Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to recolor wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm new to aftermarket wheels and stuff, but is it possible to change the color of wheels? I personally like the base 19" wheels but would like them in a darker grey/black, but don't know if that's even possible.

Powder coating!
20150603_164645.jpg

This is great. What did that set you back and how long did it take them? I am assuming they take off the wheels and keep the car lifted through the process?

They had the car for about a day and a half. Yes they lift it and use jack stands. I had quite a conversation with the shop owner to verify they knew what they were doing. I have been very happy with the results. It ran around 150.00 a wheel.

The Red T Sticker and Brake Calipers I did myself.

I was looking at the Telsa wheels when ordering and really had a hard time justifying the cost for the result. Way more happy with this outcome, even when they are dirty the look good!

Had mine powdercoated to match the steel grey paint - I didn't want to have to deal with light-colored rims, and there's enough silver-colored plastic trim on the car already.

Verne's Chrome Plating in Gardena (Los Angeles area - ask for Bob Barnes) did a fantastic job, as did the Torrance SvC in loaning me a set of wheels that they just happened to have handy. They charged $125 to remount, balance, and deal with the TPMS parts and pieces. No complaints.

Verne's also found a wayward chunk of metal that had been embedded in one of my rims during the manufacturing process. That was a little troubling. They also determined that the stock rims have already been coated three times - primer, that silver color, and clear.

For a permanent, high-quality re-finish, powder coating is certainly the way to go. But you can't go back or "change your mind"! I used Plasti-Dip on my 911S wheels for protection but really liked the slight color change (OEM silver to Aluminum + Metallizer + Dip Coat). The biggest issue for me was cleaning off the brake dust since the finish does not lend itself to aggressive rubbing or scrubbing. BDP Wheel Cleaner is a big help but power washing took care of most of the cleaning. Any dings or scrapes can be fixed using the Plasti-Dip repair kit (special type of solvent). From 5 feet away they look great--you stick your nose into it & you can see some small imperfections but it was DIY!

IMG_0046.jpg
IMG_0051.jpg
IMG_0053.jpg

Had my wheels powder coated. Also been pretty happy with it. I would recommend going matte black (versus gloss black). When you inevitably end up with some wheel rash, just take a black sharpie marker and color it in. It's a cheap and effective solution.