TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Is it ugly? (Poll)

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Ryan P, Mar 31, 2016.

?

Rate the Model 3's look

1. 9-10 Stunning, I'm in love!!!

29.3%
  2. 8 Pretty amazing! I couldn't have asked for more

40.8%
  3. 7 This is a better than standard looking car, and for $35,000, good enough

23.0%
  4. 5-6 Looks like a normal car, with some weird station wagon stuff and an ugly front end

6.7%
  5. 1-4 Elon, you jerk. Selling my shares now and refunding my reservation

0.2%
  1. Ryan P

Ryan P Member

I can't figure out if this car is ugly or not. Some photos make it look great. Some make it look like a station wagon with a weird front end. Your thoughts?

2. Owner

Owner Active Member

Much better than the X

• Like x 4
  3. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

I think it looks awesome for this stage in design. It will evolve. It will improve. It's still missing a lot of little details that will make the design "whole".

Take a look at some of the alpha--> beta Model S's. They looked much less refined than the final version. They'll continue to tweak and improve.

• Like x 7
  4. FreeOfPge

FreeOfPge Member

Love it! They hit the ball out of the park and across the bay!

• Like x 2
  5. Waverider

Waverider Member

I thought the X had a strange looking front end. The front end of the 3 looks like the ugliest Porsche ever. Every other angle of the car looks great, that front end though...yuck.

• Like x 2
  6. FirstSea

FirstSea Member

I'm starting to think they showed more than one prototype. Of the three car they had, the one in the middle looked ugly, but the one on the far left and the red one looked awesome. I'm not sure if it's the color, angle or are the car actually different; the front of the car keeps looking shorter or longer in every different picture.

• Like x 3
  7. Joules Verne

Joules Verne Member

I'm going with amazing, because it is amazing.

That said, the nose is better than the S & X, but still not quite right. Easily fixable though. IF they lower the pug a bit, and have the upper snout line match the side lines.

I'm speculating here, but I'm assuming they didn't do this due to drag reasons.

Everything else works for me.
    Gotta love that matt silver. Reminds me of that car from that time travel movie.

• Like x 5
    • Helpful x 1
    • Funny x 1
  8. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

Very impressive. Front end... I could live with it :confused:

9. Tanquen

Tanquen Member

It's not great but better than the X. So for me it's S E X.

• Like x 1
  10. anticitizen13.7

anticitizen13.7 Enemy of the Status Quo

I actually love the Roadster/Porche-esq front end.

I was not sure of the Model X design when it was revealed last year, but I am 100% sure of the Model 3 design.

11. alphabravo

alphabravo Member

For a base of $35,000 I could not have asked for more! Is it perfect? No. But it is 10x better than it could have been! Love the front end, not a huge fan of the interior display but completely understand it. Super impressed with the vehicle, the event, the reservation process in store today (and online). This is the beginning of the global change. Super proud to be a South African today (my closest connection to Elon)!

12. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

Yes, those tree differ more than just in color. This is work in progress but we got to see what the basis is, not just words.

13. Beryl

Beryl Member

I like it. The nose is better than the X, IMO. I like the S nose but I don't think it would look as nice on the Ξ

• Like x 1
  14. Ryan P

Ryan P Member

Cool, that's an interesting. The first Model S was ugly!

15. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

I love it. Home run IMO. Huge improvement on the X front end, and a worthy stablemate to the S.

16. Model S M.D.

Model S M.D. Ludicrous Radiologist

Awesome front end, looks like a mini Panamera. Think about that for a second...the bolt, i3 and Leaf are supposed to compete?

• Like x 2
  17. bredi

bredi Member

I was wondering about the three- 3's also. My least favorite is the titanium silver. Which is usually my favorite color!

The matte Grey looks the best. Its darker, so maybe its hiding some of the lines? Like black usually does?

It would be interesting to get confirmation on this, rather then just the camera angles, lighting and color.

18. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

I think it looks great, and is just simply ahead of the curve. This is what vehicles are going to have to look like to compromise between utility and efficiency.

The new Prius does something similar...but thank goodness Tesla has Franz!

• Like x 1
  19. Bruin1996

Bruin1996 Member

LOL at the Bolt, i3, or Leaf... They need to step up their game big time to be even remotely competitive with Tesla in terms of looks, range, technology, safety, supercharger infrastructure, Autopilot, and other features.

20. Sir Guacamolaf

Sir Guacamolaf The good kind of fat

I went with 5-6. For 35K is hella nice. Model S still looks much better IMO.

But seriously, w t h is up with that bandage nose design? Why can't they make it slightly curvy/bubble like. much like the porsche EV?
    No I'm not proposing nose cone. Yes I know its an EV and it doesn't need air intake. But that is no excuse for a flat board in front either!

The i3/bolt/volt etc. are just awful in comparison! Even ray charles on a dark night wouldn't argue with that!

• Like x 1
  21. Nomad

Nomad Member

When they first rolled out on stage, I was sitting at about a 6. I've been steadily moving up, now sitting at a high 7. There are few angles where I think the front end looks strange, but overall it looks beautiful. I certainly won't be cancelling my reservation. I'm excited to see what the production version looks like in person.

• Like x 1