settings to achieve this optimistic nav time. Your charge overhead time setting has been changed/edited to 0 minutes per stop as is evident by the times posted. That's just unrealistic and misleading. What other settings have you changed/edited?
LOL, I've never caused such a stir. Actually, I'm mostly using stock settings, the biggest difference is 8-10mph over the speed limit, which is roughly 113%. I mentioned that. Of course, you have to choose the minimum SOC to charge, I put in 13%, and 10% destination. Should be obvious from just looking at the screenshot. There are NO OTHER CHANGES from stock. There's nothing unrealistic and misleading. Everything I changed I either mentioned or should be obvious from looking at the screenshot. If you are mislead, that's your own doing.

Also, I did not touch the charge overhead, it's at 2mins. I just looked I adjusted 3 things that match my own trip settings, 113% speed so I can drive 8-10mph faster than the limit. 13% and 10% SOC for charger and destination arrival.

Plus you are once again assuming that all these supercharger are open and charging at full speed… in my experience you can count on neither especially on I95 these days. I was supercharging a couple weeks ago and after waiting 10m for a stall to open I spent most of the session under 100kW. It is rare for me to supercharge so I was surprised to see that happen. It almost made me late for my meeting because I had to spend an extra 15 minutes charging.

Also, if I drive 10mph over the speed limit in the gas car I can make it in less than 11hr with stops. I’m still taking my gas car 9 times out of 10 for a trip like that.
Actually, your charger SOC is user-selectable. I chose 13%, (10% is the destination)because I've used ABRP extensively, and if you sign up for the free 2-wk trial, it uses wind data and checks to see how many chargers are in use, etc. It's live data and incredibly accurate. I don't have to assume anything. I used to use 15%, but after testing ABRP, I now use 13% with it. You are welcome to use 20% or whatever you want.

You can use whatever you feel comfortable with. Using the Tesla planner, I've had the result be off by 15%, because it didn't always factor in the wind, so obviously people use a larger buffer with the Tesla planner.

You do whatever you like, I'm just pointing out that using the Tesla planner is ultra conservative and not going to give you a good estimate. The most accurate data is going to be using ABRP.

I used to live in Edenton, NC, not far from Virginia Beach, and also had a 2nd home between Daytona and St. Augustine's, so this route is one I am extremely familiar with.

You do you, I'm just giving you some info, since it's not at all clear, you know ABRP exists, since you were comparing Google Maps to the Tesla planner.

You do you, I'm just giving you some info, since it's not at all clear, you know ABRP exists, since you were comparing Google Maps to the Tesla planner.
I appreciate the info. I am aware of ABRP, from the forums, but have not used it since 95+% of my driving in my model 3 is local with home charging. The onboard route planning, in my experience, has been spot on when I go out of town so I tend to rely on it for longer trips (as I imagine most folks would). I was only conveying my experience driving from Savannah, GA to Virginia Beach and out to the western part of Virginia where charging speeds and wait times for superchargers have been erratic in my experience which can add (sometimes significant) time to the journey.