Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it safe to street park a model 3 in the 400 block of Balboa St. in SF overnight?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't live in San Francisco and I am trying to decide what car to take for a one or two night trip. I'll be staying in the neighborhood just north of Golden Gate Park and just west of Arguello. Does anyone have an idea what the level of risk is in that area for an out-of-town newish model 3 parked overnight on the street? Thanks very much.

Golden Gate Park is a Mecca for window smashing grab and go vandals. Police will not arrest them, so they essentially have immunity.

Look around most tourist areas in SF and you will see broken glass all over the parking areas. Happens in broad daylight, as most citizens are afraid to deal with the thugs.

Taking another car will not insure your car windows safety. If they suspect you might have anything of value they will break the window just to take a look.

Tesla recommends you leave your rear seats folded down so the perps can see that their is nothing valuable inside, but they still might break your window for the heck of it.

As a SF resident, I can say that it’s really luck. I live just south of the park. It’s not like you’re guaranteed to have your window smashed in, even if there’s something visible. I’ve (stupidly) left tools in my SUV overnight and gotten lucky. Our SUV lives on the street every night, and it hasn’t been broken into in the three years we’ve owned it. A previous car was broken into once over 5 years. And we live on a busy street that sees a lot of shady characters. Our Model 3 lives in the garage, but there are plenty in the area that live on the street.

So yes, it could happen, but you’ll help yourself out by not leaving anything visible and even folding down the seats if possible. There are plenty of street-parked Teslas in both my neighborhood and the one you’ll be in and they don’t have their windows smashed every morning.

Reactions: MaryAnning3
Thanks a lot, all. I think I will take the old Accord. I'd much rather have a window smashed on that car.

For future reference, are there any garages that are actually secure where you could pay to park overnight and then take a Lyft to your actual destination?

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
Thanks a lot, all. I think I will take the old Accord. I'd much rather have a window smashed on that car.

For future reference, are there any garages that are actually secure where you could pay to park overnight and then take a Lyft to your actual destination?

I am a big fan of the SpotHero app to look up what's available in the area I will be at even if I don't use them that day. They have negotiated rates too so it's totally worth it in general though.

You can use this link and we each get $7 off our next reservation =>
Register for SpotHero Account
cleardot.gif

(I am not cheap, I am "efficient with money"...or so my wife says...)

Last edited:
Break in risk goes down a lot outside of the SF tourist areas and a few other know hot spots. I think you would be fine but of course leave nothing in trunk and leave the back seats down. I live in a different neighborhood in SF but similar and there are 4 Model 3's and an S within four blocks of me that park on the street. Lots of Audi's and BMWs too and my hood has not experienced unusual break in activity. Its the city so risk is never zero.

I don't live in San Francisco and I am trying to decide what car to take for a one or two night trip. I'll be staying in the neighborhood just north of Golden Gate Park and just west of Arguello. Does anyone have an idea what the level of risk is in that area for an out-of-town newish model 3 parked overnight on the street? Thanks very much.

You may find this useful:
The San Francisco Car Break-In Tracker