Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it time to get rid of my Model 3 Performance Stealth?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in a bit of a pickle.

Ever since I bought my Model 3 last year my wife has been nagging me on why I didn't buy a Model S instead. She liked the Model S better, while I liked saving the money (and having newer technology).

I "accidentally" submitted a Tesla quote for trade-in for my 2019 Model 3 Stealth Performance (w/14k kms). I wasn't expecting a response offering almost $71k CDN (before taxes) for the car.

Is it time to trade-in and get a 2020/2021 Model S? I'm worried about buying an older tech car. Is the next generation update just around the corner?

I will miss the power and acceleration but truthfully the Model 3P is already feeling slow (maybe I should get a MSP :))

Appreciate opinions, especially if you've have a Model S or have gone to/from a Model 3.

I'm in a bit of a pickle.
Ever since I bought my Model 3 last year my wife has been nagging me on why I didn't buy a Model S instead.
She liked the Model S better, while I liked saving the money (and having newer technology).
I "accidentally" submitted a Tesla quote for trade-in for my 2019 Model 3 Stealth Performance (w/14k kms).
I wasn't expecting a response offering almost $71k CDN (before taxes) for the car.
Is it time to trade-in and get a 2020/2021 Model S? I'm worried about buying an older tech car.
Is the next generation update just around the corner?
I will miss the power and acceleration but truthfully the Model 3P is already feeling slow (maybe I should get a MSP :))
Appreciate opinions, especially if you've have a Model S or have gone to/from a Model 3.

Depreciation: ~ 4k CDN or ( - 5% ) Quite impressive !!!

$_74,900 CDN - Model 3 - Performance

$105,990 CDN - Model S - LR 19"

Thankfully, I've got a bit of time to figure out which way I'm going since my S lease doesn't finish until next May. I'm going to miss the sunroof, but am on the fence between costs of the Model S vs X vs Y. Test drives of the refreshes will be necessary, but right now the difference between the S and our Y puts me square on the fence. The Y feels sportier, more compact so it's easier to get around the city, is easier to park and has equal storage as the S (along with the added bonus of a hitch on the Y). The range on the S is better and it's a more comfortable ride overall. I want to see the differences with the Raven suspension along with (hopefully) what Battery Day might introduce with the Plaid. I won't go for the full-out Plaid version because of the cost, but if the refresh has enough beneficial changes it may sway me. Having kids that are growing up makes me want to look at the X for maximum comfort and cargo capacity (pack rats) for going on trips.

We'll see. Smart idea to wait on the fence until announcements on Tuesday. I hope that the announcements aren't going to become reality long thereafter.

Thankfully, I've got a bit of time to figure out which way I'm going since my S lease doesn't finish until next May. I'm going to miss the sunroof, but am on the fence between costs of the Model S vs X vs Y. Test drives of the refreshes will be necessary, but right now the difference between the S and our Y puts me square on the fence. The Y feels sportier, more compact so it's easier to get around the city, is easier to park and has equal storage as the S (along with the added bonus of a hitch on the Y). The range on the S is better and it's a more comfortable ride overall. I want to see the differences with the Raven suspension along with (hopefully) what Battery Day might introduce with the Plaid. I won't go for the full-out Plaid version because of the cost, but if the refresh has enough beneficial changes it may sway me. Having kids that are growing up makes me want to look at the X for maximum comfort and cargo capacity (pack rats) for going on trips.

We'll see. Smart idea to wait on the fence until announcements on Tuesday. I hope that the announcements aren't going to become reality long thereafter.

The S needs a complete redesign. Basically the same car as 2012. No automaker can do this and expect sales to continue. Reminds me of the Chrysler PT cruiser. A car in hot demand when released and never really redesigned until it's painful death as a joke of a car.

• Disagree
Reactions: Murky-Article
The S needs a complete redesign. Basically the same car as 2012. No automaker can do this and expect sales to continue. Reminds me of the Chrysler PT cruiser. A car in hot demand when released and never really redesigned until it's painful death as a joke of a car.

Why does it need a complete redesign? It's gone through quite a number of changes over the years, including new front end, enhancements throughout the interior, upgraded parts - motors, battery packs, seats, suspension, etc. Take a 2012 and compare it to a 2020 and I'm sure you'll see that there's a lot of improvements already. Heck, while my S was in for servicing I had a 2015 P85 loaner - miles of differences. It's already the amongst the most advanced structures around. I can see some redesign is needed, but I fail to see what a complete redesign does - all the other Teslas have worked off of this design architecture and the rest of the industry is still behind. What I do see, though, is that Tesla has to make the S and X more advanced than the 3/Y and keep it that way going into the future. S/X sales have slipped because in some ways the 3/Y have become the technological leaders for Tesla. Let's wait and see what comes out of Battery Day tomorrow.

Besides, look at how "industry leaders" such as BMW have evolved - their cars just keep getting uglier all the time while their build quality keeps declining.