Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it worth it to purchase a gen 1 mobile charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still waiting for my MY. Try to set up charging routine. Recently finish 14-50 in the garage. I want to have two sets of mobile connector so that I can just leave one in the garage permanently. To get a second set, does it make sense to get a used Gen 1 set? what are the pros and cons? I understand gen 1 charge faster but the gen 2 is supposed to be "safer". Are they true? I have never owned EV before. So i am totally amateur when it comes to this. Any comments?

I would not recommend getting the Gen1 Mobile Connector. This type of equipment does wear out from use and age, most are only warrantied for up to 3 years by the manufacturer. Know that there were some electrical fires with the Gen1 Mobile Connector when charging at 40A (the Gen2 is limited to 32A) when used on a 14-50 receptacle and a 50A circuit.

Leaving the Mobile Connector plugged in at home is a better idea than regularly unplugging the Mobile Connector as the 14-50 receptacle is not designed for a high volume of plug and unplug operations. Unless you know for sure that you will use a second Mobile Connector at a cabin, etc. then I would hold off on purchasing a second Mobile Connector.

The most useful charging accessory that comes with the Tesla vehicle is the SAE J1772 charging adapter. This adapter lets you charge the Tesla vehicle from any Level 1 or Level 2 charging station. Download the PlugShare app onto your phone to locate public charging stations in your location. Between the Supercharger network and the J1772 adapter these may be all the charging equipment you would need away from home.

Reactions: LoudMusic
I'd stick with gen 2 just cause the adapters are compatible (with your current gen 2 stuff) ... gen 1 40A is nice but likely never necessary on an overnight charge

also u probably dont need another cable the times you'll use 14-50 in the wild are slim to none - like @jcanoe said above get a J1772 adapter

I'd stick with gen 2 just cause the adapters are compatible (with your current gen 2 stuff) ... gen 1 40A is nice but likely never necessary on an overnight charge

also u probably dont need another cable the times you'll use 14-50 in the wild are slim to none - like @jcanoe said above get a J1772 adapter
Actually unless you use the J1772 adapter at home to charge (I do) and want a second J1772 adapter or a spare there is no need to purchase a J1772 adapter as this adapter is included with every new Tesla vehicle.

I have a Gen 1 mobile connector that I leave at home but I always charge at 30 amps on the 50 amp outlet. Either way be sure to have a mobile connector with you when on long trip. Last year we were traveling from Portland to SLC. Turned out the Supercharger along the way was closed due to vandalism. We couldn't make the next one without driving 50 mph on a 80 mph speed limit. We stopped at an RV park and pugged in for an hour while having dinner. Always nice to have options.