TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Is it Standard, or Performance?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by coinneach, Dec 4, 2019.

1. coinneach

coinneach Member

So, despite my previous experience buying a used MS from a legacy dealer, I'm looking to repeat my mistake with a different car and dealer. The question is, the car I'm looking at (a 2015 MS 85) is listed by the dealer as a standard model, but my insurance quotes it as a Performance model based on the VIN. The decoder on Teslatap shows this:

1 = Single Motor - Three Phase A/C Induction
    (Standard or Performance prior to 1-Aug-2015;
    Standard only starting 1-Aug-2015)

I don't have the car's build date, and I can't get Tesla's support chat to work. Anyone know how I can determine whether this particular car is Standard or Performance, and if the former, how do I prove that to USAA?

2. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

If it is a 2015 and not AWD, it is not a performance model. That wasn't a valid configuration in 2015.

• Like x 2
  3. jmaddr

jmaddr Member

Isn’t the build date on the drivers door jamb? Get them to send you a picture of it. It should also have the VIN in the same spot. I also think the VIN may have the build month and year embedded.

4. coinneach

coinneach Member

Good stuff, thanks.

5. glide

glide Active Member

Is the 12th digit of the vin a “P”

Are you not able to see the hatch or dash to see the badging in any of the photos?

6. coinneach

coinneach Member

The one photo I have of the hatch has a glare on the right side, so it's obscured. The MCU just shows 85, not P85. The driver's door handle is broken (supposedly being addressed by the dealer, along with a dying 12V, before I move ahead with the deal) so I haven't verified the jamb sticker.

7. glide

glide Active Member

If the MCU just says 85 that’s not a Performance model.

8. coinneach

coinneach Member

That's what I told USAA, and the rear badge is just 85. Apparently Tesla screwed up submitting the VIN to the IIHS database, which USAA can't override no matter what proof I give them. Any idea who I need to yell at, and how to reach them? The "contact us" page is completely useless.

9. coinneach

coinneach Member

So I pinged Tesla on Failbook, asking how we can correct this error. No reply. I also dropped an email to IIHS, but they're closed on the weekends. In the meantime, USAA is charging me the Performance premium and will refund me when it's straightened out.

I did take delivery of the car after the dealer offered to help out with the cost to repair the door and replace the battery. Ranger is coming out on the 20th. So far it's running fine and AP works flawlessly.

10. glide

glide Active Member

Schedule a service appointment through the app. That’s the only way you’ll ever be able to speak with anyone.

11. trm2

trm2 Member

It could be an issue with USAA. Take the VIN and get an online quote from another company or two, see what they translate the VIN as.

12. IslandHydro

IslandHydro Member

Curious, how much of an increase was there for the performance version?

13. Evoforce

Evoforce Active Member

USAA is at fault on this one...

14. ChrisRob

ChrisRob Member

I have the same issue wtih USAA and my s85 please update if you find a solution. I was also told that the vin database has my car listed as a P...