Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it safe to use this for noise reduction?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I came across this and thought I could use it on the roof to reduce wind noise. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Attachments

• 20181228_151815.jpg
    20181228_151815.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 278
I’ll second the recommendation to NOT use that.

There are some people that are using small rubber tubing to put in the gaps. Easy to install and easy to remove.

Above all, if you are having excessive wind noise or missing components, contact Tesla.

I'm really curious as to if/how much this actually reduces wind noise, and in what circumstances. The RPM product looks like a simple tube thing, kinda similar to the adhesive gaskets you can put around windows/doors to create a better seal around the house. Something I might be able to find at Home Depot for a fraction of the cost.

Looking at the gaps in the roof glass, my gaps are 1/8" between the front windshield and front roof, and 1/4" between the front roof and rear windshield. I don't notice any wind noise from the roof at local driving speeds. On the highway, I think I hear some wind noise from what sounds like the front sides (driver and passenger) - this may be from the side view mirrors. Can't tell. Gaps are similar to my Model X, in which I also do not notice any significant wind noise.

I don't feel my glass or panel gaps are much different/worse than cars of other makes. Given that these gaps appear similar between my Teslas and other cars, and gap size is not that much different from my other panel gaps, I'm skeptical about how much difference this "upgrade" makes, but would like to hear arguments otherwise. Will probably run out to HD later today to see if they have something... Willing to shell out a couple bucks for experimentation.

I'm really curious as to if/how much this actually reduces wind noise, and in what circumstances. The RPM product looks like a simple tube thing, kinda similar to the adhesive gaskets you can put around windows/doors to create a better seal around the house. Something I might be able to find at Home Depot for a fraction of the cost.

Looking at the gaps in the roof glass, my gaps are 1/8" between the front windshield and front roof, and 1/4" between the front roof and rear windshield. I don't notice any wind noise from the roof at local driving speeds. On the highway, I think I hear some wind noise from what sounds like the front sides (driver and passenger) - this may be from the side view mirrors. Can't tell. Gaps are similar to my Model X, in which I also do not notice any significant wind noise.

I don't feel my glass or panel gaps are much different/worse than cars of other makes. Given that these gaps appear similar between my Teslas and other cars, and gap size is not that much different from my other panel gaps, I'm skeptical about how much difference this "upgrade" makes, but would like to hear arguments otherwise. Will probably run out to HD later today to see if they have something... Willing to shell out a couple bucks for experimentation.

I finally got around to testing this and I wasn't too impressed. I couldn't measure or hear a difference really.

• Informative
Reactions: Roentgen