Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to restrict access to games?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When our youngest daughter was around age 12 or 14 or so, she was used to getting her way, against my wishes. On one Sunday night was told she had to do her homework before she could watch TV. She disagreed and had a full blown temper tantrum on the living room floor in front of the TV and my wife spent a lot of time bargaining with her and cajoling her. This, however, pissed me off. I saw red. I am not going to be held hostage by a 12 year old who was used to getting her own way. Things had to stop. So that evening I went back to the TV, unplugged it and cut the power wires nearly flush with the back of the set and threw the cord on the floor of the living room.

Well, you can guess who was Mr Unpopular. My wife was pissed, the kids were pissed, no one would talk to me (that was OK, was working long hours anyway) but gradually we achieved control over the household. We had a small 15 inch TV in our bedroom, and the kids were allowed a little TV after school when their homework was done and then evenings were spent playing games, or reading or family activities. After about 3-4 months I repaired the TV and we slowly introduced it back into the household with restrictions.

So the motto of the story is.... don't cut any wires on the Tesla.

Mike P

• Love
Reactions: MXWing and Akikiki
I bet most of these comments are from people who don't have kids, or have kids who grew up after smartphones.

Wrong. My kids are contemporary with OPs.

Even if they are born after 2010 I work to instill concepts I believe will serve them in adulthood.

-There is an outside. Experience it.
-No is ok.
-There is a time and place for everything.
-You are not special.

This is how the convo would of went down:

"We are usually in the car because we have to head somewhere right? Are you really going to be a selfish little punk tying up everyone’s time because you have no sense of consideration for other people, lack EQ, lack situational awareness and not using your brain?"

"Yes dad."

"Tell me again, why you are being dumb".

"We have places to go and sitting here would waste everyone's time."

"Good, we can play Beach Buggy after you get ALL your work done on Saturday".

Reactions: Akikiki and mbp11
iPad? Get her a comic book or newspaper. The answer is not to give them more devices to stick their noses in.
Something happened in the last two generations. When I was growing up, our parents didn't entertain us every minute of our lives. As a matter of fact just the opposite. When mom or dad had had enough whining or slapping between the kids, that magic arm would swing back over the top of the front seat back and whack a kid he/she could reach. If you were within arm's length, you were the guilty one and paid the price for everyone. Not enough of that now days. We learned to sit quietly (half the time) looking out the window, else they would take away our 29 cent hula-hoop or "stevie-the-stick" when we got home.

• Love
Reactions: MXWing