Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to live with the 20" Uberturbines without getting flats/damaged wheels?

Have you gotten a flat or wheel/rim damage with the 20" Uberturbines on your M3P?

• 0 times

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • 1 time

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • 2 time

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • 2+ times

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Only curb rash

Votes: 5 16.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone again šŸ˜…

Still deciding between the M3 LR and the M3P! For the M3P I was wondering if it was possible to not get flats/wheel damage if you were just careful around town - there's potholes around me but I feel like I rarely hit them in my current car. Has anyone been fine with the 20" Uberturbines? I actually quite like how they look! But replacing tires/rims all the time sounds like hell... I see a 19" Uberturbine lookalike on T Sportline, but will the 1" actually make a difference?

If I went with the LR, I'd get the aero wheels with the orbital covers, those look super cool!

Edit: I see a lot of older posts that are similar to this one, but I can't for the life of me find the button for deleting a thread - please forgive this repetitive post

Last edited:
I had 255/35/19 profiles on my CTSV in the god awful roads of NYC for 5y. I never got an outright flat or bent a rim, and I recall multiple 4-5ā€ deep potholes ON THE HIGHWAY that I hit going 60+ and braced for impact when I couldnā€™t avoid them.

I did get 3 tires with sidewall bubbles (ruined tires, but could go drive to get a new one...). I also did have one time at work that I came out to a flat, but they found a nail at the shop.

My buddy blew out his 275/30/20 on his Ferrari one day following me on the highway.

It is an issue, bu not as crazy as everyone on here makes it. Donā€™t know why Tesla owners arenā€™t used to low profiles. They increase the risk, but itā€™s not that bad.

If you are that worried swap the wheels.

Reactions: Brettka7
Hi everyone again šŸ˜…

Still deciding between the M3 LR and the M3P! For the M3P I was wondering if it was possible to not get flats/wheel damage if you were just careful around town - there's potholes around me but I feel like I rarely hit them in my current car. Has anyone been fine with the 20" Uberturbines? I actually quite like how they look! But replacing tires/rims all the time sounds like hell... I see a 19" Uberturbine lookalike on T Sportline, but will the 1" actually make a difference?

If I went with the LR, I'd get the aero wheels with the orbital covers, those look super cool!

Edit: I see a lot of older posts that are similar to this one, but I can't for the life of me find the button for deleting a thread - please forgive this repetitive post
If you can afford the performance model you can afford the real solution to this issue which is aftermarket wheels that are forged. We've had no bent Wheels since moving to forged or at least barrel rolled alloy wheels if not fully forged even though they are still 20 in. Look up Vertini VS Forged available for example at getyourwheels.com and you will see a lot of attractive wheels for very reasonable money in a 20-inch size if you like the larger wheel aesthetic (which I do). If you want even more protection get a forged wheel in a 19 inch size and get a 265/35 - 19 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.

Hi everyone again šŸ˜…

One week in, no problems so far! :p

Tim

• Love
Reactions: play150
If you can afford the performance model you can afford the real solution to this issue which is aftermarket wheels that are forged. We've had no bent Wheels since moving to forged or at least barrel rolled alloy wheels if not fully forged even though they are still 20 in. Look up Vertini VS Forged available for example at getyourwheels.com and you will see a lot of attractive wheels for very reasonable money in a 20-inch size if you like the larger wheel aesthetic (which I do). If you want even more protection get a forged wheel in a 19 inch size and get a 265/35 - 19 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.

Anyone can afford those Jova forged wheels ;). And i've already personally tested them drifting against a curb, and, getting sideswiped by another car at 50-60mph. They held up much better than the car did lol.

Reactions: dfwatt
Anyone can afford those Jova forged wheels ;). And i've already personally tested them drifting against a curb, and, getting sideswiped by another car at 50-60mph. They held up much better than the car did lol.
Ooh totally forgot about forged wheels as an option. (Although re: the Uberturbines I was just hoping to not have to go through the hassle of changing the wheels when I get the car :'()

Had my first ever late last night in my 21 perf.

