Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it too soon or too late to ask about a front lic. plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The whole idea of licensee plates is so 19th century. Cars should be equipped with RFID chips that can be read by police and public using smartphone. But then, what will happen to all those vanity plates?

the Horror the horror, in your best Marlon Brando voice:frown:
Thing is, you're right about all that, but I can't see 50 states (and all the jurisdictions within them) having their acts together enough to coordinate such a thing, like ever.

Did you get those tickets while parked, or where you pulled over? If when parked, less of a big deal. Getting pulled over when you have to be somewhere in time, that wouldn't be worth it to me.

In Los Angeles they don't bother pulling you over for that. I got the tickets while parked. I will say if you are in a place where they stop you for stuff like that I would just add the license plate because I agree that could be a hassle. When I visit my family in Ohio you can't do a thing wrong. They look for any reason to pull you over there... In the Mid West its rental cars and 5 over the speed limit for me. When I get back to LA its back to the race track... lol

In Los Angeles they don't bother pulling you over for that. I got the tickets while parked...
While I avoid mounting the front plate, in California, to avoid the real heavy penalties, make sure to mount those DMV HOV stickers on the back bumper. If you think that your Tesla status gives you the right to drive in the HOV lanes without the stickers, get ready to pay.

Model X was well designed with plenty of space in all three locations on the non-painted plastic lower bumper to attach the stickers. It will require getting the DMV license plate before sending the $8 for the stickers. More waiting...no surprises there. It's one of the reasons I held onto the Model S.

And while we are on the HOV topic, don't forget that ZEV vehicles get a discount if you order a FasTrak® through the 91 Express Lanes "Special Access" account. Most travel on the 91 Express Lanes is free and there are no monthly fees for the transponder. Great deal. https://www.91expresslanes.com/signup.asp

Click the "Download Application" after you get your California DMV registration form. It's a manual process that needs to be mailed in with a copy of the DMV registration, but well worth the effort. No discounts or free travel occur when driving The Toll Roads®. It's a great way to relax and avoid the dreaded One-Time-Toll®.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Roentgen
While I avoid mounting the front plate, in California, to avoid the real heavy penalties, make sure to mount those DMV HOV stickers on the back bumper. If you think that your Tesla status gives you the right to drive in the HOV lanes without the stickers, get ready to pay.

I put only one HOV sticker on the bumper. I personally hate too many stickers... I keep the rest in the glove compartment ready to stick on if a cop gives me crap about it. I have gone three years with no problems. I will say I don't drive as much as some people though...

I put only one HOV sticker on the bumper. I keep the rest in the glove compartment ready to stick on if a cop gives me crap about it. I have gone three years with no problems. I will say I don't drive as much as some people though...
I've seen other vehicles with only one sticker as well. Those police officers make an attempt to see the stickers. I have been waved over with all three when it is difficult for them to see any of them, but as soon as they see the stickers, I'm good to go immediately. The three stickers makes it much easier for the officers to see that you are in compliance.

I wouldn't doubt that an officer someday might stop a single sticker vehicle on the possibility that the other two stickers are mounted on other cars. The stickers don't bother me because a future owner can remove them with no damage to the vehicle. I cannot say the same with holes drilled in the front of the Model S or Model X.

Bonnie just posted a great answer on another thread. Here is the link: Carpool w/OUT Horrible HOV Stickers - Page 2

Last edited:
I've heard that some states allow you to get a dispensation if the car is not delivered with a front-plate holder installed. But I haven't found anything about this for NY state. My current car is still old enough to have the nicer looking white NY plates and I'm thinking a new orange NY plate might not look so nice on the front of my Blue X. I think there may be some custom plate options available though, so I'm going to check those out. With a 90D order, I still have some time before I need to worry about it.

Also, for those with custom plates (preferably in NY), is it easy enough to transfer from one car to another? I thought about getting GREENSUV which would apply to both my current and future car, but it's not my first choice.

-CB

Ooh, this is pretty cool... Although some might thing I am actually Elon Musk (how many times has be gotten divorced from Talulah again?) .

luv-my-x-ny-blue.jpg

But if you do the custom "picture plates" in NY, you're capped at 6 characters whereas the standard plates can go up to 8 characters. This one is 6 but my first choice is 8... Decisions, decisions...

