Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to train the voice recognition?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model S uses Google Voice--the voice recognition is not performed onboard. Your recording is sent over 3G to Google's servers, where it's interpreted and the response is sent back to the car.

Basically, every time someone uses it Google trains the recognition. It should actually be quite good even with Aussie and other accents. My guess is your accent is not the reason why it's failing.

Make sure you pause after pressing the button and wait until after the beep to start talking.

Make sure you don't let up on the button until after you finish speaking. I usually wait a half second or so after speaking before I let up the button.

It will have more trouble if the pano roof/windows are open. In that case it's good to lean forward, toward the rear view mirror so the mics can pic up your voice better.

Speak clearly--don't yell and don't talk too unnaturally.

If you follow these tips, it should work pretty well.

Pet Peeve:

Voice Recognition is when the ship's computer recognizes Captain Kirk is issuing a command. His voice is recognized.

Speech Recognition is when the ship's computer recognizes it is being given a self-destruct command. His words are recognized.

The Model S uses Google Voice--the voice recognition is not performed onboard. Your recording is sent over 3G to Google's servers, where it's interpreted and the response is sent back to the car.

Basically, every time someone uses it Google trains the recognition. It should actually be quite good even with Aussie and other accents. My guess is your accent is not the reason why it's failing.

Make sure you pause after pressing the button and wait until after the beep to start talking.

Make sure you don't let up on the button until after you finish speaking. I usually wait a half second or so after speaking before I let up the button.

It will have more trouble if the pano roof/windows are open. In that case it's good to lean forward, toward the rear view mirror so the mics can pic up your voice better.

I think it's the accent, as a Brit that's been in the US for 8 years (so I tend to be accused of being Australian by most Americans, I guess my accent is somewhere over the atlantic) the speech recognition in the Model S is hopeless/laughable. If I have an actual American in the car, it rarely has an issue. The one thing I don't get, and I realize he's the boss, is how it always works perfectly for Elon. I'd previously assumed there was, or would be, a language setting, so I could select UK English, but nothing so far. If I put on my best American accent, which by most accounts is actually horrible, then it correctly hears me about 70% of the time (vs. 20% the rest of the time).

I'm sorry, but this sounds like total fantasy. Google Voice? Google trains the recognition? Do you have specific information to corroborate this?

The voice recognition is handled on Tesla's end by Tesla's servers. Google is not involved in any way. And no, the software does not train itself.

I'm sorry, but this sounds like total fantasy. Google Voice? Google trains the recognition? Do you have specific information to corroborate this?
The voice recognition is handled on Tesla's end by Tesla's servers. Google is not involved in any way. And no, the software does not train itself.

I think it's noted in your user manual. It does indeed use Google's speech recognition services. Google does indeed analyze and improve the voice recognition automatically on an ongoing basis. This is explicitly why there's no "training" involved when you buy the car. In a quick search I found this comment from Tesla:

"Our ability to maintain seamless functionality and introduce new features is contingent on customers upgrading to the latest software. For example, an upcoming change to Google voice recognition technology on April 30, 2013 will disrupt the Voice Command feature in Model S software versions 4.2 and earlier. To ensure the best ownership experience without interruption to features, Tesla recommends you upgrade your software."

I'm sure you could easily find more.

Last edited:
I to have truble being understod by the tesla. Even if I try to speak clear and slow... but im danish so proberby why. I hve stop using it as it only works 1 out of 5 times, even worse then the vw wich have voice controled nav.
Tesla have a nice big software keybord and its much easyer/ quicker as it doesent think about what have been said and need to be corrected.

About using google, it have been mentioned several times at the time it was introduced - back in 2011 i belive
Se this where strauble are quotet for it.
Wolverton: Tesla's Model S is fast and fun - San Jose Mercury News

I to have truble being understod by the tesla. Even if I try to speak clear and slow... but im danish so proberby why. I hve stop using it as it only works 1 out of 5 times, even worse then the vw wich have voice controled nav.
Tesla have a nice big software keybord and its much easyer/ quicker as it doesent think about what have been said and need to be corrected.

About using google, it have been mentioned several times at the time it was introduced - back in 2011 i belive
Se this where strauble are quotet for it.
Wolverton: Tesla's Model S is fast and fun - San Jose Mercury News
I can practically hear the accent in your post :wink:

Sorry it's not working well for you, though.

I think it's noted in your user manual. It does indeed use Google's speech recognition services. Google does indeed analyze and improve the voice recognition automatically on an ongoing basis. This is explicitly why there's no "training" involved when you buy the car. In a quick search I found this comment from Tesla:

I'm sure you could easily find more.

Wait, so I don't know everything? lol... thanks guys, and sorry.

(LMB spouse)

How well does the speech recognition work for e.g. Norwegian owners? Is it country-specific in some way? The car is being sold in the UK; I would think we would hear more complaints from the rhotically impaired (sorry, attempt at humor) if it didn't work there.

Usually its a function of how popular Google's Voice Search is in your country, and how long it's supported the language. It's only supported Norwegian since 2012, whereas German, for example has been working since 2010. For reference, English (both British and American variations) launched in 2008.

Usually its a function of how popular Google's Voice Search is in your country, and how long it's supported the language. It's only supported Norwegian since 2012, whereas German, for example has been working since 2010. For reference, English (both British and American variations) launched in 2008.

I still wish that Tesla would provide the option to select a different variation, regardless of the cars location, for us foreigners.

My car does not seem to like my accent, and routinely fails to bring up the correct name in my contacts list, and occasionally fails to recognize the command itself. Even using the correct limited commands it is supposed to recognise.

Joining this conversation late, but I am having mixed results with the speech recognition. It seems to work fairly well for Rdio music selection but is laughable for any navigation destinations. It normally ends up with a destination in the US! My accent is a mix of British and Aussie but even if I try to mimic American pronounciation it doesn't cope with Australian place names....

I think it's the accent, as a Brit that's been in the US for 8 years (so I tend to be accused of being Australian by most Americans, I guess my accent is somewhere over the atlantic) the speech recognition in the Model S is hopeless/laughable. If I have an actual American in the car, it rarely has an issue. The one thing I don't get, and I realize he's the boss, is how it always works perfectly for Elon. I'd previously assumed there was, or would be, a language setting, so I could select UK English, but nothing so far. If I put on my best American accent, which by most accounts is actually horrible, then it correctly hears me about 70% of the time (vs. 20% the rest of the time).

LOL here (in a trans-Atlantic accent). You're not alone.

I have the same problem with my model 3, I've tried all those things, no slang as well but it nearly always mis understand what I say, when I bought my last phone Huawei Google asked .e to say about six or so different sentences on the screen, I presume to train itself to my voice, and I hardly every misunderstands what I say, I would think with the technology Tesla have this would be an option when you set your profile .