Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to rely solely on Ranger Service for maintenance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

(Apologies up front if this question has already been asked and answered somewhere else. If it has, someone please be kind enough to point me in the right direction because I haven't seen it.)

I'm ready to push the button on my reservation (and, more importantly, my wife has agreed not to divorce me if I do), but I'm left with one nagging question:

Is it possible to own a Model S while relying solely on Ranger Service for maintenance?

I live in the Nashville-area, so the closest Tesla service center is (well, will be) in Atlanta. That's a 4 1/2 hour drive and while Tennessee is shockingly wall-to-wall with EV charging stations, it looks like the stretch of interstate between the GA state line and Atlanta definitely isn't. Plus, I just don't want to drive that damn far for service.

The Ranger Service is the only thing that will make owning a Tesla feasible in my neck of the woods, so I need to know that I can rely on it for service.

From the research I've done, the part that gives me the most pause is this from George B.'s comments on service / warranty:

WHEEL ALIGNMENT- INCLUDED: This needs to be done at a Tesla Service Center (not by a Ranger). If you have your Annual or 12,500 mile Inspection done at a Tesla Service Center, we will include wheel alignment at no charge. If you have your Annual or 12,500 mile Inspection done by a Tesla Ranger, we cannot do alignment service at that time, but the next time you are near a Tesla Service Center, just let us know in advance, and we will do an alignment for you at that time at no additional charge.

TIRE ROTATION
- INCLUDED: Tire rotation is provided at no additional charge, but must also be done at a Tesla Service Center. This is just like wheel alignment, if you have a Ranger do your Annual or 12,500 mile Inspection, just let us know ahead of time and we’ll do tire rotation when you have a chance to stop by one of our service centers. And there will be no charge.

I'm happy to have my service done by Tesla personnel and I certainly don't want to void my warranty (as will apparently happen if service is not performed regularly by said Tesla personnel).

However, I can't see telling my wife that I/we have to make regular pilgrimages to Atlanta for something as rudimentary (and available) as tire rotation/alignment.

That would be a very unfortunate deal-breaker for me.

Can anyone comment or share their experiences?

Thank you!

As a Roadster owner in Atlanta, which up to this Summer didn't have a local Ranger and thus had to rely on the Florida ranger for service, I would say it is not an issue to use Rangers as long as you have patience. The Rangers will take your car to local shops to do any maintenance they can't perform in your garage.

I think there is a chance that they open service center in Louisville during next expansion. Judging from reservation map... Not that it will help you much(145+ miles vs 210+ miles for Atlanta). Plus Cincinnati would be strong contender for that region.

But I would expect Tesla to expand their service network fast, even in comparison to what they announced to have by the March. By the end of 2013 with 20,000 cars on road they should be able to open few dozens more service centers.

- - - Updated - - -

And now they got local rangers... Plus supercharger network is coming (but I would expect it deployment to be delayed)

The closest Tesla service center is four hours from here. I've had my Roadster for over two years now and it's been only ever been serviced at the shop once, and that was kinda "by accident". I dropped by for a charge and they took the opportunity to fix a couple of minor issues.

Congratulations. Us Roadster owners/drivers can attest to ranger service being used as the only servicing the cars have seen. They are great people who do great work and are extremely resourceful!

Glad I stumbled across this thread as I lived in Denver when I placed my Model S order but just recently relocated to Nashville for work. Should be taking my delivery sometime in mid-February and am glad to know the ranger service should get me by without having to drive all the way down to Atlanta for service. highfalutintodd, glad to know there will be another Model S owner in the area...I certainly haven't seen many posts from folks in Nashville.

Glad I stumbled across this thread as I lived in Denver when I placed my Model S order but just recently relocated to Nashville for work. Should be taking my delivery sometime in mid-February and am glad to know the ranger service should get me by without having to drive all the way down to Atlanta for service. highfalutintodd, glad to know there will be another Model S owner in the area...I certainly haven't seen many posts from folks in Nashville.

Welcome to the boards, TennTSLA, and welcome to Nashville! Really glad to have another Middle Tennessee person at TMC!