Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to upgrade from autopilot FSD 2.0 to 3.0 using ebay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys,

I have 2017 Model S p100D - It has full self driving FSD, but it has the autopilot 2.0 computer only.

I would like to get a 3.0 computer in it. I found one at ebay for only $550.

Does anyone know if it work if i installed it myself and then put the car into service mode and did a full software reinstall?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Guys,

I have 2017 Model S p100D - It has full self driving FSD, but it has the autopilot 2.0 computer only.

I would like to get a 3.0 computer in it. I found one at ebay for only $550.

Does anyone know if it work if i installed it myself and then put the car into service mode and did a full software reinstall?

Thanks in advance.
For cars that paid fsd, the fsd 3.0 computer is free in both parts and labor.

You might be thinking about the MCU upgrade that is extra and not free.

But to answer your question, swapping some hardware such as this one requires software knowledge to get it working.

Upvote 0
If you knew how to swap the computers, put it into service mode, and do a full software reinstall to recognize and accept the new computer (and I assume whatever database Tesla is using to keep track of what car has what hardware and therefore what software updates to send, etc).... then I would think you know enough to be the one answering the question.

Upvote 0
MCU 1 to MCU2 upgrade is about $2000 from Tesla but is not needed for FSD. The retrofit includes two new screens and labor. It is one of the better bargains as upgrades go (I paid $2700 a few years back for it). Tesla switched from MCU1 to MCU2 on the Model S at the start of March 2018.

As others pointed out the AP3.0 FSD processor is free to all that bought FSD and don't already have 3.0.

Upvote 0