Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to increase the volume of the OEM subwoofer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I just got my 2021 Model 3 AWD LR not long ago and it's an awesome car. My only complaint right now is that the lower frequencies of the songs I listen to aren't very loud/audible, even after boosting the lows in the EQs. I don't feel like I'm getting an accurate playback of any song that is bass-heavy, so basically any hip-hop or EDM song.

I can confirm that all my speakers are plugged in. I found that the subwoofer is actually decently loud when you're in the trunk, but not much of that noise reaches the front of the cabin. I especially cannot hear it while I'm driving; I guess road noises drowns out the sound of the subwoofer. Even when I put the seats down, the subwoofer volume still isn't quite there for me.

My old car also had an 8" subwoofer like my Model 3, except my old car had it installed in the rear deck instead of the trunk. It completely satisfied my need for bass, so I don't think that subwoofer size or frequency range is the issue that I have currently: just volume due to how far the sub is from the driver's seat. However, I've read on these forums that someone used an LC2i to boost the frequencies that are not normally covered in the OEM subwoofer and that solved their problem.

I've been hesitant to install an aftermarket subwoofer because I enjoy the trunk space that I have currently. It'd be great if someone had any insight on how I could install at least an 8" subwoofer into the same spot that the OEM one is, and possibly in the OEM's box as well. I don't mind replacing the amp if I have to.

I've also heard of some folks getting more bass from Lithium batteries, specifically from Ohmmu? Seems kinda unbelievable and I want to hear it with my own ears before trying that out, but I would love to hear your anecdotes/research regarding this if this is something that you have experience with.

Anyways, I introduced a lot here and we can keep this discussion open-ended about the subwoofer, but I'm mainly just looking to see if I can increase the volume of the OEM subwoofer/lower frequencies in general so that I can get a more accurate playback of songs I listen to. Maybe replacing the OEM sub amp might fix this issue?

Thanks for reading and I am looking forward to your posts

I assume you have played with the EQ settings. I find the sub outstanding........more than enough volume.
Yup I've messed with the EQ, tried putting down my seats, etc. The sub still doesn't quite fulfill my needs.

I've heard mixed things about the Model 3 sub: some say it's more than enough for what they need and others say they need an upgrade. If the pandemic wasn't happening, I would have liked to sit in anyone's car who claims the former to see if maybe there's something wrong with my car. Although, I test drove my Model 3's configuration before buying it and I do recall being disappointed by the subwoofers at the time.

Also another thing is that you may have gotten your Model 3 before they removed the vent on the rear deck. Many people claim that the removal of that vent completely destroyed the bass response that existed before.

Here's an option for you: Another subwoofer option - NVX Audio

I think it's quite new on the market and haven't seen any reviews yet but it looks like the best option. Since this sub is mounted in the little cubbyhole space on the left side of the trunk you will lose a tiny bit of space but I think it's marginal. The other big plus is that you can run this sub in tandem with the factory sub and lastly the company is not overseas so after-sales service should be better than some of the alternatives.

btw, congrats on your new ride.

Yup I've messed with the EQ, tried putting down my seats, etc. The sub still doesn't quite fulfill my needs.

I've heard mixed things about the Model 3 sub: some say it's more than enough for what they need and others say they need an upgrade. If the pandemic wasn't happening, I would have liked to sit in anyone's car who claims the former to see if maybe there's something wrong with my car. Although, I test drove my Model 3's configuration before buying it and I do recall being disappointed by the subwoofers at the time.

Also another thing is that you may have gotten your Model 3 before they removed the vent on the rear deck. Many people claim that the removal of that vent completely destroyed the bass response that existed before.
You should also see if you can listen to someone else's Model 3 premium system to see if it's simply the factory design that's not sufficient for you or if there is something wrong with your system. I actually think the bass in the car is reasonable and I'd subjectively say it's very ok and not in any dire need to modify it other than wish it was just a bit tighter.

Here's an option for you: Another subwoofer option - NVX Audio

I think it's quite new on the market and haven't seen any reviews yet but it looks like the best option. Since this sub is mounted in the little cubbyhole space on the left side of the trunk you will lose a tiny bit of space but I think it's marginal. The other big plus is that you can run this sub in tandem with the factory sub and lastly the company is not overseas so after-sales service should be better than some of the alternatives.

btw, congrats on your new ride.
I actually saw this before but I wanted to wait to hear what other peoples' experiences are with it before pulling the trigger. I wouldn't mind going with this but I'd definitely prefer it if I could find an option to reuse the space that the OEM sub currently sits in.

