Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it safe to leave my model s overnight at the tire shop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long story short I ran over a screw and took my car into the shop right down the road from where I work when I got to work i double checked the tires and the one they plugged had deflated to 37psi (they checked all of them and inflated to 45 psi) also now the front driver side was at 20 psi (unbelievably I punctured 2 tires in the span of a couple hours) they said they can fix it first thing in the morning so I gave them the fob, put the car in valet mode and restricted the top speed to 50mph. Is there any other precautions I can take? Surely nobody would try and steal it but just to be safe

Long story short I ran over a screw and took my car into the shop right down the road from where I work when I got to work i double checked the tires and the one they plugged had deflated to 37psi (they checked all of them and inflated to 45 psi) also now the front driver side was at 20 psi (unbelievably I punctured 2 tires in the span of a couple hours) they said they can fix it first thing in the morning so I gave them the fob, put the car in valet mode and restricted the top speed to 50mph. Is there any other precautions I can take? Surely nobody would try and steal it but just to be safe

Did you call Tesla? Tesla would have sent a tow truck over and replaced your tire with a loaner, or towed your car to the service center. No charge. You might have to pay for the tire repair or replace. But no charge to deliver or tow.

Actually no need to call. Just use the smartphone app, Roadside assistance. They really are pretty quick

Did you call Tesla? Tesla would have sent a tow truck over and replaced your tire with a loaner, or towed your car to the service center. No charge. You might have to pay for the tire repair or replace. But no charge to deliver or tow.
I did not know that, all I've heard is people saying that tesla takes forever to repair things so I didnt even think to do that I'm new here and just got my car a couple months ago

I did not know that, all I've heard is people saying that tesla takes forever to repair things so I didnt even think to do that I'm new here and just got my car a couple months ago

Not at all. My experience with their roadside assistance was a email or text response within minutes. To which you can organize their response. They were prepared to come to my house immediately (flat in my driveway). But I put them off until the following morning.

i think you're over thinking it for no reason. at some point you need to have trust in shops to do their job. with that said, of course anything can happen at any given time
Your probably right but I cant help it leaving an 80k dollar car at a shop with people I dont know is a little scary but it's a chain tire shop so that eases my mind alot

What you did is easiest. No waiting for a tow or anything. Also some have reported Tesla tends towards selling tires instead of fixing. But could be bad info and just related to the location of the puncture.

1. If your paranoid, check the mileage (screenshot of the app).

2. Don’t panic if you see high energy use. They didn’t necessarily go hotrodding. The car will report climate and other use a accumulated during the sitting period over the initial miles driven

3. If they looked shady, keep the app open all night and watch the car location.

I wouldn’t worry at all.

Not at all. My experience with their roadside assistance was a email or text response within minutes. To which you can organize their response. They were prepared to come to my house immediately (flat in my driveway). But I put them off until the following morning.
Interesting, my gf tried to get ahold of them through the app when she had trouble removing the charging cable at the sc station maybe because I live in Chicago?

You do know you can see your car on your phone. If the shop knows this little gem, they won't be tempted to take it out, and you might tell them you are worried about car jackers, so would notify police if you see it driving anywhere you didn't approve. There's no need for them to "test drive" your car for a flat tire repair.

You do know you can see your car on your phone. If the shop knows this little gem, they won't be tempted to take it out, and you might tell them you are worried about car jackers, so would notify police if you see it driving anywhere you didn't approve. There's no need for them to "test drive" your car for a flat tire repair.
Obviously, I'm checking its location here and there and I valet mode enabled with speed restriction as low as it can go (50) they closed about 5 mins ago so I enabled sentry mode as well, I guess they'll call me if there working late and it keeps honking at them for getting to close lol

Nowadays you can't turn off the GPS tracker in the car unless you know the owners profile password for the Tesla account...so technically, even if it does "go missing" you can see where it is on the app on the phone and direct the local authorities to the vehicle's new location.

Generally you don't hear about Tesla's getting stolen in the US because they are pretty darn hard to take and keep. Last I read there was some insane recovery rate that was way above any other vehicle manufacturer. So that should address one of your concerns...and Sentry mode should address any other concerns.

For reference: Why it’s almost impossible to steal a Tesla (and get away with it)