Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to program a new key?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last week while out at Ana Maria Beach, I got in the water with my key fob still in my pocket. Fortunately the wife had her key present, otherwise would have had to rely on the old phone. Anyhow, I get back to where we are staying and order a key off ebay. At the time I didnt think much other than I need a new key, but after receiving yesterday (forgot I even ordered it) I realize it needed to be programmed or matched to my X somehow. Is it possible to program key fobs or is this a tesla only thing?

Thanks,
Charles

No, there is no menu like that for the S or X. To pair a fob to the S or X, you must go to the SC. And be sure you take the remaining/other fob with you. When they pair the fob, it must be done with both else the "other' one will not work. The can pair one, if you need one repaired, but if you have two, they pairing must occur together else it will not work. Clear?

Make sure to update your appt info to have them pair the keys. I just recently had one key replaced under warranty as it was not responsive and it took them 2+ hours to pair. It's apparently a tedious process. Good luck!