Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it safe to disconnect center speaker?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am working on upgrading the audio in my 2017 MS with the "base" audio package. It has 1 center dash speaker. I am considering disconnecting it all together instead of trying to replace it or leave it as is. I think that will make for a better sound stage.

Do any beeps/chimes/Nav info/etc come through that speaker (and only that center speaker?)? Or is it safe to disconnect it without missing out on important information from the car while driving?

I disconnected mine years ago when I installed midrange dash speakers. (I was also coming from a base system.) It's much better without the center channel. You'll still get your chimes through the other speakers.
Great, thanks! So you installed 2 dash speakers in the empty slots (left and right) and removed the center one all together?

Great, thanks! So you installed 2 dash speakers in the empty slots (left and right) and removed the center one all together?
Were there holes (left and right) for new mid-range speakers to drop in in your base system?
I'm also contemplating on upgrading my base system but had the same concern regarding the middle speaker. I don't want to pay someone to fabricate a whole setup by the A pillars to house the tweeters AND mid-ranges. If there are holes then I can probably do the upgrade myself.

I have 3 way Focals that I pulled from my Nissan GTR that I was "saving" for a special weekend car but then that might be 2-3 years away. But then I start to question myself on why putting a nice/expensive system in a weekend car that I would only drive ocassionally versus in my daily driver (only car now). I guess I can use them (Focals) in the Model S now.

There are definitely the holes there for the speakers. There are several ok options for easy tweeter replacement without having to fabricate anything. So I would say yes, you can easily put a set of tweeters where the current ones are now and drop in the mids on the 2 sides. That is what @beatle did. I haven't done so, I am slowly making my way through upgrades.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out

There are definitely the holes there for the speakers. There are several ok options for easy tweeter replacement without having to fabricate anything. So I would say yes, you can easily put a set of tweeters where the current ones are now and drop in the mids on the 2 sides. That is what @beatle did. I haven't done so, I am slowly making my way through upgrades.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out
Thank you and after much pondering and time for me to do an active 3 way setup or pay someone ($2k in labor), I decided to go the economic route and save my Focals for a future weekend/fun car.
I've decided not to touch the existing amp and only replace the front door and add a NVX subwoofer kit. I've purchased a 2 way Powerbass speaker for the front door ( since it's 2 Ohms for the tweeter and 6.5 "mid-woofer") from Crutchfield and NNV Boost sub from SonicElectronics(sp?). I'll do the install myself to save money and I might dynamat the front door while I am at it.

Reactions: brico84