Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it true CHAdeMO adapter can damage Roadster battery pack?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you clarify what you bought? Did you buy Tesla's CHAdeMO to model S/3/X/Y adapter?
( I saw your other post here: Anyone care to explain CHAdeMO )
But now you are talking about original Roadster which is a whole different story.
Tesla doesn't support any kind of CHAdeMO charging on the old (2008-2012) Roadster.
But there is a 3rd party (aftermarket) CHAdeMO kit:
CHAdeMo charging for Tesla Roadster

Did you get that too?

Note, Tesla's CHAdeMO adapter for S/3/X/Y won't work with the old Roadster at all.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Hi TEG,

Hope you're well.

Not sure if you realize that I have 2 Teslas. I am certain that you're aware they have two very different batteries TEG.

Two vehicles with 2 separate questions in 2 different forums.

I bought the CHAdeMO ADAPTER for the Model X, but that has NOTHING to do with the CHAdeMO CHARGER I purchased from California for my Roadster.

OK, that clears it up. I knew you had both cars, but I wasn't sure if you mistakenly thought that the X adapter would work on your Roadster too.

I think the Roadster "JdeMO" CHAdeMO adapter is rare enough that there may not be enough good data to make a verdict if it harms the battery or not.
Since Tesla themselves doesn't sell or service that device, it would be easy for them to dismiss it as a possible problem.
Lots of auto manufacturers automatically disparage any kind of aftermarket modifications on "their" vehicles.

• Helpful
Reactions: dhrivnak
Hi TEG,

Hope you're well.

Not sure if you realize that I have 2 Teslas. I am certain that you're aware they have two very different batteries TEG.

Two vehicles with 2 separate questions in 2 different forums.

I bought the CHAdeMO ADAPTER for the Model X, but that has NOTHING to do with the CHAdeMO CHARGER I purchased from California for my Roadster.

So, for the Model X, it's the Tesla supplied $450 adapter...

And for your Roadster, the JdeMO from Quick Charge Power - JdeMO for the Roadster?

I don't own this adapter because my wife doesn't want it and we have the other Teslas for long distance trips, but I'm sure those that have owned it for a while can attest to its usability/utility/etc...

To answer your question (ok, to guess at an answer to your question), I don't think the JDEmo adapter will cause damage to the battery. From what I've read, the way it works is to trick the car into thinking it's in Regen mode, taking energy from the CHAdeMO input and feeding it into the battery as if it came from the motor. Quite clever, actually. The motor is capable of about 40kw of Regen charging (so the battery and such are designed to handle that level of current), and the car has a good active cooling system for the battery. There's a management processor in the JDEmo box that regulates the charging process, keeping it within safe limits. As with any EV, frequent high-current charging probably isn't the best for the battery, but if you're just using it for occasional charging during a trip, I wouldn't be at all concerned about battery health.

Oh, and "might damage your car" is a standard answer when any manufacturer is faced with 3rd party equipment. They even blamed my OVMSv3 for causing some fan-related alerts. Sheesh...

I agree fully with gregd. I am using the JdeMo for 2,5 years and it works great.
This set is keeping me on the road as Tesla does not. My CAC went down to 110 at 350.000km, purchased the JdeMo and now my CAC is 93 at 414.000 km. I can not tell if degradation is stronger with this set since the battery is so old (>1250 cycles) that nobody ever anticipated it would be possible to keep on driving like this and it is said degradation speeds up anyway after end of life of 1000 cycles.
I ordered a new pack 2,5 years ago. Never get any response from Tesla anymore so they have little to say I was "forced" to put in this set to keep my roadster on the road.
Most likely if ever a new pack with an acceptable range will be available I only need the JdeMo for long road trips (>500km).
By the way, due to higher internal resistance in this very old pack the JdeMo charging already start throttling down at 80 km (45%) range. So in general I have to charge 40 minutes to get the pack from 30 to 150km range.

I agree fully with gregd. I am using the JdeMo for 2,5 years and it works great.
This set is keeping me on the road as Tesla does not. My CAC went down to 110 at 350.000km, purchased the JdeMo and now my CAC is 93 at 414.000 km. I can not tell if degradation is stronger with this set since the battery is so old (>1250 cycles) that nobody ever anticipated it would be possible to keep on driving like this and it is said degradation speeds up anyway after end of life of 1000 cycles.
I ordered a new pack 2,5 years ago. Never get any response from Tesla anymore so they have little to say I was "forced" to put in this set to keep my roadster on the road.
Most likely if ever a new pack with an acceptable range will be available I only need the JdeMo for long road trips (>500km).
By the way, due to higher internal resistance in this very old pack the JdeMo charging already start throttling down at 80 km (45%) range. So in general I have to charge 40 minutes to get the pack from 30 to 150km range.

sounds like it did degrade your battery

Reactions: TOBASH
I have a JdeMO installed. I have only used it twice, so I cannot speak to degredation. I have it as an option so that if I ever want to take a longer drive, I have some sort of faster regen available. I won't be using it routinely. Having said that, the team that installed it a Electrified Garage told me that the firmware update for the JdeMO from QC Power that will allow even faster charging actually pushes current at a higher rate than the install (and some part of the Roadster's hardware, if I understood correctly) is rated for. So the Electrified Garage team recommended that I not have the firmware updated. QC Power doesn't believe it is a problem.

