TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Is it too late to order now and receive the $7500 tax credit?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by hydro 481, Jul 27, 2018.

1. hydro 481

hydro 481 Member

From what I understand, the full $7500 tax credit is only good till Dec 31 of this year. Tesla website states 2-4 month for delivery on non-performance AWD models. What are my chances of receiving the car before Dec 31? I live in San Diego, CA. My configuration: midnight silver metallic, white interior, enhanced AP

2. cbutters

cbutters Member

I'd say if you order today you'd have a good chance. RWD seems like they deliver almost immediately; but AWD still likely you'd get delivered before Dec 31st if you ordered now.

• Like x 2
  3. C141medic

C141medic Supporting Member

I ordered AWD this past Wednesday. Salesperson “guaranteed” I’d get it before the end of the year (taken with a grain of salt). Here’s hoping .

4. AmishEV

AmishEV Member

I have to admit to being a bit skeptical of that timeline - but sure hoping I'm wrong! Here's to you enjoying an AWD before New Years!

• Like x 1
  5. jdmasters

jdmasters Member

I would go RWD to get into the window.

• Like x 1
  6. hydro 481

hydro 481 Member

The salesperson I spoke to said the same thing. They always tell me what I want to hear it seems LOL. I wish the $2500 deposit was refundable if they missed the estimated delivery timeframe.

7. C141medic

C141medic Supporting Member

I was wondering if the deposit would be refundable if they missed the timeframe for delivery?

8. animorph

animorph Active Member

I think you could order in August and still be pretty safe. Maybe as late as October if there are a large number of Short Range holdouts. For a Performance model October might be even more realistic.

If you're thinking RWD with white interior I might wait a month before forcing a decision. But we (my wife that is) didn't wait. We have estimated delivery of Sep-Nov for AWD with white interior. If that's an accurate estimate and white is offered for RWD within the next month then your August order might show Oct-Dec delivery. Should be OK, Tesla should be trying to deliver lots of cars before January, but you have a little uncertainty getting that close to the end of the full tax credit. My wife was seeing it as AWD for $4k with $7500 tax credit this year or RWD with $3750 tax credit in early 2019. That looks like a cost of $250 for AWD, which was a no-brainer at that point. Her other possibility was a Short Range in (mid?) 2019, with reduced tax credit. But that could be a year away. So AWD for us.

9. animorph

animorph Active Member

I've never heard of that happening.

10. Zidarich

Zidarich Member

I was told by my local Tesla dealer that you can cancel your reservation anytime and put the $2,500 towards a different car. So if I don’t see mine by the beginning of December, I’m likely to do that.

• Informative x 1
  11. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

After the first of the year, you will still be eligible for 50% of the full tax credit, so it is only a loss of $3750.

12. Knightshade

Knightshade Active Member

Yup- $3750 through June 30 2019, then $1875 through Dec 31 2019, only then does it drop to $0.

13. boriszima

boriszima Member

Likely it will be cutting it close, would be good for Tesla to "guarantee" delivery before December 31, 2018. Based on limited info on this forums RWD and P-AWD is best bet.

14. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

Be careful relying on that, the Model 3 order agreement states the $2,500 is refundable only until there is a vehicle matched to the order (VIN number assignment?).
    https://3.tesla.com/assets/pdf/model3_order_agreement_en_US.pdf

• Informative x 1
  15. Zidarich

Zidarich Member

VERY helpful information, thank you. What’s been the average turn around time from receiving a VIN to getting delivery of the car?

Would be helpful to know that then, because if we haven’t gotten our VINs by a certain date, it may be a smart idea to cancel.

16. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

It is very variable...
    Is the $3,750 change in credit for H2 2018 vs H1 2019 a make or break for you? Or would you drop to a later delivery SR or such?

17. pobudz

pobudz Member

I had a friend order a LR RWD (without reservation) less than a month ago (July 6). His car is ready for delivery pending financing as of Friday.

18. Zidarich

Zidarich Member

The only reason I’m doing the LR + Premium is because I can take advantage of the full $7,500. If Thanksgiving rolls around and still no word (Tesla is saying Sept-Nov delivery), I’d just cancel and use the $2,500 towards the SR.

With how quick everyone is getting their cars, I don’t anticipate this being the case, but I want to be prepared just in case.

• Helpful x 1
  19. Zidarich

Zidarich Member

Same - I don’t think the reservations matter much anymore with the LR.

What state is he is?

20. pobudz

pobudz Member

Arizona