Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it safe to reset center panel while driving ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anecdote...

In the HOV lane coming back from the airport (after picking someone up), I reset both the instrument cluster and the center 17" while auto-steer was active back in early AP1 days. I had some nervous passengers at that time, but no drama otherwise. :)

I think it is interesting that you asked if it is "safe" to do while driving rather than "possible". Of course the official answer for that from Tesla would be no.

Really? Do you have a link to Tesla's "official answer" on the issue?

It's perfectly safe to reboot both the MCU and IC while driving. No driving functions are effected.

People turn on or off their radio, HVAC or Nav in every other car while driving. It's no different. Sure, the current speed might disappear for a few seconds, but that's about the limit of effect it has on actual driving/safety. There's no need to pull over or test it out in a parking lot.

Really? Do you have a link to Tesla's "official answer" on the issue?

It's perfectly safe to reboot both the MCU and IC while driving. No driving functions are effected.

People turn on or off their radio, HVAC or Nav in every other car while driving. It's no different. Sure, the current speed might disappear for a few seconds, but that's about the limit of effect it has on actual driving/safety. There's no need to pull over or test it out in a parking lot.
The owners manual. It is a typical legalize statement on their part.
Screen Shot 2018-08-26 at 07.22.38.png

Yes. This is an essential aspect of the car, it must be able to drive even without working screens/software. Separation between drive and non-drive systems is an important security measure uncovered when people try to hack our cars. Taken from an article (Tesla Model S hacked: Researchers discover six security flaws in popular electric car):

"Manufacturers must separate infotainment systems and the critical drive systems, tightly controlling communication between them, just as commercial airliners isolate inflight Wi-Fi networks from critical avionics systems. If any gateway between them exists, it must be heavily secured. Otherwise you're effectively saying the iPhone connector and the brakes are of the same safety concern."

Reactions: JohnnyG and Ciaopec
Either display can be rebooted at any time. There's no issue with driving the car. It's thought that doing it while parked does a deeper kind of reboot, but in practice (and I've done it many times both ways over the past 5.5 years) it doesn't appear to make much difference in the final result.

The only thing interesting I've noticed is that while rebooting the center screen doesn't interfere with Autopilot (other than making the speed limit go away), rebooting the instrument cluster while on AP seems to cause a disengagement alarm.

Interesting, it doesn't do that on my AP1 although I've only done it a couple of times. I wonder if it always does on a ap2 cars?