I have a JdeMO installed. I have only used it twice, so I cannot speak to degredation. I have it as an option so that if I ever want to take a longer drive, I have some sort of faster regen available. I won't be using it routinely. Having said that, the team that installed it a Electrified Garage told me that the firmware update for the JdeMO from QC Power that will allow even faster charging actually pushes current at a higher rate than the install (and some part of the Roadster's hardware, if I understood correctly) is rated for. So the Electrified Garage team recommended that I not have the firmware updated. QC Power doesn't believe it is a problem.

Exactly why I am getting it and I guess I will need to watch carefully. Thanks!

To answer your question (ok, to guess at an answer to your question), I don't think the JDEmo adapter will cause damage to the battery. From what I've read, the way it works is to trick the car into thinking it's in Regen mode, taking energy from the CHAdeMO input and feeding it into the battery as if it came from the motor. Quite clever, actually. The motor is capable of about 40kw of Regen charging (so the battery and such are designed to handle that level of current), and the car has a good active cooling system for the battery. There's a management processor in the JDEmo box that regulates the charging process, keeping it within safe limits. As with any EV, frequent high-current charging probably isn't the best for the battery, but if you're just using it for occasional charging during a trip, I wouldn't be at all concerned about battery health.

Oh, and "might damage your car" is a standard answer when any manufacturer is faced with 3rd party equipment. They even blamed my OVMSv3 for causing some fan-related alerts. Sheesh...
OK, so now I know what these are for and their purposes for fast charging for our Roadsters... but what charging stations are these compatible with? My Roadster is more or less a toy, so I don't see myself going far from home with it, but would still like to be knowledgeable about it.

Thanks.

OK, so now I know what these are for and their purposes for fast charging for our Roadsters... but what charging stations are these compatible with? My Roadster is more or less a toy, so I don't see myself going far from home with it, but would still like to be knowledgeable about it.

Thanks.
In theory, any "CHAdeMO" high speed charging station. In practice, I don't know what brands or such. Others can chime in...

By way of background, there are three kinds of high speed DC charging. CHAdeMO was the original, along with Tesla's Supercharging. The newer standard, and the one most new cars seem to come with, is CCS. At least for now, many of the DC charging stations seem to have a CHAdeMO on one side of the monument, and CCS on the other. I don't know how that mix will change long-term. CHAdeMO was reported to still have a lot of support over in Japan, but with Nissan scaling back on everything, it will be interesting to see how things evolve.

Thanks.

EVgo & Electrify America stations usually have both CCS & CHAdeMO

Not sure they are back in stock.... I was told I got the last one. Sorry

Tony Williams [QC Power] posted on the Roadster Owners’s FB group that the last Jademo unit was shipped and they are no longer making the Jademo for Roadster due to lack of demand.

There were only approximately 50 total units shipped : most going to Europe, several in Japan, a few in Australia, and only about a dozen in the US.

Interestingly, the assembly was designed to handle CCS-Combo protocol.

I have Jademo installed on my 1.5, but like others, have only used it two or three times. It worked well, I just haven’t taken enough long trips.

Tony Williams [QC Power] posted on the Roadster Owners’s FB group that the last Jademo unit was shipped and they are no longer making the Jademo for Roadster due to lack of demand.

There were only approximately 50 total units shipped : most going to Europe, several in Japan, a few in Australia, and only about a dozen in the US.

I have Jademo installed on my 1.5, but like others, have only used it two or three times. It worked well, I just haven’t taken enough long trips.

Please tell me how to access CCS protocols.

I would ask Tony, but Tony is away right now. He told me he was going flying but I was told there may be another more sad reason.

I just spoke to the staff there at QC, and the CHAdeMO is NOT designed to handle CCS-Combo protocol.

They are considering making an add-on that will attach to the CHAdeMO device, but they explained to me that CHAdeMO and CCS use different communication protocols that are not compatible.

Best,

T

Finally, the QC device can be set to charge at 1/2 rate, which is good to know for when the battery pack needs a charge BUT is running hot due to driving.Theoretically this would diminish risk of prematurely degrading battery life.

I just spoke to the staff there at QC, and the CHAdeMO is NOT designed to handle CCS-Combo protocol.

They are considering making an add-on that will attach to the CHAdeMO device, but they explained to me that CHAdeMO and CCS use different communication protocols that are not compatible..

tried to convince @CM_007 today to call the
QC guys and become an official distributor.

i think they would have sold a lot more if (a) they were less expensive and (b) the had a nicer behind license plate install option with all the hardware. Guys like me want a turnkey solution. No tome or expertise to do jury-rigged solutions.