Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it upgrade time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2016 Model S, P90D. The car is absolutely pristine for has 66k miles on it. In my local market I think I could get close to $60k for the car.

I don’t drive much, but do road trip a few times a year and really enjoy the free supercharging. I also benefit from free premium connectivity. I love having a sunroof that opens for those cool evenings. I also really like the functionality AP1 brings.

I’m interested in the new interior, and intrigued by the increased range (although that’s silly as I don’t drive much). I also tend to want me things just because.

I think for somewhere around $35k after taxes and fees I could move from my loaded P90D to a new LR with Arachnids. Help me with the logic here - do I just keep driving my car or make a plunge for the new one?

With the used market conditions like they are, you arent alone in this contemplation. Couple notes from my recent experience:
- KBB.COM's numbers seem to align with the current market value of used S's. (Cant speak for other models because I didnt check). I suggest running your car through their online valuation site
- Also check Edmunds TMV Value online

But with refresh S has a LOT of nice upgrades built in over the 2016 S.

I have a 2015. I really like the free connectivity and unlimited free supercharging, and AP1 is right where I want it: stable, predictable, useful, and not trying to do more than I want. I love the sunroof, too. I like my interior colors and materials that are no longer available. I use the yacht floor almost every time I drive. I even appreciate and use daily the button on the end of my AP stalk.
For me, personally, you would have to pay me to "upgrade".
EDIT & PS: And it's paid for and costs very little to own, operate, and insure.

I am in the same boat, would love to upgrade so I could be in the front seat with all the new updates and better battery pack but I’d have to sell now, be without a car for 6 months and pay an additional € 50k. Not worth it ATM

Reactions: Ghosty
If the numbers are working in your favor, it may be a golden window to move to the new vehicle. Once chips are being supplied and the used car market starts to right itself then the used market may go down. So, if you are thinking, I'd recommend taking a look. Now, with that said, it sounds you have a great thing going with the P90. The free supercharging is a big mental thing however, it does add up and seams to add up quickly with the increase SC prices. If not driven that much and if your numbers don't work in your favor, I'd wait another year or so. I'm thinking there's more to the new Model S and there may be a small refresh that may offer a few extras. An example is with the Model Y being released and a year later there was some interior changes that people liked.

Given the state of battery tech I think the most affordable strategy is to wait. There will be more alternatives, cheaper and better batteries, more mature BMS and more economical motors. In 5-10 years ppl will laugh about the energy consumption of my P90D and I’ll be laughing with a revised battery pack that’ll offer more range at the cost of 5k. So much is happening in this space, the more patient you are the better the car will be that you’ll buy.

I’m interested in the new interior, and intrigued by the increased range (although that’s silly as I don’t drive much). I also tend to want me things just because.
Help me with the logic here - do I just keep driving my car or make a plunge for the new one?
You already acknowledge that you want things just because, so seems like you are trying to find someone to logically justify your desire to want something new for reasons you already acknowledge have no logical reason. Don't take this a criticism; I think we all at times need to learn to separate "wants" versus "needs" and what decisions are truly driven by logic versus emotion.

Regarding comments about used car prices softening once chip situation stabilizes, I think that may take a lot longer than some are thinking. Personally I don't think we're in a short term, few month situation for the supply situation to normalize. I know I've seem some projections from inside companies dealing with electronics suggesting we may be looking at late 2022 before we start to get back to "normal" on the supply sided.

If you figure out a way to logically justify an emotional decision. I've decided in the case of my mid-2016 MD90D there is no logical justification and my best strategy is to just not read too much details on the new models for likely another 1-2 years until I'm ready to seriously consider trading. Otherwise I'll just feed the "... but I want it ..." brain.

I am in a very similar boat, and if you want to feel like you are getting a brand new car for 30-40k, it's worth the move.

Are the new 19" wheels gray or chrome? I'm not loving the look if they are gray.

You already acknowledge that you want things just because, so seems like you are trying to find someone to logically justify your desire to want something new for reasons you already acknowledge have no logical reason. Don't take this a criticism; I think we all at times need to learn to separate "wants" versus "needs" and what decisions are truly driven by logic versus emotion.

Regarding comments about used car prices softening once chip situation stabilizes, I think that may take a lot longer than some are thinking. Personally I don't think we're in a short term, few month situation for the supply situation to normalize. I know I've seem some projections from inside companies dealing with electronics suggesting we may be looking at late 2022 before we start to get back to "normal" on the supply sided.

If you figure out a way to logically justify an emotional decision. I've decided in the case of my mid-2016 MD90D there is no logical justification and my best strategy is to just not read too much details on the new models for likely another 1-2 years until I'm ready to seriously consider trading. Otherwise I'll just feed the "... but I want it ..." brain.

Agreed. Recent articles show that the ONE factory in Taiwan took notable effort to pivot to almost 100% chips for consumer electronic devices during the pandemic as demand for laptops/tablets/phones, etc soared and car factories shut down. Pivoting back to making car chips to the same level as before wont happen overnight. And when it does happen, there is a backlog PLUS current demand. So the facts tend to lean towards used market being high for sometime. And I predict within the next 90 days? Another $5k price hike for the long range..

I have a 2016 Model S, P90D. The car is absolutely pristine for has 66k miles on it. In my local market I think I could get close to $60k for the car.

I don’t drive much, but do road trip a few times a year and really enjoy the free supercharging. I also benefit from free premium connectivity. I love having a sunroof that opens for those cool evenings. I also really like the functionality AP1 brings.

I think for somewhere around $35k after taxes and fees I could move from my loaded P90D to a new LR with Arachnids. Help me with the logic here - do I just keep driving my car or make a plunge for the new one?
If you bought the car because you were concerned about the environment, then keep it. Buying a new car due to a want instead of a need is a horrible choice in regards to climate change.

Reactions: cousin_IT
The SC torqued the front end to spec while evaluating the front arm that is prone to fail, and now it rides like a completely different car.
I just had this exact procedure done a couple weeks ago (at 130k miles) and am very happy with the results too. The car used to creak over speed bumps, but no longer. Had no idea this was even a thing but the service center staff recommended it based on my mileage. Back in love with my ride =)

I just can not like the plaid redesign.

And nerfing my battery so I have to stay at v8.1, charging loyal early FSD customers for hardware upgrade, ever lack of parts, long service waits... I just don't approve of the trends. Just because they can, doesn't mean they should.

The Polecat, er sorry, 'Polestar' Precept is more like what I was expecting of the redesign and of Elon, not some homogenized middle-of-the-roader.

I am not interested in the plaid, and I don't care what the cool kids are doing.

I have a 2015 and was eagerly awaiting the refresh. I just can't deal with the drawbacks - namely stalks and yokes. I am not willing to pay money to have things downgraded. Thanks Elon for saving me some cash.

As far as the environmental argument - you can easily justify that your old car will replace one more ICE car. By selling it, you are making used EVs more affordable. Now, buying a 3 would be much better of course....

I just can not like the plaid redesign.

And nerfing my battery so I have to stay at v8.1, charging loyal early FSD customers for hardware upgrade, ever lack of parts, long service waits... I just don't approve of the trends. Just because they can, doesn't mean they should.

The Polecat, er sorry, 'Polestar' Precept is more like what I was expecting of the redesign and of Elon, not some homogenized middle-of-the-roader.

I am not interested in the plaid, and I don't care what the cool kids are doing.
Didn’t elon talk about the price going up and urged owners to purchase FSD before the price increases years ago, And now they’re demanding those people pay more for a feature that still doesn’t exist...