Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to retrofit updated wood door trim panels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MYohMY

May 24, 2021
I'm no expert, but from what I see, it appears the newly updated wood door panels (which first appeared in Chinese Model Y) may be able to be swapped onto the older doors. Does anyone agree? Disagree? Anyone tried yet? Older panels range from $250 - $399 on ebay. Seems like a nice DIY upgrade.

Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 3.29.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 3.30.25 PM.png

Anyone had the opp to price out the new door panel parts and try a retrofit?

Knowing Tesla they will purposefully make it not fit..lol. They did the same to their S bumper refresh in 2016 and adjusted the front hood angle ever so slightly to make retrofitting a pain the arse.

Purpose of all auto manufacturers: make older models as obsolete as possible to allow for RE purchases and selling more cars. Making parts which can retrofit is counter intuitive to future sales lol.

I can imagine the presentation meeting by the Design team…

’well done Johnson!…and your 100% positive you made every angle and curve off by 1-2mm as we asked right? Good job! Here have some Tesla shaped doughnuts. Ok onto our next topic…how do we increase epa ratings to make our buyers keep wanting to upgrade but not actually make any changes? Anyone? Jonhaon nervously…’uh sir…we could simply make the change on our website and it will make Elon happy?’
🤷🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️