Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it too soon or too late to ask about a front lic. plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering about that the other day, does the X have a screw in tow hook in the front? If so is there a reason that is not used? Could one be made that did not block any sensors?
The reason it would not be used is because Tesla has designed and built an effective front license plate holder and has hidden the tow hook connector behind a plastic cover plate. Most customers would not want to leave the tow hook cover plate disconnected.

If the tow hook connection was used, the license plate would have to be lower than the sensor on that side. As you can see in the photo, that would bring the plate bottom below the lower front bumper. The tow hook is on the far right side of the lower air opening shown on the photo. In other words, the tow hook is on the driver's side above the lower front bumper and below the parking sensor.

There is another option for temporary license plate placement while the vehicle is parked. It involves placing a flat object on top of the lower front bumper into the plastic grill. The plate would be mounted onto the flat object. Third party companies should have some great solutions. The difficulty with any non-Tesla solution is possible damage to the vehicle or the loss of the license plate using less than secure methods if one forgets to remove the temporary mounting before driving away.

porscheplate.jpg

Nice and elegant design. I can't tell the relative height of the plate and bumper, but the one concern I would have is that it appears that there is a bumper ultrasonic sensor that may be obstructed (if you draw 2 vertical lines in that photo of the 2 right bolts holding the plate in, the sensor would be in between these lines. I don't think it would be too big a deal with a Porsche, but Tesla seems to have a bigger reliance on it's sensors that other car manufacturers.

This is the one I'm getting! Remote control hide away plate!! Check it out... Can't wait...

I was looking into that, I won't initially get a license plate installed but if I get pulled over for a fix it, I will get one of the flip down hide away mounts installed. Please keep us posted if you get it. I wonder how it will be wired and mounted