Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to use the Tesla 2020 Roadster as a daily driver ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To the OP, I’m surprised no one brought up the obvious answer to his question. You’re talking about a car that is new $250k. Your expenses are not going to be gas (or electrons) or maintanence or dings. It’s DEPRECIATION. Every mile you drive is going to be literally like throwing $20s out the window. Practically all hyper car owners drive their cars only a few hundred miles up to a couple thousand per year to limit their losses in depreciation at the time of sale.

People in the hyper car community essentially drive cars for a couple thousand miles and then sell. They continually do this. This is why you commonly see hyper cars with 3-4 owners in as many or even less years.

So yes you can daily it but if you’re buying it new your expenses will be obscene depreciation.

To the OP, I’m surprised no one brought up the obvious answer to his question. You’re talking about a car that is new $250k. Your expenses are not going to be gas (or electrons) or maintanence or dings. It’s DEPRECIATION. Every mile you drive is going to be literally like throwing $20s out the window. Practically all hyper car owners drive their cars only a few hundred miles up to a couple thousand per year to limit their losses in depreciation at the time of sale.

People in the hyper car community essentially drive cars for a couple thousand miles and then sell. They continually do this. This is why you commonly see hyper cars with 3-4 owners in as many or even less years.

So yes you can daily it but if you’re buying it new your expenses will be obscene depreciation.

First of all, the Roadster 2020 is more like a supercar than a hypercar. Hypercar tends to be ICE car (with the exception of the Rimac Concept II) and the car parts depreciate less if it is in a newer condition. The Roadster is more electronic than other ICE car and its main component is the battery. It is the battery that is most valuable. Since car battery technology will improve fairly quickly as the years go by, the exotic electric car will tend to depreciate faster because who would want to have an old battery. It is like owning a cell phone. Even if you put that Galaxy Note 8 in the drawer and not use it, two years later, that phone would become obsolete.

So I think that I will try to drive the Roadster 2020 as much as I can. If it was a Ferrari 488, then I would try to drive it as less often as I can so I can have a good resell value.

Depreciation is not that big a deal for a lot of people who buy those cars. Their $20 depreciation is not as significant as $1 for most people. The fact is just those super/hypercars are not that comfortable to drive in most situations. Many people who keep their late model Lambos or Ferraris for weekend drive likely also have a S Class or Cayenne (and now Model S) to drive to work everyday. The hope here is the new Roadster would not have any of those drivability issues. I for one have no interest of putting the car in the garage so I can look at it everyday and to sell it in a couple of years for a 20% depreciation.

Last edited:
That’s exactly what I’ll be using it for.
Gonna xpel wrap it and hope for the best. At the end of the day it’s still only a car meant to be used as a mode of transportation

I would slightly change your statement.

At the end of the day a model 3 is meant for transportation but the roadster is to make you smile (perhaps giggle) during transportation

air suspension a known solution offered by Tesla

I did not even know this was a thing, thanks. Watched some videos on it, definitely looks promising.

It seems it can be configured to do things automatically, but it is unclear to me to what extent. If it could be configured to something like automatically raising below 25mph/40km and lowering above, and the high setting is sufficient to clear the speedbumps here, that would tick all the boxes.

In the Model S, it has 4 settings: Very High, High, Normal, and Low. You can set it to go to Low above a certain speed (we have ours set to 50mph) for highway cruise. Also, when you set it to Very High or High, above a certain speed (can't remember) it reverts to Normal. But here's the great thing: if you set it to Very High, it remembers where you did it, and it will automatically go to that as you approach the place. Fantastic for places with drainage channels and stuff. I assume the new Roadster will do this or even better.

Reactions: KidsEyeDr
I absolutely intend to use my roadster as a daily driver.

Except I won't drive it if it's snowing,… Or raining… Or too windy. Oh, and I wouldn't drive it to work because it could get dinged. I wouldn't take it to a grocery store because it might get scratched. And no gravelly or bumpy roads.

But seriously, I'll have to wait until it arrives to determine whether or not it's comfortable enough for daily driving or just Fairweather Fair road driving.