Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it worth it to take delivery this year?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I placed an order for a PM3 last week so that I could take delivery before the end of the year to qualify for the $1,875 tax credit, and to lock in FSA at $6,000. My question is which is a better move financially:

1. Taking delivery of the 2019 and saving the $2,875
2. Waiting to buy a 2020 with the thought that the 2019 will have deprecated $2,875 (or greater) when the 2020’s are delivered.

Your insights are greatly appreciated

Waiting to buy a 2020 with the thought that the 2019 will have deprecated $2,875 (or greater) when the 2020’s are delivered.
That is a questionable “thought”/assumption.

I think you know that Tesla does not improve or make changes to cars starting on Jan 1, 2020 compared to cars built on Dec 31, 2019. Tesla makes continuous improvements and changes without regard to calendar year.

Nor does Tesla advertise their cars as “2019 model year for sale now!”, for example.

If you buy a Tesla built in December it does not suddenly depreciate in January any more than any other month. Depreciation is primarily based on mileage and age.

Quoting my former company's training videos:

Do it. Do it now.

What dollar value do you place on the joy of having your car a few months earlier? You may not understand my question yet, but you will once you're driving this magical machine.

You are looking at this all wrong. You want to be driving this car ASAP, believe me...

giphy.gif

There have been quite a few threads about this subject, and I hate to be that guy that says to "do a search," but in this case I think it's actually very appropriate to actually be "that guy:" Do a search. ;)

And I'm not saying that to be a jerk... the threads/posts about this subject have a lot of great information/opinions on the subject, and are well worth the time spent to search/read. Especially the back-and-forth regarding if model year information really applies to Teslas. I'm not going to pre-color your opinion on this by giving you mine. :D

Seriously, though, it's a complicated issue, with opinions on both sides making strong arguments.

While I'm not gonna give you my opinion on this, I *will* say that I have absolutely no regrets about purchasing my car in the latter half of this year. ;)

Buying before end of year is a no brainer. It’s a guaranteed $1,875 savings in your pocket versus the possibility that your car might be worth a little more years from now when you go to sell it. And that’s if you really end up with a 2019, which is starting to look less and less likely to happen anyway.,

That is a questionable “thought”/assumption.

I think you know that Tesla does not improve or make changes to cars starting on Jan 1, 2020 compared to cars built on Dec 31, 2019. Tesla makes continuous improvements and changes without regard to calendar year.

Nor does Tesla advertise their cars as “2019 model year for sale now!”, for example.

If you buy a Tesla built in December it does not suddenly depreciate in January any more than any other month. Depreciation is primarily based on mileage and age.
Yes, I am aware of their continuous improvement practices as opposed to the annual refreshes that other automakers practice. I just dont want to take a several thousand dollar bath in, lets say, 2022 when my car appears to be 3 years old as opposed to 2. That being said, given the feedback that I am receiving I'll probably continue to to move forward. I probably should not defer one of the "very few purchases that can give me joy".

This also confuses me ... let’s fast forward 3 years. Assuming you drive 10k/yr. You either have:
2019 model with 30,000 miles on it
2020 model with 30,000 miles on it.
What would you rather buy? It’s just optics in this case but I always prefer an older year with same/lower miles.

In response to taking a bath above ^. If the 2019/2020 model is the “old style” then depreciation difference probably won’t be much.