I actually saw this before but I wanted to wait to hear what other peoples' experiences are with it before pulling the trigger. I wouldn't mind going with this but I'd definitely prefer it if I could find an option to reuse the space that the OEM sub currently sits in.
Hansshow makes a sub that fits exactly where the OEM sub goes but there are a lot of issues identified by members that have bought their systems (there's a very long thread about their systems). Comparing pics of Hansshow vs NVX, the NVX looks like a much higher quality system. If you can hold off, you should wait until someone is willing to be the guinea pig on the NVX and provide a review.

Hansshow makes a sub that fits exactly where the OEM sub goes but there are a lot of issues identified by members that have bought their systems (there's a very long thread about their systems). Comparing pics of Hansshow vs NVX, the NVX looks like a much higher quality system. If you can hold off, you should wait until someone is willing to be the guinea pig on the NVX and provide a review.

Do you know if people are happy with the bass they get from the Hansshow sub? I think a lot of the issues people find with that whole set up is from the hacky stuff they have to do for a non-premium system. I wonder if I could just simply plug-in that sub to my current set up to replace the OEM sub.

unless it is a SR, just drop a better 8" dual core or upgrade the front door woofer. If you want go further, replace the 2nd amp with some powerful one. I just upgraded the front, already have smile on my face, planning to upgrade the rear soon

I agree with you about the subwoofer. One thing that I found is that if you turn the volume all the way up, the subwoofer asserts it's presence very nicely IMO. It goes from not audible at low volumes, to barely present at normal volume, to nicely balanced and adding an octave at the bottom at ear-bleed volume levels. Do you notice this same, or is it still anemic for you at that level?

Reactions: jabloomf1230
I agree with you about the subwoofer. One thing that I found is that if you turn the volume all the way up, the subwoofer asserts it's presence very nicely IMO. It goes from not audible at low volumes, to barely present at normal volume, to nicely balanced and adding an octave at the bottom at ear-bleed volume levels. Do you notice this same, or is it still anemic for you at that level?
I noticed this as well! I ended up having to raise the bass freqs and decrease the other frequencies (in the EQ) in order to get enough bass without everything else becoming too loud... It sort of gives a big bass effect, but it still feels a little lacking somehow while giving me more auditory fatigue

Reactions: TBrownTX
I’m going to be doing a separate amp run to power only the subwoofer. I’m going to start with driving the stock one harder, and when it blows swap it for a high end one. I am not impressed with the bass response in the premium ones. Adding an amp is incredibly easy as all the signals and wires I need are all in the back .

I installed a NVX VADM2 amp + JL 8" single coil last week. Positive from the 12vDC under the rear seats and negative to the stock rear amp screw. Remote wire to the front left footwell brown wire (12v). I wasn't quite sure how to set the sensitivity so the JL was blown in 15 minutes.

Will order a kicker and go back with stock amp first. JL + amp is too much bass for my taste, couldn't hear any human voice at all.

I installed a NVX VADM2 amp + JL 8" single coil last week. Positive from the 12vDC under the rear seats and negative to the stock rear amp screw. Remote wire to the front left footwell brown wire (12v). I wasn't quite sure how to set the sensitivity so the JL was blown in 15 minutes.

Will order a kicker and go back with stock amp first. JL + amp is too much bass for my taste, couldn't hear any human voice at all.
oh, tell me more. too much bass? with the JL? did you do the kicker yet? just a speaker swap? which one?

yeah, everything is complete and perfect with amp + sub. Now with Tidal, it's so awesome.

The JL was refurbished, but re-coiled by professional, after it was blown I didn't bother to re-coil again and ordered Kicker CompR 8" DVC for $90. Re-coil costed me about the same as buying the kicker, oh well. NVX + Kicker now (turned the amp sensitivity to almost the lowest), now the bass, mid, and tweeters are so balanced. The kicker is more punchy than the JL, while the JL is more poundy.

If I would do it again, I would solely swap a kicker and see if you like the bass first.