Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it worth it to get PPF and/or ceramic coating? What is a fair price?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

apoorva

Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2022
Dublin, CA
Hi,

I took delivery of my Model Y (black) this week. Is it worth it to get PPF and/or ceramic coating? What is a fair price to pay in the Bay area?

These are the two quotes I got so far

PPF - $5000, PPF + Ceramic Coating - $6000

PPF + Ceramic Coating - $8000

Thanks
Apoorva

Congrats!

Those are OK prices, but shop and material are most important.

I used the Xpel line for both tint and PPF. GTechnique for ceramic. Total cost for me was $7k in Tampa FL.

Entire process took one week and I am immensely pleased. My decision has nothing to do with car value, but rather maintaing the vehicle. I'm 68 and I use ONR wash. Dirt and bugs slide off. With ONR, I wash down my car inside the garage. No suds.

My black Tesla MYLR ALWAYS looks sharp.
Wondering what is ONR wash?

Thanks

Upvote 0
My MYP will be treated like my Harley. I ride it. I don't worship it. That being said, I did have a ceramic coating professionally done a few days after taking delivery of my MYP. Three levels were offered and I went with the mid range. I understand that much of the cost is related to prep and paint correction. You don't want to seal in all the swirlies. My new MYP needed no paint correction and so the cost was around $800. I felt this was worth it to me to keep it nice longer and ease maintenance for me. Plus it really looks great. Time will tell I guess...

Upvote 0
I'd agree not to get PPF or other protections for resale value, as it won't matter much, if any. If you want your car to have some extra protection because rock chips bother you, then it may be worthwhile. If your children destroy everything else you own and you want one freaking nice thing that will keep looking good for years, then it may be worthwhile. If, on top of it, you drive through a gravel hailstorm on poorly maintained expressways every day and super-hate windshield chips, then maybe some windshield protection film is worth it, too.

I found the investment more worthwhile than FSD, so that's where I put my $$. Car looks beautiful, and the children aren't allowed near it. :)

Upvote 0
My MYP will be treated like my Harley. I ride it. I don't worship it. That being said, I did have a ceramic coating professionally done a few days after taking delivery of my MYP. Three levels were offered and I went with the mid range. I understand that much of the cost is related to prep and paint correction. You don't want to seal in all the swirlies. My new MYP needed no paint correction and so the cost was around $800. I felt this was worth it to me to keep it nice longer and ease maintenance for me. Plus it really looks great. Time will tell I guess...
$800? Holy crap. I did mine myself for $21 from Amazon and was dead simple. Maybe the ceramic they used is more durable but mine is doing what is intended. These ceramic installers must send their kids to ivy leaguer schools with the profits they make. Good for them.

Reactions: Socalfarmhouse
Upvote 0
2021 LR Black Model 3, 32k on the odometer. I didn't get PPF or ceramic coating. I drive it about 3000 miles a month mostly on the freeway at 70+. I hand wash it every weekend. Yes, there are small rock chips on the hood. I don't let the dead bugs build up so I am able to wash them off every weekend. It looks great after I wash it and dry it so I don't think $4000 - $7000 would be money well spent to *possibly* prevent a rock chip. Honestly, they are only visible if you look really close. It is a daily driver not a car show pony.

Upvote 0
Not sure about the difference in brands - but quotes for ceramic coating with paint correction, in the Dallas area are $500-$1200 with a 3-7 year warranty. I got mine done for $700 (7 year warranty). As some of them said, I dont see the value in PPF especially at those high prices..

Upvote 0
I can't justify Full PPF expenses for the such car as Tesla. Ferrari, Lambo? Maybe... but Tesla.. cmon guys.
I made only PPF for the front bumper because it's big, flat, and going to collect all bugs/rocks at highway speeds. The rest of the car surface is not that vulnerable during the normal driving.

Reactions: vin999
Upvote 0