Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it reasonable to ask Tesla delivery service to improve sound proofing the car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Porsche thinks glass will help. Maybe Tesla can offer the option.
upload_2020-1-6_7-30-16.png

• Funny
Reactions: VT_EE
I don't really notice the sound of my engine on the highway in my truck unless I mash the gas pedal. Cars are not really all that loud and at speed the wind noise dominates with tires being a close second.

ICE have been improving for over 100 years. While they have their issues, noise is not one of them unless there is something wrong or you just want it to be loud on purpose. Diesels are a different story.

I think the ideal car would be to mandate Tesla build the power train and someone else provide the body and interior. Not that the Teslas are bad, but they could have been better. After nearly 10 years in business Tesla is starting to form a corporate culture that will be solidifying into a pattern not so easy to change.

I do not believe in mandating what companies build. Unless it's like WW2 maybe... More importantly, you forget the benefits of that corporate culture. You would not have the battery packs you have. The amazing software. The ability to update on the fly. The tech, etc. So yes, let's get rid of that and instead release the car with a 50 mile range, fugly styling, but with a quiet and luxurious interior.

I'm not a Tesla fanboy as I think they're customer service leaves a lot to be desired, but for some reason it seems people expect perfection from Tesla. likee any other automaker they have to make compromises and they just have chosen different compromises than many of the traditional ice makers. While ICE folks are adding turbos and superchargers and microchips for more power or better gas mileage, we add soundproofing insulation, and floor mats.....

Reactions: North75
I do not believe in mandating what companies build. Unless it's like WW2 maybe... More importantly, you forget the benefits of that corporate culture. You would not have the battery packs you have. The amazing software. The ability to update on the fly. The tech, etc. So yes, let's get rid of that and instead release the car with a 50 mile range, fugly styling, but with a quiet and luxurious interior.

I'm not a Tesla fanboy as I think they're customer service leaves a lot to be desired, but for some reason it seems people expect perfection from Tesla. likee any other automaker they have to make compromises and they just have chosen different compromises than many of the traditional ice makers. While ICE folks are adding turbos and superchargers and microchips for more power or better gas mileage, we add soundproofing insulation, and floor mats.....

It was just a thought, an idea, not real, not a practical suggestion. Combining the best of both. From your comments you clearly don't understand where I was going.

Tesla is good at designing drive trains. The other companies are good at designing cars. It would be nice to combine the two to get the best of both worlds.

It was just a thought, an idea, not real, not a practical suggestion. Combining the best of both. From your comments you clearly don't understand where I was going.

Tesla is good at designing drive trains. The other companies are good at designing cars. It would be nice to combine the two to get the best of both worlds.

Ahh, sorry about that. I think the word "mandate" threw me off. I agree that it would be amazing if we could have the best of the different manufacturers.

If the Tesla is too noisy, perhaps a Mercedes is something to consider? Cadillac?
For me, I was out with the wife today mostly on the Interstate, I felt pretty relaxed not noting anything objectionable noise wise.
I do think wind noise might be more noticeable because there is not a screaming ICE engine with all it's noise and vibration to partially mask the sound of the car barreling through the air.
I have to laugh a bit when I see a video of the cockpit of a glider that represents the flight from inside as being silent - it is not, It can be difficult to talk without an intercom.
Maybe there is a difference in build quality perhaps?

Don’t get me wrong, we have loved all our test drives in the 3, but we both noticed how much louder a model 3 was compared to an Eplus SL Leaf. We actually went and drove both again to confirm. The model 3 is superior in many ways but we ended up ordering an Eplus SL Leaf for that and a half dozen other reasons that made it not quite the right fit for us. Love the model 3 though. Best looking sedan on the road by a long shot.

Don’t get me wrong, we have loved all our test drives in the 3, but we both noticed how much louder a model 3 was compared to an Eplus SL Leaf. We actually went and drove both again to confirm. The model 3 is superior in many ways but we ended up ordering an Eplus SL Leaf for that and a half dozen other reasons that made it not quite the right fit for us. Love the model 3 though. Best looking sedan on the road by a long shot.

