Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to use the Tesla 2020 Roadster as a daily driver ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used to take the original Roadster to work, during the summer months. It had a trunk the size of a golf bag. I got groceries in the thing- you name it.

If it can be done in the original Roadster, it’ll be a piece of cake in the 2020 version.
So are you saying that you will only be able to fit a piece of cake in the 2020 version Doug? Lol!

Bolt a tow bar to the Roadster, hook up a trailer and it'll be easy.

Or more seriously, maybe a roof box/rack. I know Koenigsegg has it:

Koenigsegg-Agera-R-real-geneva-1.jpgw0MrNl64zIu4j8jqr95zfzW&ust=1524924800638615

I pre-ordered the roadster, but what I really want to know is if I can use it as a daily driver.

This future roadster, if the look of it will still be the same, does not look as fancy as other super/hyper car so it may not get that much attention. It is like a high end Porsche....people will know it is expensive, but it does not scream weekend car.

I have two small children that I like to take them to school in the morning before I go to work. So I would like to drive the roadster as much as possible.

This car will not be gas guzzler since it is electric so daily driving would not cost much compared to a super/hyper ICE car. There will be low maintenance cost also.

A few things that would make it hard to be a daily driver is:

1. The storage space. My son does fencing and tennis so there are bags of equipment that must be in the trunk. I do not how much space will be available for storage.

2. The fear of it being scratched by other people. I guess this is a given for any expensive car.

Anyway, for those who will get this car in the future, will you use it as a daily driver? .... or at least a few days per week?
Can you? Yes as many of us have used the gen 1 Roadster as a daily drive. But a Model 3 would be far more practical.

Now that we're on the subject of tires, wouldn't the wear on those super-high performance tires prevent us from using it daily?
Or could lower performing tires legally be mounted?
I think this is the main decision point for daily driving. At something north of $1,000 per set (I heard one report of $1,200) and perhaps at most a year's worth of average driving, the original tires may be a significant burden, financially, for daily driving.

But I also expect that other tires can be found, with longer wear, lower cost, but at a lower performance level. They would certainly be legal, assuming they have the proper load rating for the car.

Why would you possibly spend $200k on a car and then cheap out on tires?
Possibly because you paid $200k on the car, leaving $200k less in the bank. :)

But from an accounting perspective, the $200k is a sunk cost. Looking forward, if one is valuing the car for the tech, extreme range range, and pretty good (if not Bughatti-busting) performance, one might just go for a lower cost, more accessible, and relatively "pretty good" tires. One of the benefits of EV ownership is a general lack of periodic maintenance, which for most super cars can be extreme. Having to get new tires every year is kind of like requiring periodic maintenance, no?

Possibly because you paid $200k on the car, leaving $200k less in the bank. :)

But from an accounting perspective, the $200k is a sunk cost. Looking forward, if one is valuing the car for the tech, extreme range range, and pretty good (if not Bughatti-busting) performance, one might just go for a lower cost, more accessible, and relatively "pretty good" tires. One of the benefits of EV ownership is a general lack of periodic maintenance, which for most super cars can be extreme. Having to get new tires every year is kind of like requiring periodic maintenance, no?
It's more along the lines of "if you can afford a $200,000 car then you can afford to buy good f#%€ing tires, too."

Plus you're not going to get that extreme performance with crap tires.

Reactions: HankLloydRight