Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it reasonable to ask Tesla delivery service to improve sound proofing the car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I took delivery last week and found some minor cosmetic defect that need to be touched by Tesla service this Friday. I also notice the sound proofing of the car is not really good. When I drive on highway over 90 mile/hr I can hear loud wind noise. I wondering if this is common and normal among model 3? or is it something reasonable to ask Tesla delivery service to improve on?

I also noticed the plastic inner sleeves look flappy for the passenger door. Wondering if it's common among model 3 owners or something service should fix?

20191231_090544.jpg

20191231_090613.jpg

Hello,

I took delivery last week and found some minor cosmetic defect that need to be touched by Tesla service this Friday. I also notice the sound proofing of the car is not really good. When I drive on highway over 90 mile/hr I can hear loud wind noise. I wondering if this is common and normal among model 3? or is it something reasonable to ask Tesla delivery service to improve on?

I also noticed the plastic inner sleeves look flappy for the passenger door. Wondering if it's common among model 3 owners or something service should fix?

[

Curious to know what you where expecting? They don't glue them down so they can move a bit. Which is what you want instead of tearing.

I see what the door seals do to help the noise. Tesla provides seals to keep the weather out which are located further from the edge of the door. This leaves a gap into which the wind can blow and create noise which can enter the passenger compartment. The door seal is applied right at the edge of the door which closes the gap to the wind and prevents the noise in the first place.

The first question I would ask is why didn't Tesla install their weather seal in the same place so it would do both jobs? I assume it has something to do with the effectiveness of the weather seal or the size or possibly it is where it is to reduce the likelihood of damage.

Ok, so then the next question would be, why didn't Tesla add the noise reducing seals as well? 4 dB is a significant number in noise tests. I would think they would like to see this improvement for what seems to be a very easy and low cost addition.

most peope here say they are not that effective. I'd love to get some recommendations otherwise..

4dB is not huge, but you should be able to hear it. I know both in my model X and in my truck I can tell there are some specific features that make wind noise. Cut those out and it will be a bit quieter ride that makes a difference on long trips in particular. Noise is tiring.

If you have some hifi gear with a volume control marked in dB you can try testing, listening to the same music at two levels 3 dB apart. You will tell the difference easily.

If the Tesla is too noisy, perhaps a Mercedes is something to consider? Cadillac?
For me, I was out with the wife today mostly on the Interstate, I felt pretty relaxed not noting anything objectionable noise wise.
I do think wind noise might be more noticeable because there is not a screaming ICE engine with all it's noise and vibration to partially mask the sound of the car barreling through the air.
I have to laugh a bit when I see a video of the cockpit of a glider that represents the flight from inside as being silent - it is not, It can be difficult to talk without an intercom.
Maybe there is a difference in build quality perhaps?

If the Tesla is too noisy, perhaps a Mercedes is something to consider? Cadillac?
For me, I was out with the wife today mostly on the Interstate, I felt pretty relaxed not noting anything objectionable noise wise.
I do think wind noise might be more noticeable because there is not a screaming ICE engine with all it's noise and vibration to partially mask the sound of the car barreling through the air.
I have to laugh a bit when I see a video of the cockpit of a glider that represents the flight from inside as being silent - it is not, It can be difficult to talk without an intercom.
Maybe there is a difference in build quality perhaps?

I don't really notice the sound of my engine on the highway in my truck unless I mash the gas pedal. Cars are not really all that loud and at speed the wind noise dominates with tires being a close second.

ICE have been improving for over 100 years. While they have their issues, noise is not one of them unless there is something wrong or you just want it to be loud on purpose. Diesels are a different story.

I think the ideal car would be to mandate Tesla build the power train and someone else provide the body and interior. Not that the Teslas are bad, but they could have been better. After nearly 10 years in business Tesla is starting to form a corporate culture that will be solidifying into a pattern not so easy to change.