TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Is it possible to view/touch the Model X?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Sunnyday, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Sunnyday

Sunnyday Member

I'm considering placing a deposit for the Model X for my wife, but first she'd like to see a prototype in person. Is there a showroom in the SF Bay Area that has one on the floor? Or do I just place the deposit now and then wait for the unveiling to make a final decision?

2. Crispix

Crispix Member

The only public prototype I know of is in Hawthorne, and you can't open the doors. Looking through the heavily tinted windows, the inside looks like a mockup anyway. It's not much to go on and not worth the effort of visiting unless you're already at the supercharger.

3. Sunnyday

Sunnyday Member

Thanks, Crispix

4. Lump

Lump Active Member

I saw the X for the first time last Sunday at Hawthorne, as expected women were very interested in it, it was bigger then I had imagined, it didn't have side mirrors instead replaced by cameras (I think they want to do away with mirrors but have some regulations to overcome)

There are lots of images & videos on Google, you can get a pretty good idea of what will eventually be produced.

5. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

3 prototypes available. 1 is on display and you can't touch. The other two were available to the public. 1 with standard interior, the second with variable interior (glossy white, black sport). You can tell the public demos by the sides mirrors which are identical to the Model S. The first prototype has the camera mirrors

6. Benz

Benz Active Member

In March my brother and I went to the Geneva Motor Show. For me the Tesla Model X was the single most important car which I just had to see in person, and that was the main reason for me to drive all the way to Geneva. And I am really glad I went to Geneva for it. I would prefer the Model X, even if that means that you will have to wait one extra year for it. Most important reasons: more room, seats for 7 adults and still enough room for luggage, higher seating position, dual-motor all wheel drive, falcon wing doors, etc.

7. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

It is possible that the final production model X may have a slightly different body that the prototypes we've seen to date.

8. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

This one was on display at the Fremont factory in July when I was there...

IMG_1283.JPG

9. Paul Carter

Paul Carter Active Member

There are some more pics and video on this post. Good luck deciding! A big decision for sure! Photos/Video from Model X at Teslive Factory Party.

I found it bigger in person as well, but fell more in love with it. Love the gloss white interior. Makes me think of storm troupers. I may even nickname it after a Star Wars shuttle. That's even a harder decision!

10. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Red 5 maybe? Certainly possibilities for some creative license plates.

11. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Tydirium?

12. Paul Carter

Nah, according to wookieepedia...

And that it could hold almost 2 dozen crew.

Thus it'll have to be something a little more smaller and a hell of a lot faster. :p

13. wts13

wts13 Member

14. engle

engle Member

#14 engle, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
    It's been SO LONG NOW since I saw the first public prototype at the old Santana Row store I've forgotten when that was? Of course, as an investor, I understand why the Model X was delayed to maximize cash flow from S sales.

I just CAN'T WAIT to get a surprise email inviting all of us X reservationists, and the S and roadster owners to attend the "Tesla Factory Model X Ride Event and Factory Tour" -- just like we did that October with the Model S!! To see the previous riders return to the white tents, a Beta Model X's Falcon Doors silently swoop open, they all get out, and my wife, son and I get in for our joy ride around Tesla's new test track. Like Disneyworld only better!!

Then, after we see the exhibits and have some snacks and a drink, after our tour we'll be ushered back inside the factory to stand around a blank, white, round stage with a ramp, excitedly awaiting the arrival of Elon and his sons plus a guy hiding in the frunk and another big one in a 3rd row seat, with Elon behind the wheel of the first publicly shown pre-production Model X with the final design!

Once customer Model X's hit the roads, the falcon doors will attract even more free advertising for Tesla just by being opened in parking lots or on the neighbor's driveway. I predict it will be an iconic vehicle and take it's place alongside the first roadster and Model S at the Smithsonian Museum of Science and Technology someday...

Russ

PS. My only personal concern at this point is what to do about my ML 350 Bluetec lease that expires 5/30/2014? Extend it, but for how long? Or perhaps settle for a Toyota RAV4 EV compliance SUV for awhile, but I've read they have some issues. Hope to have a +/- 1-2 months target timeline for earliest production after they finish with the signatures by then...

P^2S. Ours will be white exterior since that's my wife's favorite color for vehicles. Agree the design is a bit evocative of the storm trooper transport. I hope it has automatic parallel parking at introduction since they've given themselves these extra months to implement really convenient features like this.

P^3S. A few months ago, I finally got around to canceling an extra "12/31/2012" online S reservation I'd made after I was playing with the config. and it tried to initiate an order. I received a call from somebody in Tesla accounting. She said: "I noticed you have a model X reservation. Is it OK if I just apply the extra $5K to your Model X? It's easier for me." Me: "It's better if I just buy some more stock." She laughed, said "everybody says that", and credited it back to my card.

15. Paul Carter

That's kinda fun. We only get 6 letters in BC + 1 space or dash

Here is the first contender: AKA JOR

The Aka'jor-class shuttle was a shuttle model designed and built by the Mandalorian starship company, MandalMotors. The shuttle was lauded for the efficiency of its engines and the smooth acceleration they provided, contributing to its popularity....the shuttle featured twin rotating wings that were held in a horizontal layout while flying, but swung into an upward configuration for landing...Build without weapons and owners loved to customize it.

16. c041v

c041v Member

How about SKY HPR?

"You may be the hottest bush pilot this side of Mos Eisley, Luke, but those little skyhoppers can be dangerous. They move awfully fast for tropospheric craft—faster than they need to. Keep playing engine jockey with one and someday, whammo! You're going to be nothing more than a dark spot on the damp side of a canyon wall."