Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to hack the software to unlock battery, autopilot, etc.?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not True

Not True

Maybe, but hasn't happened yet. Only hint of that happening is here on the TMC hamster wheel.

Not True

True!

Let's stick to reality here. They disable supercharging on salvage vehicles for whatever various reason they want to use... that one makes sense and is easy to understand. However, no one who has rooted or seriously modified their vehicle via software root has actually been "smacked down" by Tesla or any of Tesla's lawyers as far as this forum knows (don't you think we'd be the first to be up in arms about it?).

Actually they get cease and desist letters from Tesla and obviously cannot comment on those in a public forum.

It's unreal to me that people would consider for one second to modify a device that is almost always connected to the Internet, potentially causing a modification that can kill them, and likely voiding the warranty on a $100,000+ purchase?

Not sure how people can get into a Tesla in the first place with that low brow mentality.

Jailbreaking a phone because because your cheap ass doesn't want to support a developer's app for 99 cents is 'edgy'. Messing with a car that can buy you a home in 10 different states and transports your family in offends basic human sensibilities.

They'd find out, but what could they DO? you own the car.
As for blacklisting at superchargers, show me where in any agreement we signed supercharger access was contingent to not setting options in software on our cars? It should also be noted that the superchargers don't currently authenticate the cars at all. Supercharger access is another setting on the car itself, if you can enable other settings, you can re-enable that one too.
As for service. No reason to suspect you couldn't have it serviced either, you'd likely have to reset some things after, but if you could set them once you can set them again.

In the satellite world it's "theft of service" which is different from "theft" from a legal perspective. And notably, those who did it on imported receivers were deemed NOT to be in violation of any law, only those who had agreements with their local satellite company and then unlocked more than they were paying for were deemed to be in violation of the law.

In the Tesla situation there is no relevant contract with Tesla (unlike the satellite situation), "theft of service" doesn't apply as it is purely about telecommunications services, and the situation does not fit the legal definition of "theft" (which requires depriving someone else of their property)

From a moral, and legal, stand point this is very much not cut and dried. Tesla is trusting that they can give you a closed box, and hope you won't look inside, and most people won't. But I am not aware of any law that preserves that in this situation as Tesla did not ask anyone to sign any agreement stating they wouldn't look in the box.

If you order 12 doughnuts, and there are 13 in the box, is it wrong, legally, or morally, to eat the 13th one? You asked for 12, paid for 12, and they happened to include a 13th. They never told you not to eat it, but they also never said you could. It's a grey area. Tesla is doing this, and asking you to pay extra to eat the 13th one, but it's already in your possession. I don't think it's as simple a question, morally or legally, as some people want you to believe.

If I don't own the software, why did Tesla sell it to me without any license agreement? The fact is, that I DO own everything parked out there, and can modify it to my heart's content. The only time that would not be the case is if I agreed to a license agreement before taking possession, something that I did not do.

Maybe my analogy was flawed with the doughnuts, I'll admit that. But that doesn't make what we're talking about theft because you aren't depriving anyone of anything by enabling the feature.

It's very much a grey area, and I haven't seen any relevant case law on unlocking features you haven't paid for yet.

So far the only laws you've quoted are a prohibition on decrypting encrypted communications, the DMCA, and laws against theft. I've explained in detail why none of those laws apply. Do you have any other laws to suggest? (don't just say it's illegal, specify a law, you can't just go to court and say "it's illegal!" you need to tell the judge which law you think was broken!)

Two questions:

1.) Are you a lawyer?
2.) How many white collar crimes have you committed and rationalized somehow that makes you sleep well at night?

Here's what a decent human being does when confronted with your 13 donut situation.

Let the shop owner know about the 13th donut. See what they say. They may ask for the donut back or they may tell you "thanks for the honesty, go ahead and keep it"

I pray you become the first test case to brick your car and see you argue your case in front of a judge or jury. You will get nailed civilly if not criminally. You still would think after judgment, there was no wrong doing right..?

Common sense dictates that Tesla wants people to pay x to unlock y. And ' What makes you think you are above common sense that you can just unlock y without paying for x?

It's unreal to me that people would consider for one second to modify a device that is almost always connected to the Internet, potentially causing a modification that can kill them, and likely voiding the warranty on a $100,000+ purchase?

Not sure how people can get into a Tesla in the first place with that low brow mentality.

Jailbreaking a phone because because your cheap ass doesn't want to support a developer's app for 99 cents is 'edgy'. Messing with a car that can buy you a home in 10 different states and transports your family in offends basic human sensibilities.

