Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it too late to order now and receive the $7500 tax credit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

hydro 481

Sep 4, 2017
USA
From what I understand, the full $7500 tax credit is only good till Dec 31 of this year. Tesla website states 2-4 month for delivery on non-performance AWD models. What are my chances of receiving the car before Dec 31? I live in San Diego, CA. My configuration: midnight silver metallic, white interior, enhanced AP

I ordered AWD this past Wednesday. Salesperson “guaranteed” I’d get it before the end of the year (taken with a grain of salt). Here’s hoping .
The salesperson I spoke to said the same thing. They always tell me what I want to hear it seems LOL. I wish the $2500 deposit was refundable if they missed the estimated delivery timeframe.

I think you could order in August and still be pretty safe. Maybe as late as October if there are a large number of Short Range holdouts. For a Performance model October might be even more realistic.

If you're thinking RWD with white interior I might wait a month before forcing a decision. But we (my wife that is) didn't wait. We have estimated delivery of Sep-Nov for AWD with white interior. If that's an accurate estimate and white is offered for RWD within the next month then your August order might show Oct-Dec delivery. Should be OK, Tesla should be trying to deliver lots of cars before January, but you have a little uncertainty getting that close to the end of the full tax credit. My wife was seeing it as AWD for $4k with $7500 tax credit this year or RWD with $3750 tax credit in early 2019. That looks like a cost of $250 for AWD, which was a no-brainer at that point. Her other possibility was a Short Range in (mid?) 2019, with reduced tax credit. But that could be a year away. So AWD for us.

From what I understand, the full $7500 tax credit is only good till Dec 31 of this year. Tesla website states 2-4 month for delivery on non-performance AWD models. What are my chances of receiving the car before Dec 31? I live in San Diego, CA. My configuration: midnight silver metallic, white interior, enhanced AP

After the first of the year, you will still be eligible for 50% of the full tax credit, so it is only a loss of $3750.

I was told by my local Tesla dealer that you can cancel your reservation anytime and put the $2,500 towards a different car.

Be careful relying on that, the Model 3 order agreement states the $2,500 is refundable only until there is a vehicle matched to the order (VIN number assignment?).
https://3.tesla.com/assets/pdf/model3_order_agreement_en_US.pdf

Your Order Payment is fully refundable only until your order is matched to a Vehicle, at which point it becomes nonrefundable.
If you cancel or default in this Agreement after your order is matched to a Vehicle, you will not be refunded your Order Payment as it has already been earned by us in taking and processing your order and preparing your Vehicle for delivery.

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic
Be careful relying on that, the Model 3 order agreement states the $2,500 is refundable only until there is a vehicle matched to the order (VIN number assignment?).
https://3.tesla.com/assets/pdf/model3_order_agreement_en_US.pdf

VERY helpful information, thank you. What’s been the average turn around time from receiving a VIN to getting delivery of the car?

Would be helpful to know that then, because if we haven’t gotten our VINs by a certain date, it may be a smart idea to cancel.

VERY helpful information, thank you. What’s been the average turn around time from receiving a VIN to getting delivery of the car?

Would be helpful to know that then, because if we haven’t gotten our VINs by a certain date, it may be a smart idea to cancel.
It is very variable...
Is the $3,750 change in credit for H2 2018 vs H1 2019 a make or break for you? Or would you drop to a later delivery SR or such?

It is very variable...
Is the $3,750 change in credit for H2 2018 vs H1 2019 a make or break for you? Or would you drop to a later delivery SR or such?

The only reason I’m doing the LR + Premium is because I can take advantage of the full $7,500. If Thanksgiving rolls around and still no word (Tesla is saying Sept-Nov delivery), I’d just cancel and use the $2,500 towards the SR.

With how quick everyone is getting their cars, I don’t anticipate this being the case, but I want to be prepared just in case.

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo