Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it really worth it?

Is it really the right time to buy a Model 3?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picking it up was rubbish, but as others have said, my experience of every dealer (Audi, Mercedes and Ford) have all been bad. The only company that got it right were Honda.

The car is the right tech, at the right time. The day to day running is easy, and the car is genuinely years ahead.

1. What additional communication do you need between ordering and taking delivery? Once you place your order, you should already have the funds available or financing approved. Once you are notified that your car is ready for delivery, you should already be ready to take delivery.
2. We've bought 10 Teslas over the past few years. While the first few had minor issues, the more recent cars have been flawless. While you may see several reports of issues from other new owners, they are most likely the exception, not the rule. The thousands of people receiving perfect cars aren't going to post that they didn't have problems. Typically you will hear more from those with complaints than from those with no issues.
3. If there isn't anything wrong, then this isn't an issue.
4. If there isn't anything wrong, then this isn't an issue.

Don't worry. You will love the car and there most likely won't be anything wrong with it. If there are any issues, Tesla will take care of it. If it is a minor issue, most likely no one will notice it but you so there shouldn't be a rush to get it fixed. If there is a major issue, you can refuse delivery.

Try to be optimistic and don't assume there will be problems. Most likely, there won't be any hassle. Several of our deliveries have just required a few minutes of our time and only a signature or two before we were out the door and driving home in our new car.

I do get this, I really do but.... I’ve had issues with every single car that I’ve owned. Eight in total. So I expect issues, things that need fixing etc. Just worried about how quickly they will get done!

If it were me I'd wait for the Model Y. IMHO its overall package would seem better and hopefully all the lessons learnt that the Model 3 production (and hopefully sales too) has brought will have been dealt with. I don't see the Model 3 surviving unless it gets the tailgate too.

that’s a really interesting take on it. But that would be what another four years before it arrives?

Right I’ve had the car 3 months It’s great what is not great is Tesla customer service.

It’s been over 3 months and customer service is none existent leaving me on a never ending wait for parts that may arrive next year, after having been to an appointment after waiting months only to have to come back at a unspecified date in the future, so for this reason I don't recommend them currently.

That’s a shame but thank you for sharing. Does this service issue really detract from the car?

Reactions: pow216
I get that this is a forum and most forums are where people express displeasure rather than pleasure but from a brief scan it would seem that if I order a Model 3 I can expect:

1. No communication between order and about a week before delivery with no timescales ever given
  2. A rushed handover (I live in London) with a high probability of panel misalignment and/or missing cables
  3. A long wait time for any repairs from above to be fixed
  4. Absolutely no answer to any phone calls or emails about the above

So my question is - is it worth it?

Despite all that 89% of people in poll say YES, so surely that answers your question!!

Any other car/brand I doubt your see that figure been 50%, it took Tesla 2 years and 30K to sort out all the issues that came with our X on delivery - that included the car breaking down on a Sunday afternoon requiring a tow to a service centre. I would buy another Tesla without any hesitation, like the vast majority of owners on here.

Reactions: chewystuey
I dred every pothole, every puddle, every stone, every kerb, every door opening on an icy morning, every time someone parks next to us and every time the relay clicks on the UMC when it starts to charge.
Those are the areas which still worry me but less so since I added 18inch rims and had the car PPFd. I do feel it's a bit "fragile" build wise e.g. the use of fibrous material on the underside which is clearly not fit for purpose in wet climates. I'm used to driving German cars which are still generally very robust, so maybe I'm over sensitive. Maybe ask me again in 3 years. But driving quality wise, it's a joy and second to none

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking here for a few months and I am about ready to push the button on a Model 3 LR but I've noticed a LOT of problems that you all seem to have!

I get that this is a forum and most forums are where people express displeasure rather than pleasure but from a brief scan it would seem that if I order a Model 3 I can expect:

1. No communication between order and about a week before delivery with no timescales ever given
  2. A rushed handover (I live in London) with a high probability of panel misalignment and/or missing cables
  3. A long wait time for any repairs from above to be fixed
  4. Absolutely no answer to any phone calls or emails about the above

So my question is - is it worth it? I know there a few very vocal guys on here who clearly wish they hadn't of purchased one but how about the rest of you? Is the car worth the hassle?

Thanks!
Depends if you have any problems. Buying process was very frustrating, but no issues since getting the car - easily the best car I've ever had.

Test drive cancelled, as were many others. Ordered anyway.

Took the 3 months I was told it would take to arrive.

payment easy.

handover was unremarkable but fine.

Car has no issues. Done 1,300 miles and still love it.

some stuff reminds you that you’re part of the experiment but that’s fine for me. The alternative is not being part of the experiment. That isn’t fine for me.

love the car. Love the company ethos. Love how the future looks.

if I gave you a list of minor things I’d improve I’d be like one of those who’ve read too many car reviews and say stuff like ‘the seat could be 1/2” to the left for perfect trouser creasing’ or ‘I find the location of the serial number on the app irritating’.

best car I’ve ever owned and nothing like any car I’ve ever owned. That’s the point and it’s very good at it.

I’m probably one of the horror stories on delivery issues resulting in at least 3 trips to SC as they either missed sthg or made it worse. Including an idiot washing the car before handover with passenger window open and the subsequent issues that caused. I’ve had 3 panels resprayed owing to paint issues and scratches during transit. It goes without saying that I would have preferred not to go through all that. Nevertheless 3 months and 3k+ miles in, its the most loved car I have ever had and no regrets in this significant purchase. My children love it too. I would choose it again (unless Model Y was available at not much higher pricing).

I think if you go into it with your eyes open then you won't regret it. Expecting perfection (or even close to it) would be unrealistic, but the car at the end is excellent and I don't think many people would choose differently if they could do so again, despite the odd issues.

For me the communication from a May order to delivery 4 months later was appalling, with just a few days' notice to collect the car having heard nothing (including no responses to trying to contact them via phone and email). Communication at the end improved and I would expect it to be better now, but be prepared for a lack of info.

Collection was very busy (quarter end) and I was given almost no time to inspect before driving off, but asked to check outside and report issues to the (as it turned out, closed) sales office. However, the car was in good shape and the few minor paint marks/ chips were resolved either on the day by their detailers or at my later service appointment. Make sure you capture any issues and report before driving off though.

The service centre did a great job fixing the paint, but I had to wait nearly two months for the nearest appointment. It could be an issue if there was something more urgent.

With the car then you need to accept that things don't all work as advertised. FSD is limited, auto-wipers and auto-dimming headlights are flaky, interior quality is fine for me but may not impress if you're previously used to higher end cars. Getting used to the single screen rather than arrays of dials/ buttons is straightforward, but at times you may wish for a button (wipers!!) but will then forget about it again, as most of the time the simplicity is great. Most things are excellent and the fact it improves regularly means that the car always gets better.

It's more than 3 times the price of the most expensive car I've ever bought, and I probably should have bought cheaper and paid off some of my mortgage, but I have no regrets still! We're entirely electric now and very glad to be so.

My experience.

1. Ordering online is great. No salesman!
  2. Delivery was changed twice and delayed once, so it sucked.
  3. Finally receiving my car, the experience was wonderful. Tesla rep showed me around the car (or actually I showed him), I signed a couple pages and off I went.
  4. One month after delivery, my computer went out. (I couldn't prove it, but I really thing think the window tint guy got water in it.) Tesla replaced no charge.
  5. Since taking delivery August of 2018, I've had to replace my front windshield twice covered under insurance from rocks.
  6. Roof glass replaced once from rocks.
  7. Rear glass replaced once because of a crack that developed from the robot pushing down too hard. (Tesla fixed for free)
  8. Driving experience. I've owned everything from Ford to BMW. Nothing drives like Tezz. Nothing! Love it!
  9. No GAS!!!!!!!!!!!!
  10. Insurance - First Gieco screwed me. Then I got Progressive and my insurance went back down to the amount it should be. Shop around!

So. would I buy again? Oh heck ya! Should you? That's your call.

oh god!!

That's exactly the sort of thing I worry about.

Worry less and enjoy more!

Life is too short to wait for the perfect EV to come along. Tesla are ahead of the competition by miles if you look at all factors - performance, range, tech, features, looks, costs etc.

Honestly, nothing in this world is perfect. Enjoy the best things about Tesla cars and don’t worry too much about the little things that may be imperfect - most of these things the average person will not even notice or will be bothered by too much.