Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to make it to Mono Lake through Tioga road in Yosemite on Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it possible to make it to Mono Lake through Tioga road in the Yosemite National Park on a Model X? Has anyone traveled there? How much charge did you have when you came back to the supercharger in Groveland?

Just checking the map does help because the road goes to 10,000 feet, and this implies a lower range.

1652050201413.png

Source: Ideal highway speed?

That's interesting that this chart for Tesla Model S 85D with the 270-mile range shows exactly the actual range of my Model X with the 350-mile range (in real-world conditions with HVAC on).

So, the claimed range is correct at 55 mph. And every additional 10 mph take 50 miles off the range. The same, every 10 mph below 55 mph give 50 miles to the range. It may be worse than this in rain or strong wind. Mountains don't seem to affect the range much if the road goes back eventually.

Last edited:
It doesn't work with the Tioga road because it's currently closed for the season.
Oh! Good point. Even though i think you made a mess of your other thread I'll give you a "like" for that post- i didn't realize ABRP won't let you override seasonally closed roads, so my suggestion wasn't as helpful as I thought it was. Apologies.
ABRP doesn't say if they account the change in elevation into account. Do they? Speed, rain and wind may also contribute.
Absolutely they take elevation (and any weather predictions you supply yourself) into account. That's the beauty of ABRP.

That road is steep and windy coming up from the East. You won't be able to go 55 for long since it is a steep 2 lane road sometime with traffic. Very scenic but pay attention. Go a little off the road and you can die. Also, I would do everything I could to make sure you are charged up at the bottom. No services for a long while in YNP. Usually, the road is open by Memorial Day, but this winter seems to be having late snowstorms.

FWIW, I used to live in Eastern California and spent a couple of summers doing field Geology in the White mountains.

That road is steep and windy coming up from the East. You won't be able to go 55 for long since it is a steep 2 lane road sometime with traffic. Very scenic but pay attention. Go a little off the road and you can die. Also, I would do everything I could to make sure you are charged up at the bottom. No services for a long while in YNP. Usually, the road is open by Memorial Day, but this winter seems to be having late snowstorms.

FWIW, I used to live in Eastern California and spent a couple of summers doing field Geology in the White mountains.
Thank you for the reply. But have you traveled on that road in a Tesla car? If yes, how much charge did you have after driving back to the supercharger?

Thank you for the reply. But have you traveled on that road in a Tesla car? If yes, how much charge did you have after driving back to the supercharger?
Never in a Tesla. Do careful planning. The road goes quickly uphill to the pass and then winds up and down as you go West. Make sure whatever tool you use for planning accounts for these elevation changes.

I made it from Mammoth Lakes before the Supercharger was installed (using L2) over Tioga Pass and into the Valley and reached Fish Camp easily. I drove a 2014 S85. I don't recall the SOC when I left or when I arrived in Fish Camp, but I was never worried.

The ascent to Tioga Pass is quite steep and after 4-5 miles west of the Whoa Nellie Deli, you can't drive 55 anyway. The speed limit across Tioga Road is 45 in most spots (save Tuolumne Meadows and Crane Flat). Exiting the park via Wawona is limited to 35, I believe. If you plan on exiting through Groveland, that takes even less energy that heading to Fish Camp. And if Merced is your exit point, I'd bet that you could make that SC as well (although I've never tried it.)

The slower speeds and descent from the summit take very little charge off the battery.

I wouldn't even bother to mess around with all the planning tools as long as you leave Lee Vining with 80% or so. Just dial in your destination charger and see what the results are. If you are really worried, there are free L2 chargers at the city park if a belt and suspenders approach is called for.

Never in a Tesla. Do careful planning. The road goes quickly uphill to the pass and then winds up and down as you go West. Make sure whatever tool you use for planning accounts for these elevation changes.
The Tesla planner takes the elevation change into account (though it overestimates the range, as always). But the road is currently closed, and I can't check if it can make it in advance.

Hardly made it to Mammoth Lakes after charging to 93% before entering the park! I think this happened because of a high wind. The remaining charge estimate by Tesla decreased by more than 30% while driving! It was pretty scary. But on the way back, I could drive 100 miles without using any charge at all. This was like magic. No supercharging was needed at all and I came home with more than 30% of the charge left.

Hardly made it to Mammoth Lakes after charging to 93% before entering the park! I think this happened because of a high wind. The remaining charge estimate by Tesla decreased by more than 30% while driving! It was pretty scary. But on the way back, I could drive 100 miles without using any charge at all. This was like magic. No supercharging was needed at all and I came home with more than 30% of the charge left.
Did you travel from West entrance of Yosemite to East @ Mammoth? where did you last charge at Groveland? I am contemplating a trip from San Jose to Mammoth in my MX 100D , hence the question.

Last edited:
Disd you travel from West entrance of Yosemite to East @ Mammoth? where did you last charge at Groveland? I am contemplating a trip from San Jose to Mammoth in my MX 100D , hence the question.
We went there in the morning when Tioga road was available only by reservation. Do we took another road to the North. But we went through Tioga road back home. Be aware of a 7-mile non-paved part. Got a chip on the hood from a stone. The road is very beautiful!

Reactions: Harvey Danger