Not everyone is out to obtain something they didn't pay for. A lot of people see a mountain and want to climb to the top of it. Some people see a complex computer and want to "look under the hood."

If I had root access I'd probably change the car on the display to more closely match what mine is going to look like and see if I could tie driver profiles to a GPS location so when I went into park at home or work it would automatically run an exit profile.

There are no software options I didn't pay for. These actions may offend your human sensibilities but not everyone is wired the same. How many people on this forum would jump out of an airplane?

Not everyone is out to obtain something they didn't pay for. A lot of people see a mountain and want to climb to the top of it. Some people see a complex computer and want to "look under the hood."

If I had root access I'd probably change the car on the display to more closely match what mine is going to look like and see if I could tie driver profiles to a GPS location so when I went into park at home or work it would automatically run an exit profile.

There are no software options I didn't pay for. These actions may offend your human sensibilities but not everyone is wired the same. How many people on this forum would jump out of an airplane?

I've hacked cars for competition purposes and sometime just for kicks. One of the simple silly ones for fun: My rear window heater switch was my nitrous warmer, and fog light armed the solenoids, and horn relay fired the shot only when a sensor saw both 90% throttle and 3500 rpm. The bottle was hidden in the spare tire compartment.

Or reflashed the entire ECM to wildly alter the engine performance to dangerous levels for track use only.

But this conversation looks more like people who want to somebody to release or sell a cheap hack that will open their battery to full capacity without paying for it. Nobody is talking about how they would do it, which is a great hint as to what they are looking for, basically they want a private message: $500 and I will unlock your car.

Reactions: Jashev
I've hacked cars for competition purposes and sometime just for kicks. One of the simple silly ones for fun: My rear window heater switch was my nitrous warmer, and fog light armed the solenoids, and horn relay fired the shot only when a sensor saw both 90% throttle and 3500 rpm. The bottle was hidden in the spare tire compartment.

Or reflashed the entire ECM to wildly alter the engine performance to dangerous levels for track use only.

But this conversation looks more like people who want to somebody to release or sell a cheap hack that will open their battery to full capacity without paying for it. Nobody is talking about how they would do it, which is a great hint as to what they are looking for, basically they want a private message: $500 and I will unlock your car.

You're probably right, but if they're asking they obviously don't know how. The few people that have or have alluded to having root access seem to be in it out of curiosity, the challenge of gaining access to a sophisticated system, or learning more about the vehicle. My guess is if you have those abilities you can probably afford to pay for the full battery or in the least don't need $500 for their work. I think most Tesla owners with this access want to safekeep it through obfuscation. One or two owners who find badging for future cars in the code creates hype and advertising for Tesla. If they were to start distributing illegal/immoral/unethical code that would definitely put them above the noise floor. A place no hacker white, grey, or black wants to be.

However, many on this thread seem to be suggesting that accessing the software for any reason, even diagnostic purposes, would be breach of some imaginary rule against doing so. In my quick scan, @green1 and others have made no argument about ethics, just legality. Two distinctly different things that are being muddled in this thread.

I've jumped out of an airplane.

Your rationalizations for theft are transparent and completely absurd.

• Disagree
Reactions: green1 and HebrHmr
Messing with a car that can buy you a home in 10 different states and transports your family in offends basic human sensibilities.

For some (like Elon Musk) NOT exploring the full limits of a piece of technology, offends basic human sensibilities. No wonder his cars attract people that want to tinker with them and don't accept limitations that are only there for legal or commercial reasons.

• Love
Reactions: green1 and HebrHmr
Tesla sold me a car which is inclusive of everything in the vehicle including software. I did not agree to any software licensing agreements when I purchased the vehicle and signed the MVPA. I did not sign away any rights to the software and equipment present on the vehicle. Tesla chose to include software and hardware capabilities for which they did not charge - that's their fault, not mine. But I physically own my vehicle and everything in it, including all the battery cells (used or not). If I want to hack into the software to enable the additional 15 kWh of battery, Autopilot, or anything else, I'm hacking into my own vehicle for which I paid, and which was shipped to me with all of the hardware included for the price I paid. It's no different than hacking your Mac or your Android Phone to enable hidden features. That's not illegal. But don't expect support from Tesla.

• Love
Reactions: green1 and davidc18
Just read through this entire thread as well. I think it should simply come down to a basic ethos - don't be a dick. I get it. I'm a tinkerer, a car guy, and a techie at heart as well. To all those saying that it wouldn't be theft, of course it is. How would you feel, as the owner of a 75 kwH battery that you paid full price for, only to learn that there were people who bought the 60 kWh and then hacked it to enable 75kWh? Not only would you feel jipped, you would be hurting the company that you bought into by not allowing them to recognize that revenue.

