Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it worth it - Lost Credit Card in centre console

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Remember post of guy who had gone to ATM and had a bunch of $20s which he put down on center console along with wallet. Couldn't find the bills and they had slipped into the console too.

Pwdr Extreme did SvC mean easy to lose stuff there oe easy to retrieve? We will check out that cubby in case this happens to us.

Lost my ID card to get into Naval Hospital to pick up my wife just outside the gate one day. I usually pull it out of wallet just before I get there and hold it until I am through the gate. That day I set it down on the closed center console to move something else and had to make a hard brake when someone ahead of us stopped. Needless to say the ID card slid forward and into "Neverland". I called the service center to find out how to get it out and they told me to just get a new ID card. Fortunately our daughter was in the car with me going to get wife from work. Also the guard on duty in my lane was the same one who that morning told me "Nice Car, I am jealous" to which I replied "Me too, it is my wife's car." Needless to say he just waved me through. The next morning when I took my wife to work I had to go to the ID office to get a replacement. Much easier than trying to get inside of the forward part of the center console.

I thought I was I was only one who lost a credit card there! I ordered a new card after I couldn't figure out how to remove the console (and I wasn't a hundred percent sure the console had eaten up my card). Interestingly, the card that I lost in the Tesla was only a few days old and had replaced a card that was stolen...

Reactions: RRM998
The bottom of the cubby hole above the center console easily pops down which gives you good access to reach behind the the sliding door of the lower console with the lid in the closed position.

I lost a check in that same spot awhile ago and called my service center who told me it was really easy to do.

Thanks a lot! Popped right off and there was the card!

Cheers

It really is easy to access, it seems counterintuitive to pull apart the cubby above the area that you lost the items in, but that is exactly what you do. The reason being that it is open on the top side in front of the sliding door, removing the cubby tray allows you room to reach your hand in front of the closed sliding door and you can then reach down into the compartment.

Service said it is both easy to lose items and easy to access them when you do.

• Informative
Reactions: Kacey Green
Came across this thread when I had this exact issue - replying with some pictures so it can help the next person. I had previously lost a check that slid down and back behind. I tried everything from rulers, to vaccum cleaners to try to get it out. Until I found this thread:

Press down on the tray below the nav screen, there is a tab both left and right. It will take some force. I did one side at a time.
20171216_114013.jpg20171216_114018.jpg
Then slide the tray out towards you.
20171216_113912.jpg
You can then see thru to the back and reach to get your paper, CC, etc that has fallen behind.
20171216_113927.jpg
Putting it back is simple, there are back tabs on the tray to insert easily into backside, then pop the tray back up into position on the left and right clips.

Came across this thread when I had this exact issue - replying with some pictures so it can help the next person. I had previously lost a check that slid down and back behind. I tried everything from rulers, to vaccum cleaners to try to get it out. Until I found this thread:

Press down on the tray below the nav screen, there is a tab both left and right. It will take some force. I did one side at a time.
View attachment 267007View attachment 267006
View attachment 267009
You can then see thru to the back and reach to get your paper, CC, etc that has fallen behind.
View attachment 267008
Putting it back is simple, there are back tabs on the tray to insert easily into backside, then pop the tray back up into position on the left and right clips.

Thanks for the photos. I know at some point this will come in handy :). Seeing the tabs on the tray helps visualize the whole removal part. It's those hidden parts that sometimes can get tricky if you don't know how they are configured.

View attachment 267007View attachment 267006
View attachment 267009
View attachment 267008

Thanks these pics saved my card!!

I was wondering whether it would be the same on S and X - I had to press down with some courage but now I can confirm it worked fine on the X, and it clicks back in very easily, I do not feel like I have broken anything. Took me 2 minutes and I would do it again in half the time. I think it is worth a try before going through the hassle of reordering documents (or stop spending)

Ill try and do one, basically all your do is put your fingers in the cubby below the screen and push down firmly. The tray just pops out and you have access to the area where the top of the centre console slides.

Techs have to do that to get to the ethernet cable to connect their laptop to the car. The cable is tucked above the cubby.

Reactions: Kacey Green
If by any chance you still cannot reach the lost card by popping the cubby, you can also remove the side panels on the bottom. They also pop out, and it gave me easy access to my lost card. It's not as easy as popping the cubby out, but that's what I did, since I hadn't read this post before trying...