I found a pot hole you can fall into literally. Wheel actually looked fine visually, no dents, cracks, or other obvious damage. I'll find out later if it's bent beyond visual inspection from S.C.. Tire belt on side looked like it took a hit and may need replaced because of it. However this was all looked at in the dark with a phone light.

Can you live with them, certainly, should you know how Tesla roadside works just incase, better believe it.

Just a short update for some added context to the discussion and/or your thought process.

Heard from S.C. that tire is punctured, no real surprise, wheel was NOT bent. Investigating in daylight, front tire is also shot, wheel not bent.

Cost per tire quoted as roughly 450 installed per tire. So 1000 for tesla to put on two oem tires from a bad pothole. Spendy accident, but that's the way it goes.

I'm actually getting tires cheaper elsewhere, so I'm not paying that amount personally, but I have that option, some may not.

Reactions: TBrownTX
Just a short update for some added context to the discussion and/or your thought process.

Heard from S.C. that tire is punctured, no real surprise, wheel was NOT bent. Investigating in daylight, front tire is also shot, wheel not bent.

Cost per tire quoted as roughly 450 installed per tire. So 1000 for tesla to put on two oem tires from a bad pothole. Spendy accident, but that's the way it goes.

I'm actually getting tires cheaper elsewhere, so I'm not paying that amount personally, but I have that option, some may not.
Yeah that's dealer highway robbery for sure. You can get the Pilot Sport 4S for $325 and then 25 bucks to have it mounted and balanced.

Yeah that's dealer highway robbery for sure. You can get the Pilot Sport 4S for $325 and then 25 bucks to have it mounted and balanced.
Buy the road hazard warranty. If you do it again they will replace them for free.

I have had the 20" Performance stock wheels for 2.5 years now and have had one bent. It cost $125 to straighten. Biggest enemy is too low tire pressures in my experience. Don't let the tire get to 30-35 psi then also hit that pothole.

Reactions: play150 and dfwatt
Depends where one lives and/or drives, plus how much driving (how many miles rack up annually) is done.

Any tire with less than 4" of sidewall wrapped around wheels trying to carry >4K lbs of curb weight - is a recipie for inner/outter bends that may or may not be immedietly apparent to the driver.

This choice of wheel and OE tire spec are a compromise, just like everything else on these and other cars.

Had my first ever late last night in my 21 perf.

I found a pot hole you can fall into literally. Wheel actually looked fine visually, no dents, cracks, or other obvious damage. I'll find out later if it's bent beyond visual inspection from S.C.. Tire belt on side looked like it took a hit and may need replaced because of it. However this was all looked at in the dark with a phone light.

Can you live with them, certainly, should you know how Tesla roadside works just incase, better believe it.
:eek:
My current plan is to try and live with the uberturbines + get some cool (e.g gold) 19" wheels for winter tires. Then if I'm getting a lot of flats/the wheel gets bent I'll switch over to 19" pilot sport 4Ss etc for the summer tires on the same wheels

Reactions: dfwatt
I have a 21 model M3P on Uberturbines with roughly 5k miles. I hit my first pot hole really hard with the left front wheel last week at about 60 mph last week actually. It did cause a bubble on the left front tire sidewall but The wheel isnā€™t damaged. I would say that they are no less durable than any other rim on a low profile setup.

I have a 21 model M3P on Uberturbines with roughly 5k miles. I hit my first pot hole really hard with the left front wheel last week at about 60 mph last week actually. It did cause a bubble on the left front tire sidewall but The wheel isnā€™t damaged. I would say that they are no less durable than any other rim on a low profile setup.

I hit my first pothole last week ('21 w/ 3K miles). Loud bang, some related cussing, and that was about it. No damage to the wheel or tire, fortunately. Roads are decent around here, but I do find myself really watching the road for potholes when I drive w/ this setup.

Tim