Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it safe to drive with a disabled air compressor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My suspension air compressor is out and all the air has now leaked out. There is no suspension. It is ruff over the road. I have put a service order in, waiting to hear back. I want to know if it is safe to drive like this? I don't want to damage the car.

Cheers,
Machelle
There should be a “bumper” that prevents the suspension from lowering to a point where it would damage the vehicle.

But I’m not too familiar with the Tesla design.

I was fortunate enough to have my compressor disable while a mobile tech was present. He told me that it would be all the way down by the next morning and advised me to proactively call roadside and tell them it was "not drivable because the suspension was all the way down and wouldn't raise" in order to get it towed to the service center rather than waiting until the next morning. This implies to me that it shouldn't be driven that way, but he didn't state that directly.

I was fortunate enough to have my compressor disable while a mobile tech was present. He told me that it would be all the way down by the next morning and advised me to proactively call roadside and tell them it was "not drivable because the suspension was all the way down and wouldn't raise" in order to get it towed to the service center rather than waiting until the next morning. This implies to me that it shouldn't be driven that way, but he didn't state that directly.
Thank you, I'm hoping to hear back from them soon.

Hi there,

I am in a similar situation, did they happen to get back to you? Wondering if it is safe to drive to the service center with the air suspension compressor disabled. It's about a 30 minute drive and I need to take the highway.

There should be a “bumper” that prevents the suspension from lowering to a point where it would damage the vehicle.

But I’m not too familiar with the Tesla design.

1. It is NOT safe to drive. You will not have the proper contact patches as the road level changes between all 4 tires.
2. It will damage the suspension components if you're going anything faster than a few miles an hour.

You're fine moving it slowly in and in out of a driveway but that's about it.

Oh wow & I had this happen while I was out of state on a road trip. We drove 300 miles to get back home. & now I'm super afraid to drive anywhere at all. I've been using gf's Silverado to get to work! Augh!
The front is super low, (slammed). & the rear is like I'm about to go off-roading somewhere. No good.
I'm fearful that I broke more stuff while coming back home from California.