That's a whole other issue. People feel that just because they can, that they should. A feeling of entitlement. Sure, no license agreement was signed, but that's the entire reason why laws exist - to prevent other companies and countries from simply copying Intellectual property and years of engineering and research to reverse engineer the hard work of others instead of innovating on their own. But that's just my 2 cents.

• Disagree
Reactions: green1
Tesla sold me a car which is inclusive of everything in the vehicle including software. I did not agree to any software licensing agreements when I purchased the vehicle and signed the MVPA. I did not sign away any rights to the software and equipment present on the vehicle.

Rights need to be given in the first place before you can sign them away again. Just because you paid a certain amount does not mean you received all the rights you think you got. For example you cannot distribute those parts of the Tesla car software that are licensed under the GPL without honouring the restrictions imposed upon it from being under that particular copyright license.

Reactions: Nismode

I am in Information Technology so tinkering with things is not a new concept to me. Installing an aftermarket stereo in your Honda Civic, and then hacking the stereo to change the wallpaper is different than trying to enable autopilot / fsdc yourself on a Tesla, and then letting it drive your family around. Nowhere near the same scale.

Potentially brick your $80,000 car for 250 a month over 3 years? No thanks.

However, many on this thread seem to be suggesting that accessing the software for any reason, even diagnostic purposes, would be breach of some imaginary rule against doing so. In my quick scan, @green1 and others have made no argument about ethics, just legality. Two distinctly different things that are being muddled in this thread.

Again, what rewards outweigh the risk of tinkering with the software of a car that RUNS on software. A car that can buy you a home in many states?

I'm not even debating ethics or legality. I''m arguing against stupidity and for common sense.

For some (like Elon Musk) NOT exploring the full limits of a piece of technology, offends basic human sensibilities. No wonder his cars attract people that want to tinker with them and don't accept limitations that are only there for legal or commercial reasons.

The original topic was unlocking features that you didn't pay for. You want to go to a torrent site, download autopilot_unlock.pl, run it on your car and then trust your family to that car after the script runs? THAT is what I find completely offensive and dumb.

Tesla sold me a car which is inclusive of everything in the vehicle including software. I did not agree to any software licensing agreements when I purchased the vehicle and signed the MVPA. I did not sign away any rights to the software and equipment present on the vehicle. Tesla chose to include software and hardware capabilities for which they did not charge - that's their fault, not mine. But I physically own my vehicle and everything in it, including all the battery cells (used or not). If I want to hack into the software to enable the additional 15 kWh of battery, Autopilot, or anything else, I'm hacking into my own vehicle for which I paid, and which was shipped to me with all of the hardware included for the price I paid. It's no different than hacking your Mac or your Android Phone to enable hidden features. That's not illegal. But don't expect support from Tesla.

Are you confident enough to hack your Tesla software, unlock everything and publish the code on the Internet?
After all, if its legal for you, it would be legal for everyone else right? Something tells me you can talk a lot of s*it, but you'd crap your pants the moment a lawyer from X, Y, and Z associates writes you an email.

Apple simply chooses not to prosecute people that mess with their phones because they can churn out a new consumer device every year for 800 bucks that bricks the jail break process. More is at stake when you add two zeros to an iPhone cost.

Reactions: Canuck
They'd find out, but what could they DO? you own the car.
As for blacklisting at superchargers, show me where in any agreement we signed supercharger access was contingent to not setting options in software on our cars? It should also be noted that the superchargers don't currently authenticate the cars at all. Supercharger access is another setting on the car itself, if you can enable other settings, you can re-enable that one too.
As for service. No reason to suspect you couldn't have it serviced either, you'd likely have to reset some things after, but if you could set them once you can set them again.

You buy and own cell phones too, but its functionality will be quite limited if you do something against the terms of service and are banned from your phone carrier.

I pray you become the first test case to brick your car and see you argue your case in front of a judge or jury. You will get nailed civilly if not criminally. You still would think after judgment, there was no wrong doing right..?
Well, that's a nice Christian attitude. It's always surprising to me how so-called "Christians", revere the man as a god, but have a total disconnect from his teachings and believe the opposite.

What half here don't realize is that Tesla takes away key functionalities when they blacklist a car. Functionalities that have been bought and paid for. Are you hearin' the words what are comin' out my mouf?

Why don't you look down on this, from your high horse, Mr. 'MXWing'?

Reactions: green1