Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my question is kinda spawned today, because;

a) the wait
b) the cost due to extra mileage.

I’ve had to up my mileage to 15k a year, which has pushed my monthly payment on the LR version to £500ish with £6k down. That includes the interior in white and blue paint.

What I want to know is, is it really worth it....? The equivalent ICE cars such as an evoque or bmw 330e would be about £3k less..

Clearly answers will be bias here but I’m curious to anyone who’s got one and their opinion.

Reactions: RjbT3
Well, from the cost point of view, if you do over 15k miles that BMW or whatever is going to cost something like 3k/year in fuel, unless you charge it every 30 miles.

The other things you wont get in an ICE car is the instance response and the lack of maintenance.

if your having such doubts, then i would say it is not worth it too you as any further delay or criticism will probably make you regret your decision further. Best is to clear your mind and think rationally 1) what you realistically can afford 2) what you plan to do with an EV which was different from a ICE'd car

a) the wait

I’ve had to up my mileage to 15k a year, which has pushed my monthly payment on the LR version to £500ish with £6k down. That includes the interior in white and blue paint.

What I want to know is, is it really worth it....? The equivalent ICE cars such as an evoque or bmw 330e would be about £3k less..

Clearly answers will be bias here but I’m curious to anyone who’s got one and their opinion.

if your having such doubts, then i would say it is not worth it too you as any further delay or criticism will probably make you regret your decision further. Best is to clear your mind and think rationally 1) what you realistically can afford 2) what you plan to do with an EV which was different from a ICE'd car

It’s not that’s its unaffordable, we’re in a comfortable position, it’s more then when you assess it in black and white are you getting the value. The other cars offer other things for less, but the same can be said for Tesla so it’s a bit 50/50

The real question is....

is the extra cost worth the reduction in localised NO, CO, sound and particulate emissions, and the overall reduction in CO2 emissions, verses business as usual and continuing to pollute our planet as before.

I guess only our children, and their children will be able to properly answer that one....

But my bet is that will curse us for our monumental stupidity and breathtaking selfishness.

If you want to live by a spreadsheet, you should probably be looking at Kia's.

On a Tesla you are being an early adopter of the future. If being able to say to people/next generation 'i was there early' isn't worth the £3k (is that including fuel savings?) doesn't add anything for you when it's not bumping you to the poverty line, then back to the spreadsheet.

I'm after a damn good car that doesn't have an exhaust. That pretty much narrows the field to 1, despite customer service issues.

a) the wait

You’ll easily save 3k over 45k Miles even if that included some not charging at home.

If you haven’t driven a Tesla for long then I suggest renting one for a weekend and when it comes to going back to a fuel car you will probably never want to go back especially if the car is a manual

I went through the same, but from a different point of view.

I've never owned a brand new car. It's a scary thing for me signing up to have a car worth more than half the cost of my house!

I did comparisons based on money, looking at other new cars I could buy for that money, or equivalent which would cost less (mostly ICEs and hybrids, as there's no electric equivalent to the model 3). I also compared it to buying a second hand car, which would likely be my choice if it wasn't for the M3. None of that helped, as they were all superior financially.

Then I thought about what I actually wanted, why I was looking at a Tesla and an EV in the first place. The reasons were twofold:
1) electric cars are the future, ICEs the past. There are so many advantages to a electric motor, and I'm not talking about environmentally as that was way down on my list of reasons. Instant torque and home charging were the biggies, but there are a multitude of others.
2) Teslas are cool, to me at least. I've wanted one since the roadster came out, but have never been in a position to afford one before.

So, although I normally base all my decisions on a mainly logical and financial approach, my "heart" won out. The second reason above overrode most of the rest. The only financial element which came into it was "can I afford it, and am I likely to be able to afford it for the term of the finance?"

Beyond that, I'm getting my dream, my Tesla!

PS why oh why are no other manufacturers doing decent electric saloons or mid sized hatchbacks? Tesla is pretty much alone in that space. I have a serious dislike of the SUV and need more than a city car, which leaves the Tesla or an Ioniq, and the Ioniq range rules it out for my usage.

For me what I’ll be gaining with my M3 is performance, cheaper fuel, almost non existent maintenance and high tech, though there are some unfortunate omissions in the tech. What I know I’ll be losing is comfort and refinement, especially at over 70mph, and build quality. Although they have vastly improved, Tesla are not yet the masters of the perfect panel.

“Avoid polluting the planet
Force the incumbents to change their evil ways
Not fund the oil cartel
Support the underdog and disruptor
Power my car from my PV”

It’s odd how we differ. I couldn’t give a care for any of those.

Well maybe the last one appealed a smidge, for a few seconds, but even here in Portugal with expensive electricity and plentiful sunshine , the payback time is about 11 years ! Nuts !

So why buy a model S ? Well, after driving a new (basic) 911, Audi R8 , and other similar 80K beasts, the Tesla S (LR) impressed me. It’s the only one that makes my children truly smile and the only one they can be carried safely in.

“Avoid polluting the planet
Force the incumbents to change their evil ways
Not fund the oil cartel
Support the underdog and disruptor
Power my car from my PV”

It’s odd how we differ. I couldn’t give a care for any of those.

Well maybe the last one appealed a smidge, for a few seconds, but even here in Portugal with expensive electricity and plentiful sunshine , the payback time is about 11 years ! Nuts !

So why buy a model S ? Well, after driving a new (basic) 911, Audi R8 , and other similar 80K beasts, the Tesla S (LR) impressed me. It’s the only one that makes my children truly smile and the only one they can be carried safely in.
And that's the Tesla's amazing wining point. It doesn't really matter what position you approach it from, it's always going to be one of the short list, or the obvious winner when taking secondary considerations into account.
  • Save the planet? Got you covered.
  • Save the family? Got you covered.
  • M3 performance? Mostly got you covered.
  • Cargo hauling? prettygood if you don't live in the US and are hooked on pickups
  • Save on fuel? Got you covered.
  • Sticking it to 'forign oil'? Got you covered.
  • Love tech? Got you covered.
  • Into AI research or the singularity? Got you covered.
  • Etc etc.
Which ever one of these or others ultimately drives you, a Tesla has to be considered.

“Avoid polluting the planet”

I’m curious about this. I wonder how many of us on this forum actually swallow the BS. I guess its lees than half.
(happy to be corrected)
Great cars, undoubtedly, but the car’s full life cycle is certainly NOT green !

Research determines that the amount of greenhouse gas emissions which result from Teslas are are not much different from those generated by vehicles running on gasoline or diesel. Don’t get me started on battery manufacture !

Enjoy the performance and refined silent motoring, but lets leave the virtue signalling to the bloody Vegans and Snowflakes ?