Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it recommended to sign up for any Tesla Service plans ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will be taking delivery of my new Model S next week. Just wanted to check if any recommendations from existing owners about, signing up for any Tesla service plans ?

I under each checkup costs about $600. Tesla recommends yearly checkup, but how often (miles) do you usually take for check up?

I'm in the same situation as nishT.

For a car with out the traditional maintenance needs that an ICE has, what periodic preventative service is truly important/useful for a MS?

Given that I live about 200 miles from the closest Service Center and the reduced availability/higher cost of Tesla Rangers, I am debating purchasing a service plan. I'd like to think that Tesla will build additional Service Centers to support the impending onslaught of Model 3s during the lifetime of a prospective Service plan, but at this point I'm not sure and would appreciate other users' perspectives.

I bought the prepaid inspections because I thought I'd use them, thinking a machine this complex deserved at least the recommended inspections. The price, IIRC, dropped from $600 to $450 when prepaid. I have done two of them, and think it is worthwhile although I've had nothing really wrong.
If you want the extended warranty you can decide that one almost anytime before your warranty expires, but the extended warranty DOES require the recommended inspections. Living far away from a service centre makes that even more logical, for me anyway.

I will be taking delivery of my new Model S next week. Just wanted to check if any recommendations from existing owners about, signing up for any Tesla service plans ?

I under each checkup costs about $600. Tesla recommends yearly checkup, but how often (miles) do you usually take for check up?

I don't recommend it. I had a service plan on my Sig four years ago. They don't do enough to make it worth it. Most things you can ignore, put off, or have a local garage do. With my new car, I don't plan to take it in any more. I took it to the Service Center for a roof rattle the first week, which they fixed in a few minutes, and charged me exorbitantly. I don't plan to go back any time soon. Flush my battery? Sounds like Nissan when they found out that no one was bringing Leafs in for service. I might go in every couple years. That will be over 50K miles. These are electrics, not gas engine cars.

I feel sorry for those who think the service center does some kind of magic, and that they need to protect their $100K investment. Even when the dash says to take it to service (like for 12 v battery), it's something most anyone can do. Like, 4 bolts. Oh, yeah, they give you new fob batteries, too. Another $5. Oh, and they check your logs. I'm not convinced.

I just yesterday drove too close to a wheel stop that had rebar sticking out the top. Pulled my bumper off the underbody plastic. I could take it to Service. 100 miles each way, wait around 4 hours, and a half dozen bolts. What do you think they'd charge? I have an appointment with my local body shop tomorrow, not next month. 30 minutes, maybe, he says. I will report.

I don't recommend it. I had a service plan on my Sig four years ago. They don't do enough to make it worth it. Most things you can ignore, put off, or have a local garage do. With my new car, I don't plan to take it in any more. I took it to the Service Center for a roof rattle the first week, which they fixed in a few minutes, and charged me exorbitantly. I don't plan to go back any time soon. Flush my battery? Sounds like Nissan when they found out that no one was bringing Leafs in for service. I might go in every couple years. That will be over 50K miles. These are electrics, not gas engine cars.

I feel sorry for those who think the service center does some kind of magic, and that they need to protect their $100K investment. Even when the dash says to take it to service (like for 12 v battery), it's something most anyone can do. Like, 4 bolts. Oh, yeah, they give you new fob batteries, too. Another $5. Oh, and they check your logs. I'm not convinced.

I just yesterday drove too close to a wheel stop that had rebar sticking out the top. Pulled my bumper off the underbody plastic. I could take it to Service. 100 miles each way, wait around 4 hours, and a half dozen bolts. What do you think they'd charge? I have an appointment with my local body shop tomorrow, not next month. 30 minutes, maybe, he says. I will report.

OK, the report. Took my car to the local body shop. They drove it around to a lift, had to move the car that was on the lift, put my car up, got out tools, checked for proper size and type of fastener, installed them, and got my car off the lift. Thirty minutes.

They told me it wasn't enough of a job to charge me.