Someone who has a Consumer Reports membership should be able to find the acoustic test data, no? I'm not a member or I would dig around. I can't imagine they don't measure it.

I came from a Lexus LS460, which is one of the quietest car you can buy. And I don’t notice any wind noise in my Model 3, or any noise for that matter. It’s one of the quietest cars I’ve ever driven. If you have wind noise perhaps you have a leak somewhere that needs to be sealed?

noise is generally higher pitched and on some of my seals, somewhat whistle-sounding. it is quite possible some people reporting a very quiet interior simply cannot hear the noise anymore. there is definitely little sound dampening in the vehicle.

ICE have been improving for over 100 years. While they have their issues, noise is not one of them unless there is something wrong or you just want it to be loud on purpose. Diesels are a different story.

Agreed. There's a hilarious amount of hysteria lobbed at ICEs. They don't "scream"unless you ask them to scream, like cruising the highway in 3rd gear.

My inline-6 barely purrs at 2000rpm when going 75mph. It'll make a pleasant warm note when giving some throttle to pass. And it'll scream a melodic scream if you really kick the pedal.

The unpleasant droning and buzzing noises only happen with gaudy aftermarket setups, or some extreme factory setups, or some weedy 3-, 4-cylinders economy boxes trying to motor up a mountain.

Reactions: giantshark18
Additional sound proofing will ad cost and weight to the cars.

Tesla says they could reduce a lot of wind noise by replacing the side mirrors with cameras. Government not allowing that yet.

Other companies may make design choices to reduce wind rush, but that often results in a less aerodynamic package.

Seems some people find their cars quiet while others are not. Maybe newer models are better or some people have better hearing. In my AWD model 3 it’s ok during normal driving I hear and feel the road especially at higher speeds. If I smash on the panel, noise from front is fairly noticeable, the whine. I would like my car to be quieter but oh well. As some said here, turn up sound and noise problem solved unless driving with passengers where it’s hard to keep up a conversation

Agreed. There's a hilarious amount of hysteria lobbed at ICEs. They don't "scream"unless you ask them to scream, like cruising the highway in 3rd gear.

My inline-6 barely purrs at 2000rpm when going 75mph. It'll make a pleasant warm note when giving some throttle to pass. And it'll scream a melodic scream if you really kick the pedal.

The unpleasant droning and buzzing noises only happen with gaudy aftermarket setups, or some extreme factory setups, or some weedy 3-, 4-cylinders economy boxes trying to motor up a mountain.

It is funny how judgemental folks become when they go electric. I pers
Seems some people find their cars quiet while others are not. Maybe newer models are better or some people have better hearing. In my AWD model 3 it’s ok during normal driving I hear and feel the road especially at higher speeds. If I smash on the panel, noise from front is fairly noticeable, the whine. I would like my car to be quieter but oh well. As some said here, turn up sound and noise problem solved unless driving with passengers where it’s hard to keep up a conversation

It is odd, but I think I find the main source of noise in my new Model 3 to be from the tires. I am surprised since they are Michelins. I test drove versions with the 19-inch wheels (Continental tires) back in September and recall less road noise in those cars. But again, very subjective and based on memory.

I find the cabin noise worst on certain asphalt types here in the Bay Area. The wind noise does not seem that noticeable until I hit around 80 mph.

It is funny how judgemental folks become when they go electric. I pers

It is odd, but I think I find the main source of noise in my new Model 3 to be from the tires. I am surprised since they are Michelins. I test drove versions with the 19-inch wheels (Continental tires) back in September and recall less road noise in those cars. But again, very subjective and based on memory.

I find the cabin noise worst on certain asphalt types here in the Bay Area. The wind noise does not seem that noticeable until I hit around 80 mph.

Interesting, i got 19 with Continental tires. Perhaps I need to lower my tire pressure. I have it set at 45, i read some members here have it at low 40 or even like 39 PSI.

Additional sound proofing will ad cost and weight to the cars.

Tesla says they could reduce a lot of wind noise by replacing the side mirrors with cameras. Government not allowing that yet.

Other companies may make design choices to reduce wind rush, but that often results in a less aerodynamic package.
I have to say wind noise i do notice seems to come from the mirrors.