Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is It Possible To Get A Refund?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took delivery of my Tesla 4 weeks ago.

I didn’t buy AutoPilot but was given the trial for 30 days.

After using it for a week I purchased AutoPilot at the “discounted” price of $3,500...as it was set to increase to $4,000 on April 15th.

Today, the same AutoPilot upgrade would have been $2,500 If I didn’t upgrade two weeks ago since I’d still be on the be trial. What makes matters even worse is that if I didn’t upgrade and let the trial expire the price would be $3,000 to upgrade (not the $3,500 that I just paid).

I’m not asking for sympathy, but I just called Tesla and the Customer Service Supervisor basically said “tough *sugar*” and got me off the line.

Does anyone know how to escalate this? Or who I could contact to get a partial refund?

At this point I have no idea who to contact since every department I’ve got in touch with “doesn’t deal with that” when I ask about it.

Nope. You got the car you paid for. End. Of. Story.

Welcome to one of the aspects of Tesla ownership. Elon isn't interested in the impact his decisions have on current owners, they're getting hammered on wall street now because deliveries cratered so they've got to do something no matter how much it hurts existing owners.

Jeff

Nope. You got the car you paid for. End. Of. Story.

Welcome to one of the aspects of Tesla ownership. Elon isn't interested in the impact his decisions have on current owners, they're getting hammered on wall street now because deliveries cratered so they've got to do something no matter how much it hurts existing owners.

Jeff
Looks like you didn’t read my post. It was a purchase that occurred AFTER I bought the car.

No, I read it. You got what you paid for. I don't know how clear I can possibly be on that point. Doesn't matter when you bought it, you paid the price at the time of purchase. Either get over it, or don't buy another Tesla.

Jeff
I would still be on the trial today if I didn’t purchase it.

The trial price today is now $2,500. I purchased for $3,500 because I was told (and it’s documented) that the price would go to $4K once my trial ended.

In retrospect, the price is actually $2,500 today. And if I would have let the trial end, it would be $3,000.

I understand you’ll defend Tesla, but I was told the price was going UP and purchased it to avoid that...and the pricing has been heavily discounted.

Not sure how you can’t see how that’s wrong. It’s not like they said “it could go up or down” and I made my decision...I was told it was going up so I purchased it at $3,500 to lock in the price and now it’s a lot cheaper.

The trial price today is now $2,500. I purchased for $3,500 because I was told (and it’s documented) that the price would go to $4K once my trial ended.

In retrospect, the price is actually $2,500 today. And if I would have let the trial end, it would be $3,000.

I understand you’ll defend Tesla, but I was told the price was going UP and purchased it to avoid that...and the pricing has been heavily discounted.

Not sure how you can’t see how that’s wrong. It’s not like they said “it could go up or down” and I made my decision...I was told it was going up so I purchased it at $3,500 to lock in the price and now it’s a lot cheaper.
Prices change. You paid the price you agreed to. There were about 20 threads about AP price changes after purchase about a month ago. Many many pages of this discussed. It is what it is. I’d suggest looking at the older threads of you need more info.

I think everyone understands your feelings and how it feels to be in that position.

There's no "price protection" in the car industry. This is not just a Telsa phenomenon (at least in the US). I can go to any car dealer and pay a different price as the person next to me buying the exact same thing. Then they'll run sales from month to month, manufacturer incentives, hidden volume-based discounts, etc.

I think everyone understands your feelings and how it feels to be in that position.

There's no "price protection" in the car industry. This is not just a Telsa phenomenon (at least in the US). I can go to any car dealer and pay a different price as the person next to me buying the exact same thing. Then they'll run sales from month to month, manufacturer incentives, hidden volume-based discounts, etc.
I understand car prices change, but this is for AutoPilot that I purchased AFTER I owned the vehicle.

I'm not defending Tesla at all, I think what they're doing with this is BS but again... When you purchased it you paid the price at the time. Sale closed. Game over.

Jeff

I understand car prices change, but this is for AutoPilot that I purchased AFTER I owned the vehicle.
This has been discussed to death. You got what you paid for. The price for you was true at the time. Now they have updated their pricing structure and the new setup is different. You were not lied to, at the time of your purchase you saw the before and after price. That was true, if you purchased today it’s a different story.

Reactions: Scott7
I’m not mad about the price change...for example, I have MSM paint. I’m not mad that it was $1,500 when I purchased and that it’s only $1,000 today.

What I’m upset about is that I WOULD STILL BE ON THE TRIAL TODAY and was told the price I was getting was discounted and going up.

It would have been cheaper to buy if I let my trial expire for $3,000 (or $2,500 during the trial) with today’s prices.

I also didn’t receive an order confirmation, receipt, or anything showing I bought this. First time I’ve purchased something worth thousands of dollars and can’t even see a document proving I bought it.

I’m not mad about the price change...for example, I have MSM paint. I’m not mad that it was $1,500 when I purchased and that it’s only $1,000 today.

What I’m upset about is that I WOULD STILL BE ON THE TRIAL TODAY and was told the price I was getting was discounted and going up.

It would have been cheaper to buy if I let my trial expire for $3,000 (or $2,500 during the trial) with today’s prices.

I also didn’t receive an order confirmation, receipt, or anything showing I bought this. First time I’ve purchased something worth thousands of dollars and can’t even see a document proving I bought it.

You're always within your right to ask Tesla, but they're not obligated to issue a refund or compensation.

Why did you end your trial 2 weeks early? If you were happy with the product, and happy paying $3,500 for it 2 weeks before you needed to, there's no reason to be unhappy now. No need to dwell on hypothetical scenarios or be envious of those who haven't purchased yet.

You're always within your right to ask Tesla, but they're not obligated to issue a refund or compensation.

Why did you end your trial 2 weeks early? If you were happy with the product, and happy paying $3,500 for it 2 weeks before you needed to, there's no reason to be unhappy now. No need to dwell on hypothetical scenarios or be envious of those who haven't purchased yet.
I purchase shortly into the trial because I called Tesla and they said the pricing was going up to $4K...so I wanted to purchase it before it went up.

They couldn’t confirm it was going up to $4K once the trial ended, they made it seem like it could go up to $4K at any moment...which is why I paid $3,500 two weeks into my trial.

I’m just frustrated because I would still be in my trial today, and only upgraded early because I thought the price was going up.

I purchase shortly into the trial because I called Tesla and they said the pricing was going up to $4K...so I wanted to purchase it before it went up.

They couldn’t confirm it was going up to $4K once the trial ended, they made it seem like it could go up to $4K at any moment...which is why I paid $3,500 two weeks into my trial.

I’m just frustrated because I would still be in my trial today, and only upgraded early because I thought the price was going up.

You really should have done some research yourself. It says very clearly on this page Autopilot Trial that the discount lasts for the length of the trial. I know it's disappointing, but don't dwell on the past; the money is spent, but it's a decision you made all on your own. Be thankful you were in a position to afford Autopilot at all.

The credit card you use might offer price protection.
Price Protection: Which Credit Cards Refund a Price Drop?
I can’t even get price protection because Tesla didn’t send a receipt or confirmation once I bought it for $3,500.

If I had that I could at least do purchase protection...hence my additional frustration that they don’t feel it’s necessary to send some type of receipt or confirmation after spending thousands of dollars.