Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it worth it - Lost Credit Card in centre console

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw this yesterday and decided to try to retrieve my Chargepoint RFID card that had slipped in there, found it but it slipped under the removable portion of the center console while trying to wrestle it free from the rear plastic piano door guide.
Checked the removal instructions found here, but I appear to have a newer version of the console without the screws located in the tech document (2 by 12V plugs and near the top of piano door are not there as indicated in the official service document) as well as a full length leather side apron. It almost looks as if the seats would need to be pulled to fully remove.
Looked easy enough from the tech document and probably is on my vehicle as well, but where the fasteners holding it in place are located on the newer version is eluding me.
Has anyone dealt with the newer revision (My Model X was a 6-seat configuration manufactured in 12/18)

A little more lunchtime googling turned up the second generation at NHTSA Service Bulletin database like the first gen.
Looks like the center console insert is secured by 2 screws on the inside bottom of the center console insert on my unit.
Lots of other info in the document as well as it seems to cover the full center console assembly
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/SB-10081841-5448.pdf
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/SB-10081841-5448.pdf
Not quite as direct as the first gen service bulletin, but I think I can work with that.

I wonder if this Topfit Accessory would prevent cards from sliding into the abyss? At this price I'm not sure I'd buy one for myself, but if I get one for xmas, I'll let you know what I think.
81cOYixoKcL._SL1500_.jpg
FYI: After having to pull my console apart to get to a lost credit card, I did end up buying the above accessory. I modified it slightly by using 3M tape to connect a strip of foam weatherstripping (exact same width as console door) to the bottom of this accessory. It now prevents any cards from sliding into the abyss.

I hope this can help others from having to pull apart their consoles.

Reactions: 1JenJen
Thanks to Z06_ATTACK and Pwdr Extreme

I finally had time to search online and discover that I was not the only one with mysterious disappearances, I could retrieved :
2 credit cards
2 driving licenses
8 parking receipts
and there is at least two more that i cannot reach (and who knows what else). It might be discovered in 80 years by a vintage Tesla car collector !

TESLA TREASURE.jpg

so thanks to
Came across this thread when I had this exact issue - replying with some pictures so it can help the next person. I had previously lost a check that slid down and back behind. I tried everything from rulers, to vaccum cleaners to try to get it out. Until I found this thread:

Press down on the tray below the nav screen, there is a tab both left and right. It will take some force. I did one side at a time.
View attachment 267007View attachment 267006
Then slide the tray out towards you.
View attachment 267009
You can then see thru to the back and reach to get your paper, CC, etc that has fallen behind.
View attachment 267008
Putting it back is simple, there are back tabs on the tray to insert easily into backside, then pop the tray back up into position on the left and right clips.

and
The bottom of the cubby hole above the center console easily pops down which gives you good access to reach behind the the sliding door of the lower console with the lid in the closed position.

I lost a check in that same spot awhile ago and called my service center who told me it was really easy to do.

Came across this thread when I had this exact issue - replying with some pictures so it can help the next person. I had previously lost a check that slid down and back behind. I tried everything from rulers, to vaccum cleaners to try to get it out. Until I found this thread:

Press down on the tray below the nav screen, there is a tab both left and right. It will take some force. I did one side at a time.
View attachment 267009
You can then see thru to the back and reach to get your paper, CC, etc that has fallen behind.
View attachment 267008
Putting it back is simple, there are back tabs on the tray to insert easily into backside, then pop the tray back up into position on the left and right clips.
So I know it’s been a few years since you posted but your thread just saved me a trip to the DMV. This just happened a few minutes ago and I followed your instructions and got the card right out! I’m so happy right now! THANK YOU so much for sharing this info.

considering my credit card companies generally send me a new card within 3 days i honestly cant imagine why this is such a big deal haha.
Well I tell you why it can be a big deal. If that credit card is being used to autopay monthly utilities like water, lights, and other typical monthly costs, then it is a pain to go and update the credit card information with all those places after ordering a new card. I presume you are not doing that, so no big deal for you. :D

Well I tell you why it can be a big deal. If that credit card is being used to autopay monthly utilities like water, lights, and other typical monthly costs, then it is a pain to go and update the credit card information with all those places after ordering a new card. I presume you are not doing that, so no big deal for you. :D

Card replacements are usually issued identical to the original card including CVV, unless you think it has been stolen. If you use a soft card such as the Apple Card, it is even easier, because the physical card is a completely separate number.

Card replacements are usually issued identical to the original card including CVV, unless you think it has been stolen. If you use a soft card such as the Apple Card, it is even easier, because the physical card is a completely separate number.
maybe yes maybe no. I have never had them issue the same number and same cvv on various of my cards. For me it is easier to pull the panel and get the card in about 3 minutes.:) One of my card companies seems to always insist on changing the security number on the back even if it is a simple replacement card that isn't lost, but I am ok with that.

Last edited:

View attachment 267009
View attachment 267008

This. saved. me.

I wonder if this Topfit Accessory would prevent cards from sliding into the abyss? At this price I'm not sure I'd buy one for myself, but if I get one for xmas, I'll let you know what I think.
81cOYixoKcL._SL1500_.jpg

I've been using one of these for a couple of years. It works great.

We have a rule in our car that nothing other than phones or glasses are set on the console lid. We lost several paper items and hair clips into the abyss before declaring the new rule though.

I cut a strip of black foam and and pushed it in the gap between the console and center screen, just behind the sliding door. It does a great job of preventing items from sliding behind the console, and is not noticable because of our black interior.

Hi all. I had this exact issue and lost a COVID vaccine card (not replaceable!) in the slot just above the sliding cover. I tried the advice of pushing down on the shelf below the screen, but when it didn't give, I wasn't sure that I got it correct and was afraid of doing damage. I got mobile service to come out and it took the tech a while to get it. He pushed down REALLY hard on the shelf, which did come off, but we didn't find the card. He then took off both sides of the console and eventually found the card. It then took him a while to reinstall everything, but eventually did. This wasn't as easy as I expected and I would probably not try this on my own should this problem recur, but I do appreciate the advice from all. Thanks.

Reactions: Kacey Green
I may have been unlucky but the credit card disappeared through the magic gap and the reappeared, visible with a mirror on the underside! It started jamming the mechanism. So after much messing around I used forceps and a dremmel to get it out. Fortunately I didn’t need to keep the card!!

Attachments

• 89692ED2-B6DE-4CB3-B81B-30509EFD3F3D.jpeg
    89692ED2-B6DE-4CB3-B81B-30509EFD3F3D.jpeg
    412.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 29242AB9-3D5D-4C57-86F0-26AC6095BDBA.jpeg
    29242AB9-3D5D-4C57-86F0-26AC6095BDBA.jpeg
    664.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Funny
Reactions: Harvey Danger