Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to move the garage door opener from one Tesla to another

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m getting ready to order my second Model 3 - I paid for the $300. Garage door opener. I’m selling my car and wondered if it s possible to move the garage door opener to my new tesla and remove it from the one I’m selling?

From a technological level, I am positive this can be done. It would involve you either having mobile service remove it, then re install in the new car when it comes in (at whatever shop rates tesla will charge for that, I suspect at least an hour of billing time each time).

I doubt very seriously you would actually save any money doing this, unless you were able to remove it yourself and only pay for one visit to re install.

No matter what, you have to pay the Tesla service center to remove the old one and then install in the new car. I'm will to bet it's more expensive to do that, than to just buy a new one and have it installed for $300.

And why Tesla doesn’t just make this an already installed item in the car like every other car manufacturer is beyond me. Tesla things.
They used to. They took it out as a cost saving measure. Just like the floor mats and the air intake filter, located under the right windshield wiper. For a car that starts at $40k, you'd think all of these would be included.

Yup. I'm not impressed at all with Tesla so far tbh.
Some of their decisions are questionable, that's for sure, but it's things like the batteries, motors, range and supercharging network that can't be matched at this point in time. Maybe in a few years, Tesla will have serious competition in all those areas and that will force them to add these things, but for now, if you want the best in those categories, you have to go with Tesla.

And why Tesla doesn’t just make this an already installed item in the car like every other car manufacturer is beyond me. Tesla things.
We’ve debated this ad nauseum previously but most of the cost is wrapped up in the Homelink licenses they have to procure from Gentex.

There are many other manufacturers that also change for modules. Subaru charges even more for their Homelink mirror.

Here’s the thing though …. Each manufacturer has to pay Gentex for a license for each module they install, *whether the end user uses it or not.*

No other manufacturer has the ability to actually poll the fleet and know what is and isn’t being used actively. Once they ship, they have no idea.

Let’s say Tesla’s data shows 5% - heck, even 10% - of the fleet uses Homelink routinely.

Why pay for a license for the 90% of cars that don’t? It’s money best spent elsewhere. (Much like the passenger lumbar support - caused a minor uproar when removed but really, who uses it? Almost nobody. And unlike us conjecturing, Tesla has every button press recorded.)

I don't know what Gentex charges for a HomeLink license, but it's not pennies. I mean, they didn't spend $700m to buy it to give it away. Gentex Corp. closes the deal on its Homelink purchase

So — I agree with making it an add-on. The reason it has to be done at the service center and not at the factory is their “build in batches” concept. “Homelink yes/no” would *double* the number of batches they need to produce, adding complexity and risk to an already complex delivery chain.

So yeah, it may be a bit of a pest to need an appointment to install (and Tesla should allow it to be done immediately after pickup!) — but I get why it is the way it is.

Last edited:
Yup. I'm not impressed at all with Tesla so far tbh.
I think if you compare a M3 to a luxury ICE vehicle in the same price range you wouldn't be (if you're looking for luxury features and exceptional build quality). But make no mistake about it, this isn't a luxury car. You're paying for battery tech and the Tesla experience (i.e. long range, supercharger network, fast acceleration, OTA updates, etc.).

I have the HomeLink system in my car (2018 LR RWD). My wife also has it in her 2018 Honda Ridgeline. I think our 2011 Nissan Murano LE even has it. We've never programmed/used them. Nor do we keep remotes inside our vehicles. I do have a garage door opener but then again, we don't park our cars inside the garage (it's currently being used as a storage area). Even if the garage was available for parking, I still wouldn't activate the HomeLink module. It's just provides an easy way for thieves to open the garage door, assuming that they first break into one of our cars.

If an option was available to remove/delete the HomeLink feature from the Tesla or Honda, we probably would have done it; they were bought new, the Murano was used.

Reactions: moa999
You can't use Homelink to break into someone's garage. That's one of the benefits it provides over visor-clip openers.

And 5% of Tesla owners using Homelink would be a pretty extreme guess. I'd expect it to be closer to 95% considering that most of the demographic can afford a garage which is also the most preferable place to charge and the most preferable place to park an expensive new car.

You can't use Homelink to break into someone's garage. That's one of the benefits it provides over visor-clip openers.
Then I guess I misunderstand how HomeLink works. Isn't there a function where you can manually press a (virtual) button to command the garage door to open? Or is the implementation in the Tesla only one in which approach of the car to the house triggers the door to open?

I understand that the Honda and Murano have physical buttons on the mirror and overhead console which act just like a GDO but I must admit that I'm assuming they work even when the car is off.

Yes there is a "button" on the main screen in the Tesla you can press to open a garage door with Homelink. However, someone breaking into your car would not have access to the screen. The car needs to be unlocked first by a phone, keycard or fob to have screen access.

Looking at both of my Honda and Nissan owner's manuals, it's unclear whether or not the car needs to be on before the HomeLink buttons work.

edit: Since I've never activated the system, I don't have a way of testing this out. Regardless, even if this was true I'm still not comfortable having tech in my car which could allow access to my garage, and indirectly, possibly, to my house.

Last edited:
edit: Since I've never activated the system, I don't have a way of testing this out. Regardless, even if this was true I'm still not comfortable having tech in my car which could allow access to my garage, and indirectly, possibly, to my house.
Understand the viewpoint, but truth be told, it's probably harder to break into a typical car than the typical home.

Scary thought but if you really dwell on it ....

(Don't do that to yourself; it's torturous!)

Reactions: jjrandorin