Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to import a North American Model X into the Netherlands

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where can I read about importing a North American Tesla?

I have read
and

Has anyone successfully imported a Tesla into the Netherlands or is it better to just sell the Tesla in the USA and try to get a different, Dutch Model X upon arrival?

I tried to translate some of the discussion in the thread below and I was not encouraged by what I saw:

My opinion: don’t think about it. Unless you are a masochist😊

No working navigation in EU, no OTA updates, you have to change rear blinkers, change frontlights and the lights below them, add rear mist lamp, change charging system. And even then you have no free charging anymore, and no guarantees.
Money wise: Please add transport in USA, add shipping to Rotterdam, add import tax, add BTW, add handling in harbour, add transport inside NL to workshop, add transport to RDW, add costs RDW, and finally accept very low resale price in EU.

My advise: buy a second hand one in The EU😊

The proprietary charging port used by Tesla in the US is not available here. You might be able to use the CHaDeMo or more recent CCS1 adapter from the US for DC charging but that would still leave you without a charging option for home use. You might even need to swap the internal AC chargers, would require further research so I'd not recommend bringing it here. Oh and no 4G here too, and then there's the matter of Tesla willing to service your vehicle...

Reactions: Harvey Danger
It's an interesting question because US military has ways to have their US spec car imported into Europe when they're stationed abroad, and the blinkers, front- and rear lights aren't an issue, and we have gasoline and diesel here aswel.

But in the case of a Tesla, it breaks down on software and charge port. The charge port in US spec Tesla's differs from the charge ports used in EU spec Tesla's, which means you can't use your US spec Tesla on any of the public slow charging, but also not on the Tesla supercharger network. Additionally, your US spec Tesla isn't equipped with a SIM card allowing EU roaming, and your US spec Tesla doesn't come with EU offline maps, so connectivity and navigation is unavailable.

Now, it is possible if you account for these issues. Back in 2018, someone shipped their US spec Model 3 to Europe for a tour, and he charged with a charging adapter on level 2 chargers.

Reactions: Harvey Danger
What about accessing the car through the app? Assuming that's a no go, since it needs data. I'm in Korea and Tesla here said I can buy my own SIM and they will install it, but I have to sign a waiver saying that they're not responsible if anything goes wrong. I really want app access, so that's the only reason to really do it. Even with a Korean SIM in my US Model 3, maps and navigation won't work.

Also, if I have a wifi hotspot in the car and connect the car to it, will that give me app access when I'm away from the car?

• Informative
Reactions: nico180
App won't work without working data. So either WiFi or indeed another SIM card. And yes, a hotspot should work. Especially with recent firmware that allows you to configure a WiFi SSID as ' always on ' (normally the car disables WiFi when you switch to drive)

There are however some small differences in the allowed frequencies/channels for WiFi. So you might need to manually configure the hotspot to use certain channels.

App won't work without working data. So either WiFi or indeed another SIM card. And yes, a hotspot should work. Especially with recent firmware that allows you to configure a WiFi SSID as ' always on ' (normally the car disables WiFi when you switch to drive)

There are however some small differences in the allowed frequencies/channels for WiFi. So you might need to manually configure the hotspot to use certain channels.
Well, that's at least a little good news. I'm glad you can have it always connected to wifi now.