TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Is it "safe" to lock a keycard inside the car?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by seafoodbuffet, Jul 12, 2018.

1. seafoodbuffet

seafoodbuffet New Member

Let me preface by saying I fully realize this isn't fully safe in that you've now made it possible for someone to have a key to your car and drive off with it.

That said:
    If you lend someone your car with a keycard, would the following work to get your card (and your keycard) back?

They drive somewhere and park the car, put the keycard inside the glovebox (or some other hidden place).
    I lock the car remotely using my phone app
    At some later time, I show up, unlock the car using my phone and drive off

Would this work? Beyond the risk of someone breaking into the car and finding the keycard and thus being able to drive off, since the keycard requires proximity to activate, it's presence in the car shouldn't prevent remote locking or things of that sort, right?

This is the equivalent of locking one set of keys in the car and arriving with another set to pick it up?

2. Garrett0606

Garrett0606 Member

I dont see why it wouldn’t work.

3. gregd

gregd Active Member

One subtle nuance to consider is what you do after you unlock the car. Both of our cars (Tesla Roadster and Honda CRV) will re-lock the car a short time (30 seconds?) if a door hasn't been opened. I can see how this could work the same with the keycard, but if you stand there with your phone, what happens?

4. miimura

miimura Active Member

Even if this behavior is present, I don't think it's a problem because the intended person is going to get in and either retrieve the key card or drive the car as soon as it's unlocked.

5. Big Dog

Big Dog Member

Except when it doesn't. (The phone is not 100% foolproof.)

6. gjunky

gjunky Waiting for the Model ☰

One more addition: Store the key card in the glove box before you leave and activate valet mode (does this work yet in a model 3). Should keep the glove box locked.

7. T3forMe

T3forMe Member

One thing you should never do is leave your smart phone in the charging area and walk away from your car. Not only will they be able to steal the car, but they will also get your phone as a bonus.

8. gregd

gregd Active Member

So, first off, I agree. Bad idea, especially these days.

BUT, what we were told when we picked up the car was that if you lock the car with the keycard, the phone's presence (with all radios on) inside the car will not prevent the car from locking, nor trigger the car to unlock spontaneously in the future.

True?

My wife was always leaving her purse in the car (trunk or other hidden place) when we went out, given that I had pockets for keys and she did not. Invariably her phone was in there, too.

Hmmm, additional thought... If the keycard were in her purse, and the purse were in the center console storage area, would it be close enough to the "back of the cup holders" hotspot to trigger an unlock?

9. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

Sure, but store it anywhere except the center console. Under the mat should work fine. You probably don't want to use glovebox, as you may actually turn valet on to keep the car from being abused.

10. AltLogic

AltLogic Member

You could have the person put the card in the glovebox, open all doors necessary for everyone to exit, push the lock icon on the screen and then fully close all doors. I tried this with mine today. The screen goes blank but the mirrors stay out.