Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it smart to buy FSD for $5k while it’s still available for MX owners?

Purchasing FSD now?

• I am purchasing FSD while I can!

Votes: 37 46.8%
  • I am taking my chances.

Votes: 42 53.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As of 7:50 am pst my mytesla page still shows ability to buy FSD for $5k. There is mad discussions going on on M3 forums about Tesla pulling FSD from M3s and new orders. Who here thinks it’s smart to purchase FSD for $5k now and ensure free HW3 upgrade in the future or take a chances on future FSD prices increases?

Smart isn’t relevant to the decision. Donate to the Tesla dream. You will feel better if you do.

As for the dreamers who already donated and now believe they will have saved money when the eventual price is a kazillion dollars, that’s definitely what will happen. You should feel very smug.

Poor foolish me for not seeing the future.

Last edited:
Price increase is just a speculation. Elon tweeted that they will replace the chip for free for customer already purchased FSD, no other replacement parts needed as the sensor will remain unchanged. I think it comes down to if you have the cash to spend now or later.

I don’t agree with you on this point. As FSD gets closer they most certainly will hike up the price- ?$7500, $10,000? It could be a smart financial decision to purchase now.

Smart isn’t relevant to the decision. Donate to the Tesla dream. You will feel better if you do.

As for the dreamers who already donated and now believe they will have saved money when the eventual price is a kazillion dollars, that’s definitely what will happen. You should feel very smug.

Poor foolish me for not seeing the future.

As of 7:50 am pst my mytesla page still shows ability to buy FSD for $5k. There is mad discussions going on on M3 forums about Tesla pulling FSD from M3s and new orders. Who here thinks it’s smart to purchase FSD for $5k now and ensure free HW3 upgrade in the future or take a chances on future FSD prices increases?

Depends how long you intend to keep your car and whether you think token gesture FSD features might be worth that sort of money. Personally I don't see any point in paying $5K for something that may not happen in the next X years. The price may well go up, but ultimately it will have to be sensible money otherwise very few people will buy it.

I bought it last month since they would honor the $4k upgrade fee from when I purchased. I only did it because they said they would upgrade the hardware as necessary. Otherwise no.

My local service center said this isn’t a thing. Who did you call to get the original 4K price? I got my X in 2017.

Frustrating that some are getting this original price and others are not.

Reactions: dogldogl
My local service center said this isn’t a thing. Who did you call to get the original 4K price? I got my X in 2017.

I have it in an email from Tesla that the original advertised upgrade price will be honored, no matter when the owner upgrades. The online system; however, does not reflect various upgrade prices. As a result, the purchase is always at the currently displayed price and some weeks later the difference is credited to the card used for the purchase.

The face that you can't buy FSD now on the site when ordering a new car shows how far off it is. I'd definitely wait on it anyway until the next iteration or more of hardware flushes out, regulations (if don't require more hardware/software needs), etc. I'd say it is about 5 years out at best.

I have it in an email from Tesla that the original advertised upgrade price will be honored, no matter when the owner upgrades. The online system; however, does not reflect various upgrade prices. As a result, the purchase is always at the currently displayed price and some weeks later the difference is credited to the card used for the purchase.

Email from my OA says exactly this.

Also, when FSD is a reality, it will probably be a $10k upgrade because it will be worth it. As long as they honor the fact that we purchased it, I'm fine with letting them hold my money.

FSD is likely being pulled as an option for one of the following reasons:

1) Tesla is losing confidence in its ability to deliver on FSD, and wants to limit the number of upset customers
2) Tesla wants to roll out FSD slowly, and they have enough early testers already “signed up”
3) Tesla realizes that major hardware upgrades are necessary, and $3K is not enough to cover the upgrades
4) Tesla thinks that they can charge a lot more for FSD, but they can’t do so until they actually have something released, or at least until they have a better roadmap released

Depending on which scenario you believe, the answer to your question can be either yes or no.

I personally have trouble that Musk would be willing to give up, so I think scenario (1) is the least likely, but other than that, I have no idea where FSD is headed. My only concern (having already paid for it on my car I picked up 5 days ago) is that if they are not selling it, and if they are cash-strapped, they may not be prioritizing its development for now.

Tesla increases price of its ‘Full Self-Driving Capability’ over-the-air update

To this day, there is still no difference between the package described above and Tesla’s Enhanced Autopilot package.

Current owners of Model S and Model X with Autopilot 2.0 have reported to Electrek that they are now also seeing the price of the upgrade increase.

We contacted Tesla to get an explanation about the situation and the company confirmed that it isn’t supposed to apply to existing vehicles and they will honor the original $4,000 price. The new $5,000 price is for new orders.

Tesla increases price of its ‘Full Self-Driving Capability’ over-the-air update

To this day, there is still no difference between the package described above and Tesla’s Enhanced Autopilot package.

Current owners of Model S and Model X with Autopilot 2.0 have reported to Electrek that they are now also seeing the price of the upgrade increase.

We contacted Tesla to get an explanation about the situation and the company confirmed that it isn’t supposed to apply to existing vehicles and they will honor the original $4,000 price. The new $5,000 price is for new orders.

This article is 2 months old...