TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Is it worth it getting panels gaps perfect?

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by Yev000, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Yev000

Yev000 Active Member

So I have a few niggles about panel gaps. Nothing major and does not affect function.

Not sure if the inconvenience of losing the car for some days, plus may not get a loaner, plus may rattle after...

panel1.JPG
    slight misalignment of front bumper

panel2.JPG
    Gap is about 0.5mm larger on drivers side

I'm inclined to just live with it.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  2. Keeper

Keeper Member

It doesn't look right to me.

• Like x 1
  3. Jetson Jones

Jetson Jones Member

Don't do it, you'll look at it every day and wish you had sorted it.

4. Ames

Ames Member

I think that's an easy fix...just choose a convenient time for yourself - it's hardly urgent. Personally I'd wait and get it taken care of with something else - if nothing else comes up in a month or so then I'd take it in. Giving up your Model 3 for a few days and driving an ICE vehicle again is part of the fun...

5. AndrewR

AndrewR Member

Agree with others, get that fixed. It looks simple enough as it’s wing/bumper/bonnet which all have adjustment in them

6. LukeT

LukeT Member

I raised a few issues on collection and am taking the car in for them. And the tesla folk at my collection thought they should be sorted too, although I don't yet know how well I'll get on of course. It could be your photos but to my eye your issues look worse than mine.

7. ElectricJoules

I had Dartford service realign my frunk lid and driver's door. They did a good job on both.
    Also they gave me a nice Model S 90D for the duration of the repairs.

• Informative x 1
  8. ivangr

ivangr Member

the issue comes when selling the car down the line and the buyer starts kicking the tyres and finding fault. get it fixed i think

• Like x 2
  9. Epico

Epico Member

Why wouldn't you get it fixed? You've spent over £40k on a car, the least they can do in make it not look like its had a stroke

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  10. Yev000

Yev000 Active Member

Booked it for Nov 1st, will see what they say.

• Like x 3
  11. Yev000

Yev000 Active Member

For fear that they will make it rattle in the process.

• Funny x 1
  12. Epico

Epico Member

Which will be another thing they would have to fix

13. Yev000

Yev000 Active Member

Good point. Anyway, got it scheduled, lets see what happens. I'll ask them to do all the little bits I'm not happy with around the car.

14. Rooster6655

Rooster6655 Active Member

They are making you wait 6 weeks for an appointment or is that your choice? I was rather annoyed having to wait a month

15. Yev000

Yev000 Active Member

My original appointment was 29th (not far off) - booked on 20th during delivery. It's done in the app and its the first available. The 1st of Nov was my choice due to Friday being easier to take off work.

But yeah, you book through the phone app, delivery guys can't do it for you....

Maybe it's how busy Weybridge is? It's the one closest to me. When I looked an hour ago 31st was the first available day and I picked 1st.

16. Rooster6655

Rooster6655 Active Member

I guess I should be grateful for having less than a month to wait, I did note that sometimes earlier dates appear after booking.

17. Yev000

Yev000 Active Member

My issue is not urgent. The car drives perfectly, there are no whistles or rattles....

I suppose if there was something seriously wrong I'd be bothered.

• Like x 1
  18. NorfolkMustard

NorfolkMustard Active Member

Weybridge service centre is quite small - room for about 4 cars to be worked on at once. Looked like a new building though when I drove around it a few months ago. They had a roadster in the car park around the back.

Google Maps

19. VanillaAir_UK

VanillaAir_UK Moderator UK and Ireland

#19 VanillaAir_UK, Sep 22, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    Weybridge looks to be a huge workshop space. Could be used as a hangar its that big. Reception at one end, the rest is workshop space. Car park, even the one around the back is a bit limited with all the cars parked up or on charge. Inside there are a few partitions that may make it look smaller. If they can't do more than 4 cars then there is a huge waste of space. I saw at least 2 car lifts.

Google maps - yes thats the one.

20. adsheff

adsheff Member

Out of interest, do they stipulate that you have to point out these things at the delivery centre, or would it be fine if you'd driven a few hundred miles before noticing them?