TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Is it possible to retrofit Autopilot?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Mother Frunker, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Mother Frunker

I'm sure this has been beaten to death, so I'm proactively apologizing.

But anyway, if you have an older model S, can this be done ? If not, can parking sensors be retrofitted?

How ow much for each ?

Thanks.

2. liuping

liuping Active Member

The Autopilot retrofit would require a new steering and breaking system as well as all the sensors.

It would probably be $30k or more, which is probably why Tesla has said they will not be offering it.

3. Jgdixon

Jgdixon Member

The question was asked again at TMC Connect and they said it would involve a whole new wiring harness, so a definite no.

4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Retro Fit Auto Pilot?

Yes, it came up at TMC Connect and the answer from Tesla was an emphatic "NO" to retrofitting the Autopilot sensor package (additional ultrasonics, forward radar, and forward camera) because it would require replacing the car's wiring harness which would require "taking the car apart and then putting it back together". The question about retrofitting the first version of the parking sensors was not asked at the event, but I can assure you that Tesla will not do it.

5. gnelson

gnelson Member

Parking sensors can be retrofitted in some Model S. There are several VIN's that don't have the proper wiring harness connection for the parking sensors. My VIN is on that list.

6. Khatsalano

Khatsalano Member

Yea, this was asked at TMC 2015. The VP of Production said definitely no, this is not going to happen.

- K

7. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Just go aftermarket for parking sensors.
    You would also need a new windscreen for autopilot.
    Alternative - get a new car.

8. ojee99

ojee99 Onno

So, why don't you use search then?

9. robby

robby Member

Did anybody ask about upgrading Autopilot v1 hardware to Autopilot v2 hardware, as Elon has claimed will ship with Model X (and presumably be brought over to S at the same time or shortly thereafter)?

10. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I did not hear that question asked. And even if someone did ask no one from Tesla would have answered it. They were all very careful when responding to questions.