Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it "safe" to lock a keycard inside the car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me preface by saying I fully realize this isn't fully safe in that you've now made it possible for someone to have a key to your car and drive off with it.

That said:
If you lend someone your car with a keycard, would the following work to get your card (and your keycard) back?

They drive somewhere and park the car, put the keycard inside the glovebox (or some other hidden place).
I lock the car remotely using my phone app
At some later time, I show up, unlock the car using my phone and drive off

Would this work? Beyond the risk of someone breaking into the car and finding the keycard and thus being able to drive off, since the keycard requires proximity to activate, it's presence in the car shouldn't prevent remote locking or things of that sort, right?

This is the equivalent of locking one set of keys in the car and arriving with another set to pick it up?

One subtle nuance to consider is what you do after you unlock the car. Both of our cars (Tesla Roadster and Honda CRV) will re-lock the car a short time (30 seconds?) if a door hasn't been opened. I can see how this could work the same with the keycard, but if you stand there with your phone, what happens?

One subtle nuance to consider is what you do after you unlock the car. Both of our cars (Tesla Roadster and Honda CRV) will re-lock the car a short time (30 seconds?) if a door hasn't been opened. I can see how this could work the same with the keycard, but if you stand there with your phone, what happens?
Even if this behavior is present, I don't think it's a problem because the intended person is going to get in and either retrieve the key card or drive the car as soon as it's unlocked.

One thing you should never do is leave your smart phone in the charging area and walk away from your car. Not only will they be able to steal the car, but they will also get your phone as a bonus.
So, first off, I agree. Bad idea, especially these days.

BUT, what we were told when we picked up the car was that if you lock the car with the keycard, the phone's presence (with all radios on) inside the car will not prevent the car from locking, nor trigger the car to unlock spontaneously in the future.

True?

My wife was always leaving her purse in the car (trunk or other hidden place) when we went out, given that I had pockets for keys and she did not. Invariably her phone was in there, too.

Hmmm, additional thought... If the keycard were in her purse, and the purse were in the center console storage area, would it be close enough to the "back of the cup holders" hotspot to trigger an unlock?

So as long as I can unlock it with my phone (or extra key card) once it has been locked (how would the car know if an extra key card is inside the car if not in the "start" area?) there shouldn't be any reason this wouldn't work.
I think I inadvertently did this once when I forgot a key card in the car - but I won't swear to it.
Does the car locking depend on a "key" being a certain distance or time away from the car or if I leave my car with my phone but turn off bluetooth will it not lock automaticaly (think I'll go test this)

So I just left my car after turning the phone bluetooth off while in the car. The car still self locked - how does it know to do this?

Last edited:
Let me preface by saying I fully realize this isn't fully safe in that you've now made it possible for someone to have a key to your car and drive off with it.

That said:
If you lend someone your car with a keycard, would the following work to get your card (and your keycard) back?

They drive somewhere and park the car, put the keycard inside the glovebox (or some other hidden place).
I lock the car remotely using my phone app
At some later time, I show up, unlock the car using my phone and drive off

Would this work? Beyond the risk of someone breaking into the car and finding the keycard and thus being able to drive off, since the keycard requires proximity to activate, it's presence in the car shouldn't prevent remote locking or things of that sort, right?

This is the equivalent of locking one set of keys in the car and arriving with another set to pick it up?
As an added measure of security when doing so, activate the 4-digit security pin.