Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to manually swap back from an MCU2 to MCU1 if I upgrade and kept the MCU1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm REALLY wanting to upgrade from MCU1 for many reasons...but doing so leaves me vulnerable given ny MS is salvage title.

Which makes me wonder...

Just how many MCU2 salvage title S owners are out there and still able to supercharge.

I just hope Tesla officially does for the MS what they did for the salvage M3.

If they are willing to allows salvage M3s SC, makes no sense still cutting of MSs from the network.

If they are willing to allows salvage M3s SC, makes no sense still cutting of MSs from the network.

I must have missed something somewhere. Can you direct me to where salvage title Model 3s are being allowed to supercharge (supercharging is a term that means charging at a tesla supercharger) by tesla? I am aware that there are some people with salvage title model 3s who can charge at non tesla DC chargers, but thats not what you said here, so this is news to me and I would like to read more about it.

Reactions: buckets0fun
I got the impression Tesla will not do the MCU1 to MCU2 retrofit on a salvage vehicle, but perhaps I'm wrong.

Sounds like a few people with rooted MCU1 may be able to continue to get Superchargering, but have to disable connectivity so Supercharger access is not cleared. That would mean no software updates, no maps, and no streaming.

I got the impression Tesla will not do the MCU1 to MCU2 retrofit on a salvage vehicle, but perhaps I'm wrong.

Sounds like a few people with rooted MCU1 may be able to continue to get Superchargering, but have to disable connectivity so Supercharger access is not cleared. That would mean no software updates, no maps, and no streaming.
That's exactly where I am at...no updates, but they are willing to do the upgrade. I'm just not sure I am willing to hence this post.

I must have missed something somewhere. Can you direct me to where salvage title Model 3s are being allowed to supercharge (supercharging is a term that means charging at a tesla supercharger) by tesla? I am aware that there are some people with salvage title model 3s who can charge at non tesla DC chargers, but thats not what you said here, so this is news to me and I would like to read more about it.

If you look at the twitter thread - folks w salvage 3s are having their supercharging blocked again - as of spring 2022.

To OP - mcu2 is nice, but I wouldn’t do it if I were you. Too much can go wrong, and you get marginal improvement. Get the emmc update though

Reactions: TurboTimmy
oh, you have MCU1,HW2,AP2 and FSD and are looking to upgrade to MCU2 with the free HW3 upgrade to get FSD beta?
You'll need the cameras upgraded also.
Your situation is actually much more complicated than stated... the real question is: "will salvage vehicles get FSDb?"... I'm going to bet no but that is based on cynicism and not data

btw: the maps response time does get better with a fresh EMMC card

I'm AP 2.5 and don't have FSD yet, they quoted me for the 3 though and were ready to schedule the upgrade (Hw3+cams+mcu2) but if it risks losing SC...that's a no go...very disappointing. Wish I knew that b4 buying it. Oh well was a good deal any...a 2017 75 immaculate, 3100 MI, rooted for $37k