I did the do-it-yourself magnetic license plate mounting. http://teslatap.com/modifications/magnetic-front-license-plate/ It works GREAT. I upgraded the magnets to ones a little stronger and I have used it on the expressway at 80+ MPH without any concerns about losing it. I park at a train station daily that is regularly patrolled by the police and they will ticket you every day if you are missing the front plate.

Having he magnetic plate is great because I can remove it on weekends and whenever I wash the car. If for no other reason, get it for washing your car.

I hope you don't hit any big bumps, or you may discover that inertia, force, and gravity can overcome magnetism quite easily :wink:

Also, doesn't anybody realize that putting a license plate on the front with magnets looks exactly the same as drilling holes, and increases drag just as much (i.e., barely)? What's the point?!?

The only reason not to drill is if anyone has definitively proven that putting on the front license plate affects the AutoPilot system (or whatever sensor is in that location on the bumper). But it seems like Tesla would have thought of that...

I just came across this thread so figured I'd contribute the one random sighting photo I've seen with a front plate, cropped and lightened a bit to make the plate mounting more visible. Try to overlook the hideous orange. [emoji4]View attachment 109765

@Mark Z, how many holes must be drilled to mount it in its standard place?

FWIW, Just before raising my MX, I wrote a letter to th state of Washington asking for a variance. I had been told that if no plate holder was available, the variance was possible. At the time, I was not aware of any front mounting plate from Tesla. Low and behold when I picked up the MX the was a front plate holder in the frunk. (Pictured earlier in another post). I received a reply from the state saying that they had contacted Tesla and the part is available and provided in the state of Washington. So..... Variance denied. Haven't decided what I'm going to do yet. I think the front plate looks terrible. I'll be looking for options.

Here's my solution for the front plate on Model S. It works so well. I put it on if I'm street parked. I only drive with it at LAX, where they have been known to pull you over for no front plate.

For Model X, I don't know how difficult it is to get behind the front fascia to glue the magnets. Anyone know?

FWIW, Just before raising my MX, I wrote a letter to th state of Washington asking for a variance. I had been told that if no plate holder was available, the variance was possible. At the time, I was not aware of any front mounting plate from Tesla. Low and behold when I picked up the MX the was a front plate holder in the frunk. (Pictured earlier in another post). I received a reply from the state saying that they had contacted Tesla and the part is available and provided in the state of Washington. So..... Variance denied. Haven't decided what I'm going to do yet. I think the front plate looks terrible. I'll be looking for options.

If you look around at Model Ss while driving around WA, you'll notice the majority don't have a front plate...just sayin'...

...@Mark Z, how many holes must be drilled to mount it in its standard place?
Three holes.

Two are in alignment and nicely spaced where the front sensors are. The third screw is dead center and drilled into the slanted plastic under the front flat plastic. This photo shows where the holes would be if this was mounted. The three mounting screws are in the larger recessed areas at the bottom half of the front plate holder.

IMG_2113.jpg

The four small holes are where the license plate would be mounted. No screws would be used in the three small recessed areas at the top of the front plate holder. The holder does not touch the paint at the top of the front plate holder.

This photo was retouched in the red paint area to eliminate reflections. The plastic handle at the bottom was used to temporarly hold the front plate holder for the photo.

At the Service Center, we agreed it would be an excellent design for Tesla Motors to have removable caps where permanent holes would be so the plate holder could be removed in the future and the caps replaced to return the vehicle to a no-plate look. IMHO, Tesla has an acceptable design to minimize the number of holes needed for the front plate holder. Another topic discussed at the SC is how some owners have used the tow hook threads to have a plate mounted on the lower driver side. Hopefully we will see approved third party mounting options in the future.

Last edited:
Another topic discussed at the SC is how some owners have used the tow hook threads to have a plate mounted on the lower driver side. Hopefully we will see approved third party mounting options in the future.

I was wondering about that the other day, does the X have a screw in tow hook in the front? If so is there a reaso that is not used ? Could one be made that did not block any sensors?